Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

The Gulf of Thailand in August?

Posted by shazhippychild on 28/6/2009 at 20:33

I'm going to Thailand for the month of August. I know it's not the best time to go, but heard that the western coast of the Gulf experiences better weather~ie. less rain during the monsoon season. Anybody have any suggestions on where to go. I'm looking for mainly 'beachy' areas that have budget backpacker's accomodation.
Would really appreciate any help=)

Peace, Shaz

#1 shazhippychild has been a member since 20/6/2009. Location: South Africa. Posts: 12

Posted by SBE on 28/6/2009 at 21:04

Ko Phangan or Ko Tao are your best bets for good weather at that time of year.

Click on "islands" in the bar at the of this page and look at the travelfish descriptions of those two islands.

You'll find detailed maps, information about the different beaches and stuff to do etc not to mention loads of GH accommodation recommendations/reviews.

#2 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,002
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by tezza on 29/6/2009 at 14:57

Yep, southern Gulf is normally the go in August - that area tends to have a different wet season, Oct into Jan. TRAVELFISH'S great interactive weather map gives you the stats.
I'm also a fan of Phangan and Tao, although if you want commercial, more westernised resorts plus nightlife, Chaweng and Lamai on Samui are the go. Some more laid back beaches on Samui too - I'll be there this August.

#3 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,338
 Website 

Posted by tezza on 29/6/2009 at 15:07

Realise I didn't give you much info on beaches.

Okay, Phangan laid back - Mae Hat, Bottle Beach, Mai Pen Rai to mention 3 of many.
Party - Hat Rin.
Compromise - Hat Yao west, Hat Salad, Thong Nai Pan, Leela.

Tao laid back - east coast bays, small beaches south west corner, Ko Nangyuan (gets a bit busy with daytrippers 1000 to 1500)
Party - Sairee
Compromise - Chalok Ban Kao

Samui laid back - most north coast beaches, Thong Takian, Coral Bay, far south east beaches.
Party - Chaweng, Lamai
Compromise - Mae Nam, Big Budha

#4 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,338
 Website 

Posted by Minang on 29/6/2009 at 15:09

Koh Phangan, Koh Tao are good at this time of year. Many different beaches on Koh Phangan, from very quiet to all out rage, take your pick.
Kao Tao, a bit over run with the dive scene, but still quiet beaches and good snorkeling.
Koh Samui is bigger, more western and very developed, although there are still quiet places and interesting spots.
Koh Phangan is still my favorite.
Have fun

#5 Minang has been a member since 11/7/2007. Posts: 2

Posted by hisa on 26/11/2010 at 11:32

Holiday Brochure World is one of best African tour operators who provide an affordable flight to Africa.
Holidays in South Africa

#6 hisa has been a member since 26/11/2010. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.