Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Chiang Mai best hostel?

• SarahJay

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2009

Hi everyone. I'm going to Chiang Mai for Songkran and would like your advice on the best place to stay? I'm on a budget but want somewhere clean, comfortable and friendly! Would like to stay close to the action but not too close that I am getting soaked constantly! Any advise would be great.

#1 Posted: 1/7/2009 - 17:20

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Sarah
    Any hotel that is physically in Thailand is probably close enough to the action that you'll get constantly soaked. As soon as you drive or walk near people, you will be soaked. I assume you've been in Thailand during Songkran before? It's not as if certain areas a sectioned off for songkran. You can be driving down the highway at 100 KPH on your motorcycle (like I was) and still have kids run out and throw water on you. In small villages you can still be assaulted. I don't know what happens during Songkran, but Thais seem to lose all sense of restraint and decorum. I was once caught in traffic and four middle aged Thai women literally assaulted me. One put her hands down my pants, one started kissing me, the other two were rubbing white powder all over me and dousing me with water. The entire street was drunk. And this was in provincial Thailand!!!

I recommend the DuangTawan in Chiang Mai. Several friends of mine have stayed there and given it an excellent review.

#2 Posted: 1/7/2009 - 18:47

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

In Chiang Mai would suggest booking in advance -- have you looked at the listings in the accommodation section for Chiang Mai?

#3 Posted: 1/7/2009 - 18:48

• SarahJay

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2009

Thanks to both of you. No, I've never been before but thought it looked liked a good time to go. I've looked at the listings but there's so many too choose from!! Having the same trouble deciding where to stay for the full moon aswell but will keep searching through! Thanks so much.

#4 Posted: 2/7/2009 - 21:11

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Sarah
    Just a word of caution (sarah sounds like a woman). A German friend of mine (attractive, blond, busty) was here for Songkran and decided she wanted the "experience". So my wife's friend brought her pickup, and we drove in the back... it got so bad we had to put her in the middle of the bed of the pickup because drunk Thais kept fondling her breasts. Songkran can get out of control. I'm not trying to scare you, but I recommend doing this experience in a group and staying close enough to your hotel so you can seek refuge if you feel you need it.

#5 Posted: 3/7/2009 - 00:43

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

I stayed at the SK, 400 Bhat per night. No aircon, just a fan but very basic. Lots of westerners there.
    I also stayed at the Charcoa which was just around the corner for 1200 per night - it was lovely and worth the extra cash for a little extra comfort.

#6 Posted: 8/7/2009 - 12:46

• billbevan01

Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2009
    Location Global Village

A friend of mine lost one of her finger tips in Chiang Mai during Songkran. She was on the back of a moped when someone leapt out and through a bucket of water straight into her mate's face who was driving and they both skidded off.

Songkran or Pamplona bull run - which would you choose? ;)

#7 Posted: 15/7/2009 - 03:34

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Songkran - more fun.

I like Songkran, but it's not safe. If you are into safety, give it a miss. If you are into rowdy, drunken free for alls - you'll love it.

#8 Posted: 15/7/2009 - 14:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.