Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Chiang Mai best hostel?

Posted by SarahJay on 1/7/2009 at 17:20

Hi everyone. I'm going to Chiang Mai for Songkran and would like your advice on the best place to stay? I'm on a budget but want somewhere clean, comfortable and friendly! Would like to stay close to the action but not too close that I am getting soaked constantly! Any advise would be great.

#1 SarahJay has been a member since 25/6/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by MADMAC on 1/7/2009 at 18:47

Sarah
Any hotel that is physically in Thailand is probably close enough to the action that you'll get constantly soaked. As soon as you drive or walk near people, you will be soaked. I assume you've been in Thailand during Songkran before? It's not as if certain areas a sectioned off for songkran. You can be driving down the highway at 100 KPH on your motorcycle (like I was) and still have kids run out and throw water on you. In small villages you can still be assaulted. I don't know what happens during Songkran, but Thais seem to lose all sense of restraint and decorum. I was once caught in traffic and four middle aged Thai women literally assaulted me. One put her hands down my pants, one started kissing me, the other two were rubbing white powder all over me and dousing me with water. The entire street was drunk. And this was in provincial Thailand!!!

I recommend the DuangTawan in Chiang Mai. Several friends of mine have stayed there and given it an excellent review.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by somtam2000 on 1/7/2009 at 18:48 admin

In Chiang Mai would suggest booking in advance -- have you looked at the listings in the accommodation section for Chiang Mai?

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by SarahJay on 2/7/2009 at 21:11

Thanks to both of you. No, I've never been before but thought it looked liked a good time to go. I've looked at the listings but there's so many too choose from!! Having the same trouble deciding where to stay for the full moon aswell but will keep searching through! Thanks so much.

#4 SarahJay has been a member since 25/6/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by MADMAC on 3/7/2009 at 00:43

Sarah
Just a word of caution (sarah sounds like a woman). A German friend of mine (attractive, blond, busty) was here for Songkran and decided she wanted the "experience". So my wife's friend brought her pickup, and we drove in the back... it got so bad we had to put her in the middle of the bed of the pickup because drunk Thais kept fondling her breasts. Songkran can get out of control. I'm not trying to scare you, but I recommend doing this experience in a group and staying close enough to your hotel so you can seek refuge if you feel you need it.

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by Sparts on 8/7/2009 at 12:46

I stayed at the SK, 400 Bhat per night. No aircon, just a fan but very basic. Lots of westerners there.
I also stayed at the Charcoa which was just around the corner for 1200 per night - it was lovely and worth the extra cash for a little extra comfort.

#6 Sparts has been a member since 5/6/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 167
 Where has Sparts been? 

Posted by billbevan01 on 15/7/2009 at 03:34

A friend of mine lost one of her finger tips in Chiang Mai during Songkran. She was on the back of a moped when someone leapt out and through a bucket of water straight into her mate's face who was driving and they both skidded off.

Songkran or Pamplona bull run - which would you choose? ;)

#7 billbevan01 has been a member since 19/6/2009. Location: Global Village. Posts: 46
 Website 

Posted by MADMAC on 15/7/2009 at 14:03

Songkran - more fun.

I like Songkran, but it's not safe. If you are into safety, give it a miss. If you are into rowdy, drunken free for alls - you'll love it.

#8 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.