Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

One night, and day, in Bangkok

• satori_kicks

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009

Hi all,

Myself and a mate are travelling to Southeast Asia in September for a month, which will mostly focus on Vietnam.

That said, we will be flying into Bangkok in the late PM on our first day, and flying out, again in the late PM, the next day to Hanoi.

Just wondering what is the best way to spend this stop over in Bangkok...
    - where should we stay?
    - what should we get up to?

Thanks,
    Ben.

#1 Posted: 23/6/2009 - 14:11

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Where should you stay? How much do you want to spend and what do you want to do? Most guys who spend a night in Bangkok want to chase women - Sukhimvite is probably the best place to do that, and there are a million places to stay in all price ranges.

#2 Posted: 23/6/2009 - 14:24

• satori_kicks

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009

Not interesting in getting drunk, or chasing women. Just keen to stay somewhere laid back with maybe a few very chilled out bars around, and spend the following day (before the flight) checking out interesting things.

#3 Posted: 23/6/2009 - 14:51

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

'Chilled out bars'and Bangkok do not really go to well together.There are a couple off Sukhumvit-The Offshore in,I think,Soi 23, and the Hare and Hounds in Washington Square which,I think, is in Soi 28.But you would'nt really call them chilled out either.There are probably others too.There is no women in these bars and are frequented mainly by Expats.
    You're probably better off to stay in Khao San road where there are plenty of bars, restaurants and backpackers.This is not far from Wat Arun,The King's Palace, Wat Pho,Wat Saket and the Chao Praya river.Plenty to see during the day.Hope this helps.

#4 Posted: 23/6/2009 - 15:13

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Good advice from Thaiman there. Yeah, Bangkok just isn't "Chilled out" - that's not what Bangkok is about. Even in the non-tourist areas like out in Bang Sue where a cousin of mine lives, it's not chilled out, it's a rat race.

#5 Posted: 23/6/2009 - 18:08

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Hi Ben,

There is a strip of cool little clubs and small bars along Thanon Phra Athit, which runs beside the Chao Phraya River in Banglamphoo, not too far from Khao San Road and within walking distance to many of the significant temples and other sights (as Thaiman says.) They are quite small and intimate. Despite the traffic on the street outside, they are pretty chilled out inside. Most are frequented by students from the nearby university, but farang are catching on slowly. You'll probably find like music (mostly acoustic Thai stuff.) Great food at the ones I've been to, as well.

Lots of good daytime eating places along this strip, too. You're right by the Chao Phraya Express Boat pier.

There are dozens and dozens of guest houses in this area. Good chance you'll find what you are looking for in Banglamphoo or Samsen. Especially with the time you have.

#6 Posted: 23/6/2009 - 18:52

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

If you need a few hours oxygen and chlorophyll fix before hitting the bars and happen to be there are at the weekend then you could go to Taling Chan floating market.

It's a small and relatively quiet floating market, mostly patronized by Thais. They do cool canal trips to an orchid farm too and stop off at a couple of Wats en route... costs 90B for about 2 hours if I remember right so it's a pretty good value excursion. Best to try and be there for 9am, do a canal boat ride and then come back for a seafood lunch at the floating market before going back to the smog of Bangkok. On Sundays they do a 3 hour canal trip to the snake farm but that leaves about 1pm I think so lunch first for that one.

You can get to Taling Chan by hopping on a #79 A/C bus ...the route goes past the World Trade Centre at Chitlom if you're in the Sukhumvit area or Democracy Monument if you're around Khao San Road ...bus costs about 20B each way and it takes about an hour to get there from central Bangkok.

There are some pics of Taling Chan on my flickr site if you are interested.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8675349@N06/

#7 Posted: 23/6/2009 - 23:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.