Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

New Road Guest House

• chatz

Joined Travelfish
    7th March, 2009
    Location Ireland

Hey ppl

Just pondering but i have been researching places to stay in bangkok and i came across New Road Guest House, seems like a quality place to find my feet, however it is not on Khao San Road but on the Charoen Road. Is Charoen far from KSR and how does one get to Chareon Road? As it is my first time to Bangkok, all advice is greatly appreciated : )

#1 Posted: 11/6/2009 - 02:57

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hey Chatz,

It's nowhere near Khao San Road (which can be a very good thing sometimes.)

Best way to get from one to the other would be by water taxi, formally known as the Chao Phraya River Express boat. Only goes until just after sunset, though (another good thing.)

If you want to be within walking distance to the major temples, KSR, etc., then you might be better off considering staying somewhere in Banglamphoo or Samsen Districts. Personally, I don't recommend staying on KSR.

#2 Posted: 11/6/2009 - 03:36

• chatz

Joined Travelfish
    7th March, 2009
    Location Ireland

Tanx Tilapia

Your advices has been noted and greatly appreciated, i have heard that KSR is extremely seedy place and most places are not very habitable even if i am going to be roughing it.
    Do you know the guest house i am on about if so, would you reccommend it?

#3 Posted: 11/6/2009 - 07:23

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I know where the GH is, but I don't know what it's like.

KSR is more of a freak show circus than a seedy place. I don't care for KSR, but it is an eyeful that I usually encourage friends visiting Thailand to experience at least once, especially at night. It used to be a relatively chilled out place with tables and chairs on the road, no massive screens showing football or movies, cassette and clothing sellers, etc. It used to be a good place to meet other travelers, chat, have some beers, and stuff like that. I don't get the sense that it's that kind of place anymore. It's become very gentrified, in fact. The changes that have happened there could be the subject for an entire webpage.

Quite a few of the original bunch of GHs have been renovated and are pretty nice now, but I'd never stay in any of them because I can't stand the location, and they just aren't my style.

However, the crappy concrete cubicles still exist.

#4 Posted: 12/6/2009 - 00:34

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I visited the New Road Guest House earlier this year -- review is on the site. It's a pretty good spot -- well away from backpackersville -- but still has a real traveller's vibe. I liked it.

#5 Posted: 12/6/2009 - 10:03

• Skimonkey

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2009

Hi Chatz

Hope this is not too late for you? I stayed at the New Road GH when I first arrived in Thailand, been here about 5 weeks now, I would recomend it. Although if you stay in a fan room or dorm you may have a disturbed nights sleep as these are over the GH bar. Staff are helpfull & friendly. It's down by pier 1. Traveling up and down the river is the best and coolest way of getting around to the main Tourist spots. If any one tries to stop you before getting onto the boat saying you have to pay X or spouts you some bull just ignore them I paid between 13 & 18 BHT per trip depending on the speed of the boat to get me up to pier 11. You pay on the boat.

#6 Posted: 18/6/2009 - 13:34

• chatz

Joined Travelfish
    7th March, 2009
    Location Ireland

zup Skimonkey

Not at all, all info is greatly appreaciated and as i won't be in thailand for another 3 months i'm begining to get a vague picture of what thailand is going to be like when i do actually arrive. This will be my first time to bangkok and everyone i've spoken to has advised me to stay clear of KSR night when i first arrive. New Road Guest House just has this welcoming aura about it for some reason, but as you were once like myself a first time traveller to bangkok, is there newhere else you wud reccommend staying, just say i do arrive in thailand by night, some where close and reasonable.

Cheers

#7 Posted: 25/6/2009 - 08:17

• Skimonkey

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2009

Hi chatz

If you do arrive in the dead of night, you may want to stay near the airport, as jet-lag, sore back (airline seats) and everything else that goes with long haul flights makes for a less alert travller and more chance of getting ripped off by Taxi touts.

I fly from Phenom Phen to Bangkok in Sept then out of Bangkok the next day, thus I chose to stay close to the airport at the hotel below. Which I found on the agoda website (a little bit of luxury after all the dives iv'e been staying in).

Great Residence Suvarnabhumi Hotel (also does free pick up from the airport, see hotel info on agoda for pick up location)

http://www.agoda.com/

Just a note for you, if you do go into Bangkok after your flight (it took a little under an hour from the airport to NR Guest House) make sure you get a TAXI METER you can find them upstairs almost at the end of arrivals building when you come through customs. I say this as they are the cheapest way of getting into BKK. It should be around the 400BHT mark. I didn't do this and paid 550bht negotiated down from 800BHT. Some guys I met in the guest house paid 1450BHT for the same trip.

I find that smiling turning around and walking away often helps with price negotiations.

Take it easy.

#8 Posted: 9/7/2009 - 21:05

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"Personally, I don't recommend staying on KSR."

At the risk of sounding jaded, a lot of people go there, get their dreadlock extensions, make sure they dress the part with a Palestinian scarf and pretend they are in touch and aware. I find it all to be a bit phony and ridiculous.

#9 Posted: 12/7/2009 - 23:52

• Skimonkey

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

I'd agree. Although you also forgot to mention fake degree's driving licences etc etc............

#10 Posted: 22/7/2009 - 22:34

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Chiang Mai Junior Guest House, formerly SK Guest House...any thoughts? ... By rpblica54 on 27 Mar 2012 0 2019 27 Mar 2012
PENGUIN HOUSE-guest house& serviced apartment @sathorn ... By ccfay on 29 Jul 2008 0 4333 29 Jul 2008
Panda House a new guest house in down town Chiangmai ... By pandahouse on 10 May 2008 0 3571 10 May 2008
Thai House Inn Guest House ... By doveman on 5 May 2006 0 3120 5 May 2006
Mae Sot Guest House ... By cilee on 2 Apr 2010 2 5143 12 Jul 2011
My Anh guest house ... By myanhchau on 24 Jan 2007 0 3334 24 Jan 2007
Guest house in Mae Sot ... By ekkaphan on 20 Feb 2011 0 2820 20 Feb 2011
Gin’s Guest House ... By bmaumene on 26 Jul 2007 0 3066 26 Jul 2007
Guest House in Fang ... By jaliltan on 15 Oct 2006 0 2572 15 Oct 2006
Quinlins Guest House, Pai ... By gaynorquinlin on 19 Sep 2009 0 2519 19 Sep 2009