Thailand forum

Northern Thailand

• CatherineTh-
    ailandTraveller

Joined Travelfish
    18th June, 2009

Hi guys,

I was hoping for some advice regarding activities in the north,
    we would really like to meet some elephants, go white water rafting, and do some light trekking to visit the hill tribes or perhaps some bike riding. (etc)

I was wondering if anyone could advise us as to whether we should book an excursion or if there is a way for us to do these things ourselves? I've found 1 excursion from Nok Air, that included an elephant walk, mountain biking and white water rafting for roughly £116, (including flights from Bangkok return) however, they do all the activities in 1 day! It doesnt seem long enough?

We have about a week to spend in the North.

We would greatly appreciate any help/advice you can give us!
    Thankyou! :)

#1 Posted: 18/6/2009 - 05:16

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Catherine

There is so much here on Travelfish that your question suggests you have yet to explore Travelfish to find your answers.

Yes, you can do everything you want yourself. You only need a 'package' if you are afraid that you'll trip over your front doormat when leaving to go on a holiday!!

In the first instance, start trying these links:

http://www.travelfish.org/country/thailand

Then after eading, go to Northern Thailand (in the left box)...

http://www.travelfish.org/region/thailand/northern_thailand

Then, go hit any of the listed places for more, eg. Chiang Mae at:

http://www.travelfish.org/location/thailand/northern_thailand/chiang_mai/chiang_mai

Then, if you want to explore ideas, go to the Stories section...

http://www.travelfish.org/feature

scroll down and read any story that takes your fancy.

- - - -

If riding an elephant takes your fancy, I'd recommend Pai .

On the top left of this page, in the grey area, type Pai into the Research Travelfish 'box' and then look at the references.

After all that research, I'm hoping you will be able to post another question to we Travelfish contributors along the lines of:

{i]I've developed this itinerary, what do you think/ any suggestions.

day 1 - 5 BKK
    day 4 travel to ***

etc.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 18/6/2009 - 07:06

• CatherineTh-
    ailandTraveller

Joined Travelfish
    18th June, 2009

Thanks for your reply, I have been on this site for hours and visited many of the pages you suggested, lots and lots of brilliant ideas just wasn't sure which was best and wanted some first hand advice.

I haven't tried the stories page yet though so thanks for that!

Catherine

#3 Posted: 18/6/2009 - 09:29

• marhas

Joined Travelfish
    30th March, 2008

Catherine
    If you have a week in the North, I advise you to travel from Chiang Mai to Pai and Mae Hong Son . You can go by bus or also fly, there is SGA Airlines, that flys from Chiang Mai to Pai and Mae Hong Son, a machine with just 12 seats, you have a beautiful sight. From Pai you can do your own day-excursions to elephants and hilltribes or go rafting. Between Pai and Mae Hong Son you find one of the most beautiful jungle-streets in South East Asia. Near Mae Hong Son you can have a thjerapy wth hot mud for your face or ypour body. From Mae Hong Son you can also do a boat trip on Pai River to visit the Karen people or do a tour to the boarder of Myanmar, where you find a village of the Kuomintang Chinese. I dedicated my blog to all this, you find there a Guide for Chiang Mai, Pai and Mae Hong Son with a lot of background:
    http://my-lanna.blogspot.com

#4 Posted: 19/6/2009 - 21:46

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"From Pai you can do your own day-excursions to elephants and hilltribes or go rafting."

I'm sure there was no slight intended here, but "excursions to elephants and hilltribes" make the hilltribes sound like some sort of animal to be taken in by tourists. They're just people going about their daily lives...

#5 Posted: 19/6/2009 - 22:43

• KPTham1

Joined Travelfish
    26th September, 2006

Hie Catherine,
    Just returned from Chiangmai /Chiangrai about a week ago.I had a 1 day tour leaving Chiangmai about 9 am to Mae Wang and this include a elephant -ride for about an hour + , light trekking ( but not done due to the rain ), visit to a waterfall , white water rafting and return to Chiangmai by about 6 pm. The cost including lunch at one of the local's house was about 1000 bhts per person. You can arrange for the tour when you are in Chiangmai thru your hotel reception or at one of the many tours agencies. Just make sure that the specifics are clearly understood by everyone. A visit to the hilltribes is best done further out of Chiangmai separately . Suggest you shop around and compare prices when actually in Chiangmai .
    You can't do everthing with 1 week in the North.

#6 Posted: 21/6/2009 - 23:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.