Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

First time traveller-What to pack?!

• shazhippych-
    ild

Joined Travelfish
    20th June, 2009
    Location South Africa

I'm going overseas for the first time!YAY=)
    My boyfriend and I are going to backpack through Thailand for a month.
    I would like to know if anyone who's been to Thailand could help me out with some advice~
    Should I pack toiletries, like soap, shampoo, toothpaste, razors, etc. in before I go, or is it easier and cheaper to buy them once there?

This might be a silly question but I would really appreciate some help!
    Peace, Shaz

#1 Posted: 21/6/2009 - 02:33

• Advertisement

• ayesha

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about ayesha
    Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2009
    Location Thailand

Hey there !

Pack as little as possible, its easy to get most things on the way, clothes included......

Ayesha

#2 Posted: 21/6/2009 - 09:08

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

Yes, Thailand is a modern country where you can find toiletries pretty easy. There are good modern supermarkets too. Some things are cheaper in Thailand and some are not. Made in Thailand it will probably be cheap made in Europe or the US not so cheap. This varies though. I always have aftershave from back in the US because what I like is a little expensive and hard to find in Thailand. Toothpaste no problem. Deodorant, the have most brands but if you are fussy take your favorite. When you travel away from your hotel for several hours always have TP and hand wipes with you in your bag. TP you can "borrow" from your hotel, hand wipes you can get at a Watsons or Villa Market. If you use a pack or bag make sure you can lock it some way.

If your boyfriend has big feet (like me) replacement shoes will be a little harder to find unless he buys an expensive pair in a mall. I am talking about size 12 and above, not tiny Thai sized feet.

Leave home any expensive jewelry or electronics. If you have a family keepsake that you would cry over if it was stolen (by a fellow backpacker) you ought to leave that home. You won't even have to lug a laptop with you because there are lots of internet shops all over. But that is up to you.

Don't blow Bangkok off! Spend a few days there at the beginning of your trip and at least one final night there at the end of your trip. In Bangkok you can make arrangements for bus, train or air travel to other places. When you travel always keep your valuables (money, passport, meds, electronic gizmos) on your person or within sight! Many backpackers sign up for bus rides from the Khao San Road travel agencies, these are often the buses that have the most problems with with theft and rip-offs! If you use a bus get one from a regular bus station.

Good luck.

#3 Posted: 21/6/2009 - 09:42

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Don't bring anything that would piss you off if it were stolen (other than your passport and wallet - stuck with those). I don't want to paint theft as a huge issue here. I've lived here two years and never had anything stolen. But hotels are always a little problematic. Maid is probably getting paid around 150 baht a day... leave a month or twos wages lying around and she might be tempted.

#4 Posted: 22/6/2009 - 02:33

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Shaz

Go to:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/topic/travelgear

and have a look at some of the posts. Especially:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/travelgear/6441_traditional-backpack--vs--hybrid-pack

This last reference has comments from seasoned travellers. It may help you.

Keep your gear light, but also focussed on what you'll need. Don't take things just in case.

Cheers

#5 Posted: 22/6/2009 - 10:44

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I always carry a weapon too... but I suspect that in that sense I am considered weird among most of those on the board. Friend of mine here is a high ranking policeman and he recommended it!

#6 Posted: 22/6/2009 - 14:33

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

If you are into wearing moisturiser, I would suggest bringing this from home. My sister ran out and I think it was impossible to find any without whitener added to it!

I agree with the others thought - everything else is readily available.

I learned my lesson after travelling to Thailand last year - and will be bringing much less with me this time!

#7 Posted: 22/6/2009 - 14:36

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Moisturiser without whitening (bleach), is available at the larger supermarkets, and the cash'n'carry stores.

Cheers

#8 Posted: 23/6/2009 - 08:41

• billbevan01

Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2009
    Location Global Village

Hi, you can virtually everything in thailand and mostly save money compared to home. Streets such as Soi Rambuttri in Bangkok also have a few second hand gear stalls of stuff from other backpackers which can be good for things such as travel plugs.

#9 Posted: 23/6/2009 - 16:14

• thaiXplorer

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2012
    Location Germany
    Total reviews: 7

I agree
    only 2 things more:
    good sunblocker is expensive
    and good underwear
    and get a neck pouch
    for your passport!

#10 Posted: 5/6/2012 - 22:44

• Advertisement

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

this is 3 years old thaiXstrangeone

#11 Posted: 8/6/2012 - 19:40

• time2fly

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012
    Location Canada

lol.. strong bump I guess. Better late then never?

#12 Posted: 11/6/2012 - 00:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.