Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Laos Airlines

Posted by benhopes on 16/6/2009 at 21:51

Has anybody used Laos airlines?

I am thinking of booking a promotion (3 way flight) but just wanted to know how reliable they are and whether the flights are always scheduled.

The website seems a bit dodgy, there are two websites but I'm not sure which one to book with.

Ben

#1 benhopes has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 14

Posted by CunningMcFar on 16/6/2009 at 22:57

www.laoairlines.com is the official airline site; www.laos-airlines.com is run by ECCR, a French travel agency. There have been many reported problems with bookings from ECCR, myself included (pre-paid booking not honored when arrived in Laos), but I have not heard of any problems recently, perhaps they have cleaned up their act? For awhile, Lao Air was not doing any business with ECCR, apparently they were lax in paying up monies owed to the airline for bookings, buyer beware.

#2 CunningMcFar has been a member since 20/8/2004. Posts: 163
 Where has CunningMcFar been? 

Posted by CunningMcFar on 16/6/2009 at 23:08

FYI, just checked the Lao Air website and it looks like ECCR has been removed from the general sales agent listings, interesting

#3 CunningMcFar has been a member since 20/8/2004. Posts: 163

Posted by CunningMcFar on 16/6/2009 at 23:37

PS-there's a helpful article right here on TF regarding the Discovery Airpass, I think that may be the 3-leg promotion you referred to in your post? Legs can be run on any of the participating airlines: Bangkok Air, Lao Air, and Siem Reap Air: http://www.travelfish.org/feature/118

#4 CunningMcFar has been a member since 20/8/2004. Posts: 163

Posted by benhopes on 16/6/2009 at 23:58

Is www.laoairlines.com a bit of a joke? I want to view if flights are available between Vientienne and Phnom Penh and it wont let me do a search. It wont let me search any International journey. I wonder how people have booked in the past.

#5 benhopes has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 14

Posted by CunningMcFar on 17/6/2009 at 00:27

There have been functionality issues with the site when using any web browser other than Internet Explorer. Try again using IE and see if you have luck. I just tested with your route and it works fine with IE.

#6 CunningMcFar has been a member since 20/8/2004. Posts: 163

Posted by MADMAC on 17/6/2009 at 02:08

I have yet to fly Lao Air, although I have considered it to visit my cousin in Vientiane. I have, however, two concerns with the airline:

1. Safety. It's flying some pretty old aircraft and my confidence level that they are well maintained isn't high. Travelfish has a nice little write up on this. It's not horrible in this regard, but I am fussy about it.

2. Cost - it is not a cheap way to get around at all. I don't know why it's so much more expensive than Air Asia or Thai Airways, but it is.

So if I could find another transportation route, I would probably take it because I honestly don't like to fly. But I'll bet it's safer than taking a bus.

#7 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by Nokka on 17/6/2009 at 21:20

I have booked a flight from Vientiane to Saigon, which lands in Phnom Penh. Its with Vietnam Airlines, though I'm sure I've read somewhere that Vietnam Airlines and Laos Airlines use the same plane on this route (May be wrong). I got the flight by looking at www.kayak.com

Got the Vientiane to Saigon flight at an OKish price, but it was over double to only fly to PP. Why that is so, I'm not sure; but I assume Vietnam doesn't want its national airline dropping people off in a different country and spending their dollars there.

#8 Nokka has been a member since 6/4/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 259

Posted by exacto on 19/6/2009 at 18:15

hi ben,

here's a link to the Travelfish article MADMAC mentioned, if you haven't read it yet. it is:

http://www.travelfish.org/feature/50

that article is a few years old now, so i can't say how up to date the information is. but i did do quite a bit of research before that article got posted, and it all pointed to lao airlines being at least as safe as other regional carriers and much safer than other types of local transportation.

i'd also heard that lao airlines wasn't using the scarier Y-12 aircraft anymore too, but i cannot tell from their website if that is true or not.

in any case, i've flown lao airlines three different times and had a pretty great experience each time. there are quite a few comments posted by other travelfishers at the end of the above article too. perhaps they'll help you decide if this is the right choice for you or not. regards.

#9 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,606
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by CunningMcFar on 19/6/2009 at 22:03

yup, according to the website, Y12 no longer in service; aircraft in use appear to be: Airbus 320, ATR72, Fokker 70, MA60, and 737

#10 CunningMcFar has been a member since 20/8/2004. Posts: 163

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.