Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

bus-bkk to chumphon, times

• mitchell

Joined Travelfish
    26th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

wanting to go to ko tao and cant find (in english anyway) the timetable from sai tai mai bus terminal to chumphon to catch the 7am boats to the island.
    any help with the departure times would be great.
    thank you

#1 Posted: 29/6/2009 - 17:44

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

If you don't want to use the ferry company buses (Lompraya etc) from KSR then any night bus going to Ranong or Phuket goes through Chumphon too. It's about two hours from Chumphon to Ranong (7 hours from Chumphon to Phuket) so you can work out approximately what time the bus arrives in Chumphon from that.

There are a lot of private companies as well as govt buses at the Southern bus terminal. I have a feeling there's a 1st class 24 seater VIP govt bus that goes to Chumphon leaving around 8 pm, slightly less comfortable private ones leaving a bit later. Probably best to get there a couple of hours early to be sure of getting a seat....I'd say try and be there by 6pm. You can have a beer or a meal or get a foot massage while waiting for your bus. ;-)

#2 Posted: 29/6/2009 - 19:26

• mitchell

Joined Travelfish
    26th June, 2009

thanx. i want to avoid the ksr buses and get to chumphon about 5-6am to catch one of the 7am fast boats. ive done the night ferries too many times to kpg in the past. i was thinking that if its only about 5-6 hours, i should get on a bus by 11pm but dont know if any are leaving at that time. dont feel like sitting in chumphon from 2-3am onwards waiting for the boat.
    we'll see.

#3 Posted: 30/6/2009 - 18:03

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

In that case take the train, get a second class sleeper....fan or A/C. It leaves about 7-7.30pm I think but you can google for the schedule. That particular train ALWAYS arrives later than the scheduled time in Chumphon, usually about 4.30-5am sometimes even later so you'll have less time to wait.

You can buy ferry tickets when you get to Chumphon....take your pick as to which boat but they all leave at 7am. Boat tickets all include transport to the various piers and that leaves at about 6am from the train station.

You need to book train sleeper tickets a bit in advance though...especially around full moon party time.

#4 Posted: 30/6/2009 - 19:49

• mitchell

Joined Travelfish
    26th June, 2009

just got some reliable info(hopefully!) at a tourist kiosk on phra athit road.
    from sai tai mai. bkk to chumphon times are:

14:00 21:00 21:40 22:00 about 7 hours fare 347Baht

dont know if its a typo but the times listed from chumphon to bkk are exactly the same.

city bus #124 leaves from phra athit under the bridge from 5am to 9pm(last bus departure) to sai tai mai

from the same handout, the train times are:

dep bkk
    08:06

#5 Posted: 1/7/2009 - 16:06

• mitchell

Joined Travelfish
    26th June, 2009

sorry, if you hit the tab key by mistake, you post what is there and cant return. lesson learned!

again, train times from hualampong station:

DEP BKK ARR CHUMP

08:06 14:19
    13:00 21:01
    14:46 21:47
    19:31 03:44
    22:51 05:42

no prices are listed for the train. state railway hotline # 1690

for the boats:
    songserm exp boat dep 07:00 arr kotao 10:00 from tha yang pier B450
    ekawin speed ferry dep 07:00 " 10:00 " B450
    " dep 07:00 arr08:30 from tha thung makham noi B550
    " dep 13:00 arr 14:30 " B550
    lom phaya high speed ferry dep07:00 arr08:30 " B550
    " dep14:00 arr15:30 " B550
    night boat dep 24:00 arr 06:00 from tha yang hotel B200

i hope this is the right info and helps everyone. if i see any differences i will post later.
    snorkeling tomorrow!

#6 Posted: 1/7/2009 - 16:24

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I usually get a 511 bus to Sai Tai Mai ...it's an A/C orange bus and the fare is about 20B. Exact bus route can be found on the BMTA site.

http://www.bmta.co.th/en/bus_search.php?cat=1&place=Southern+Bua+Terminal&Submit=+++Go+++

Train times look accurate...don't be tempted to get the later train at 22.51 as it gets to Chumphon too late to catch the 7am ferries. (It's always late too).

Never heard of Ekawin ferries. What happened to Seatran?

Sometimes the Seatran used to arrive at Ko Tao before the Lomphraya because the latter stops at Ko Nang Yuan first ...depends what kind of boat Seatran are using that day. They have fast ones and slow ones...it's never very obvious which when you buy your tickets.

Also 8.30am arrival for the Lomphraya is a bit optimistic...more like 9am.

#7 Posted: 1/7/2009 - 17:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.