Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

The Gulf of Thailand in August?

• shazhippych-
    ild

Joined Travelfish
    20th June, 2009
    Location South Africa

I'm going to Thailand for the month of August. I know it's not the best time to go, but heard that the western coast of the Gulf experiences better weather~ie. less rain during the monsoon season. Anybody have any suggestions on where to go. I'm looking for mainly 'beachy' areas that have budget backpacker's accomodation.
    Would really appreciate any help=)

Peace, Shaz

#1 Posted: 28/6/2009 - 20:33

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Ko Phangan or Ko Tao are your best bets for good weather at that time of year.

Click on "islands" in the bar at the of this page and look at the travelfish descriptions of those two islands.

You'll find detailed maps, information about the different beaches and stuff to do etc not to mention loads of GH accommodation recommendations/reviews.

#2 Posted: 28/6/2009 - 21:04

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Yep, southern Gulf is normally the go in August - that area tends to have a different wet season, Oct into Jan. TRAVELFISH'S great interactive weather map gives you the stats.
    I'm also a fan of Phangan and Tao, although if you want commercial, more westernised resorts plus nightlife, Chaweng and Lamai on Samui are the go. Some more laid back beaches on Samui too - I'll be there this August.

#3 Posted: 29/6/2009 - 14:57

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Realise I didn't give you much info on beaches.

Okay, Phangan laid back - Mae Hat, Bottle Beach, Mai Pen Rai to mention 3 of many.
    Party - Hat Rin.
    Compromise - Hat Yao west, Hat Salad, Thong Nai Pan, Leela.

Tao laid back - east coast bays, small beaches south west corner, Ko Nangyuan (gets a bit busy with daytrippers 1000 to 1500)
    Party - Sairee
    Compromise - Chalok Ban Kao

Samui laid back - most north coast beaches, Thong Takian, Coral Bay, far south east beaches.
    Party - Chaweng, Lamai
    Compromise - Mae Nam, Big Budha

#4 Posted: 29/6/2009 - 15:07

• Minang

Joined Travelfish
    11th July, 2007

Koh Phangan, Koh Tao are good at this time of year. Many different beaches on Koh Phangan, from very quiet to all out rage, take your pick.
    Kao Tao, a bit over run with the dive scene, but still quiet beaches and good snorkeling.
    Koh Samui is bigger, more western and very developed, although there are still quiet places and interesting spots.
    Koh Phangan is still my favorite.
    Have fun

#5 Posted: 29/6/2009 - 15:09

• hisa

Joined Travelfish
    26th November, 2010

Holiday Brochure World is one of best African tour operators who provide an affordable flight to Africa.
    Holidays in South Africa

#6 Posted: 26/11/2010 - 11:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Beach In August: Andaman Coast vs. Gulf of Thailand ... By shaka317 on 4 May 2012 2 2355 10 May 2012
Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Gulf Island in August ... By purpleceline on 5 Mar 2012 5 1249 9 Mar 2012