Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Tours \ Treks

• fevoldj2

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2009

I've been looking at various jungle treks and they seem to range in price between $250 - $500 for overnight stays. That seems like a lot of money if it is something that is possible to do alone. I have been thinking about going to Khao Sok NP. Is it possible to ride the elephants, go on the river, stay in the floating bungalows, etc and put the trip together piece by piece upon arrival? It would be nice to have freedom over having to stay with a tour group if this is possible and cheaper.

Thank you

#1 Posted: 4/7/2009 - 05:55

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

fevoldj2

For that sort of price, I'd come over from Australia and guide you myself.

You don't say when you are planning to visit Thailand, however, unless it is high season (when everything may be full) INMO it's easier, cheaper and more interesting to do it yourself.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 4/7/2009 - 08:26

• fevoldj2

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2009

I will be flying there with my mother on the 17th of July and we are staying for two weeks. We plan on visiting Chiang Mai (and Chiang Dao), Bangkok, Krabi, Kho Phi Phi and Khao Sock, maybe some small islands if time permits.

#3 Posted: 4/7/2009 - 08:28

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

$500 a day is pretty high end -- you'll see most "adventure tour companies" offering quite reasonable tours at around the $100-200 a day mark. While this sounds like a lot -- considering it generally includes everything, it can work out to a reasonable deal -- depends what you're after.

Re Khao Sok, yes, you can arrange everything their solo upon arrival.

#4 Posted: 4/7/2009 - 09:08

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

$500 is outrageous!
    I was there last week, we booked a tour through green eco tours, next to the SK guest house. The tour cost around 1000 bhat per person and lasted from 8am to 8pm. We rode elephants (in the jungle , not the road like some others), visited a butterfly & flower shop (which was naff but only 20 mins - I think this was to switch vehicles for a 4x4)visited a tribe, hiked to waterfalls, had lunch, white water rafting (not too extreme), bamboo rafting and drive home to the guest house.
    The guide was excellent, very funny and really showed us a good time. I think the trip was number B135 but don't quote me on that. Our group consisted of 8 people. Sounds like a busy day, but it wasn't rushed. Arrived back wet and very tired - A great day out!

#5 Posted: 8/7/2009 - 12:52

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

ps The elephants were great - we were riding them bearback at one point and the experience lasted over an hour.

Also, the day before we visited the Tiger Kingdom, it sounds corny but was good fun and cost 800 bhat per person to go into the cages with these "tame" tigers. You can choose packages, large, medium or small (cubs - 3 months old). We chose the small and large option. The guides were good fun and really went out of their way for us. The animals are very well looked after.

#6 Posted: 8/7/2009 - 12:56

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

fevoldj2

1000baht = US$29.

Cheers

#7 Posted: 8/7/2009 - 12:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.