Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Recommended bars, restaurants, massage and places to see in BKK

• gypsy75

Joined Travelfish
    2nd July, 2009
    Location New Zealand

Having just spent 3 weeks in Bangkok I had a lot of time to suss out the good places to eat and get a massage around Khao San Rd area.

There are heaps of places on Khao San itself which are pretty decent but if you walk into the small alleyway (Trok Mayom)that runs parallel to the street (Khao San Palace side) there is a literal rabbit warren of charming and cute little places that aren't as rowdy and drunken as those on KS. My favourite was a restaurant called 'Smiths' which is located about halfway along upstairs from a jewellery shop. The food is seriously amazing, fresh, delicious. It has a mixture of Thai and western dishes - satay burgers, the best chicken caesar I have tasted and great cheap red wine. On top of this, it is a funky little place owned by a lovely young Thai guy and I suspect, his mum is the chef.

Another goodie is Green House on Soi Rambuttri.....yummy food with a Middle Eastern focus, real coffee and free WIFI!

As a former masseuse I am picky about massages but the girls at Chandara Spa - which is on the same alley as 'Smiths' are truly talented, and strong! for about 250baht you can get 1 1/2 hrs of bliss combining oil, thai and herbal massage. And the place is very clean and looks like a traditional Thai house.

Let me know your favourite spots in the city.

#1 Posted: 3/7/2009 - 19:05

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

My favorite place to stay is the honey house inn (Honey House one, not two). It's buried in a little courtyard, has a cute massage place (foot massage there is tough to beat) there, Larry's Dive (which serves some pretty good Quesadea (spelling?) and the famous CIA Burger is right on the corner, and there is also an excellent Korean restaraunt buried in there as well (I love Bulgogi). Rooms are cheap at 800 baht a night (OK, cheap for me... I know some here would consider that pricey) and clean. It's on soi 22 of Sukhimvite road in Klong Toey. In fact, I'm going there next week - need a new passport.

#2 Posted: 3/7/2009 - 21:34

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I've always been a fan of Cabbages & Condoms restaurant on Sukhumvit Soi 12. Great food, reasonable prices for what you get, and a delightful garden atmosphere. It's a fun stop on any trip to Bangkok.

MADMAC also mentioned Larry's Dive. That used to be one of my favorite spots in the lower Sukhumvit area too. MAC, do you know if Rob, the Canadian who founded the place is still around? Cheers.

#3 Posted: 4/7/2009 - 02:22

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

I like to eat at Suda Restaurant off Sukhumvit.Don't know the Soi number but it's pretty well opposite Soi 19.Very good Thai food and cheap.It's been there ever since I've been going to Bangkok which has been 20 years or so.Very popular with Expats living in BKK.

#4 Posted: 5/7/2009 - 04:23

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"MAC, do you know if Rob, the Canadian who founded the place is still around? Cheers."

Exacto
    I think he is, but I will find out for sure and post here.

#5 Posted: 5/7/2009 - 11:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Hanoi-bars and restaurants suggestions needed ... By anmi212 on 2 Apr 2008 9 6791 10 Apr 2008
Recommendations for Massage Places? ... By dreamxy on 25 Mar 2013 0 1810 25 Mar 2013