Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Beaches and Babies

• billbevan01

Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2009
    Location Global Village

Hi, we're travelling for the first time with a baby this year. We will be going to Thailand in October with our 6 month old for 4 months. We're keen to spend a lot of Dec/Jan on an island with quiet beaches, snorkelling off the beach, good access to water for washing and a hospital nearby just in case we need one, though hopefully we won't. Oh, and hopefully accommodation under 500 baht. So, not asking much :)

Does anyone have suggestions for good places to head to?

#1 Posted: 6/7/2009 - 04:19

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

billbevan01

May I suggest that rather than asking people to suggest answers, you make out a rough itinerary of what YOU would like to do, places/islands where YOU would like to go, etc.

Then post on Travelfish with the question:

We're travelling with a bub, do these places have access to ...(etc.)

And, in seeking YOUR itinerary, click on the Thailand link at the top of this page.

On the left is a box called "Jump to a Destination" with area links. For example, look at Islands in Thailand. You'll see a host of islands listed. Go to any one of these. You'll see that each link has a page with links to accommodation, etc.

I'm certain you will be able to research a good outcome for yourself, and at the same time, become in charge of your own journey.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 6/7/2009 - 07:38

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia

Hi bill, having spent a bit time on the thai islands places like Lanta or Chang offer good safe swimming options with your bub.There are numerous families with young children and babies having a great time.Chang also has a large international clinic,not sure about Lanta.One problem you'll have is maybe your budget.Jan is peak season so 500 baht could be an issue in the type of room you can afford.Hope that helps.
    swag

#3 Posted: 6/7/2009 - 07:51

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

The best snorkelling off the beach islands I know are Kradan, Ngai, Whai, Lipe, Phi Phi, Tao and Phangan (we'll exclude the National Park islands because you wont get hospitals).

No hospitals also exclude the first 4 above - Lipe has a clinic. I'm not sure about Tao, but you would think with all the divers they would have something better than a clinic. Cost excludes Phi Phi. So that leaves good old Phangan. Weather sometimes can be a bit wetter here in Dec, but apart from that it is a good island - some of the better off the beach snorkelling is at Mae Had (Hat Mae Haad Mea) which also has some nice budget resorts. Check TRAVELFISH'S page.

#4 Posted: 6/7/2009 - 13:21

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

The clinic on Tao is very small and mostly specializes in motorbike injuries. All of the islands Tezza mentions have limited water supplies which are stretched to the limit because of the pressure of tourism. How much washing are you intending to do?

Lipe has a serious trash problem and the water shortage there is critical. What they have is contaminated by fecal waste. There was a long thread about the disastrous environmental impact of tourism on TT recently. The OP posted some pictures of the trash.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1761669

#5 Posted: 6/7/2009 - 15:36

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Sorry, forgot to add that you are going to be hard pressed to find anywhere at under 500B! If you do then the facilities are going to be very basic. Ko Ngai is mostly upmarket resorts so that's out. Nearby Ko Kradan has some snorkelling too and is a bit cheaper but it'll still be a lot more than 500B.

#6 Posted: 6/7/2009 - 15:42

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I think as tezza says, Ko Phangan is probably going to be your best bet It's relatively low cost, has some facilities and you could rent somewhere by the month for cheaper. I There's a bit of snorkelling and it's pretty easy to get to Samui for hospital treatment. You can even charter a speedboat if necessary.

Only downside will be the weather as it's still rainy season in Dec/Jan there.

Sorry about the triple posting... afterthoughts. We lack an edit function on here ...ahem. ;-)

#7 Posted: 6/7/2009 - 16:05

• billbevan01

Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2009
    Location Global Village

Hi Swag, SBE and Tezza - thanks for your thoughts which are all useful.

BruceMoon - you're wrong on all accounts and just wasting your own typing time. I deliberately did not put down any itinery or any of the ideas we've already had so as to see if anyone was willing to offer suggestions on a blank canvas and get some fresh perspectives. Which Swag, Tezza and SBE have kindly done with positive ideas. Just because we didn't put in an itinery doesn't mean we won't be in charge of our time in Thailand or that we have our own ideas. Presumably if you spend time travelling you sometimes listen to other people and perhaps hear of places you haven't already thought of and think that might be nice to visit and spontaneously head off there - 'off itinery'? If we posted an itinery we might solely encourage people to respond to the places on it rather than get a fresh insight and perhaps hear of places we hadn't known about from people who had been there with babies who can actually suggest places based on their experiences of being there with their children that we can then consider. Hell, we might even just go back to Guatemala again and meet up with a friend we made there who has just had a baby. Unlikely though - we're almost certain to return to Thailand this time for our first winter out of the UK since our baby was born.

We've both been travelling since the early 1990. My partner worked in Paraguay and Nigeria in the 1980s. We don't need cod advice on posting to a forum thanks all the same.

#8 Posted: 6/7/2009 - 16:35

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I've just deleted a bunch of posts off this thread -- lets keep things on track. BruceMoon -- am emailing you direct.

Thanks

#9 Posted: 6/7/2009 - 18:18

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Oh and I forgot to say, my tip would be to either Ko Lanta or Ko Pha Ngan. These are the only two with a good supply of accommodation under 500B. Another option could be KoChang (in Ranong prov) it is quite similar to Ko Lanta, but not covered on Travelfish unfortunately...

Quite timely question actually - we've just started a ten week series on travelling with kids - first part is here 10 tips for packing for bubsters.

Cheers

#10 Posted: 6/7/2009 - 18:36

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Somtam
    You're always trying to keep things civilized. Bruce can't help himself, he's an old man. Besides, his spiky personality sometimes not withstanding, I like him.

#11 Posted: 6/7/2009 - 19:19

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

The visibility in the water on little Ko Chang (and Ko Phayam) is terrible. I've spent months on Ko Phayam over the years and it's extremely rare to be able to see the coral unless your're about 6 inches away from it. Also there are often a lot of stingers in the water around there.

I didn't find any good snorkelling from the beach on Lanta either... and there were stingers there too.It was impossible to stay in the water for long when I was there.

I think Ko Phagnan is the only option given the wish list. Friends of mine rented a small traditional house on the west coast for a few months about 3 years ago for a ridiculously low price. I think it was 350B/day and included motorcycle rental...it wasn't directly on a beach though. I'd look at that option if I were you. Wait till you get there and have a look round for something suitable. It would be better than an ordinary beach hut...more living space.

It will be high season though (in spite of the weather) so no guarantees you'll get anything decent that cheap when you go.

#12 Posted: 6/7/2009 - 19:43

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Somtam

You delete my posts!!!

I criticised the bevan for misleading people.

It had the audacity to know in advance what it wanted, yet submitted a request as though it was without knowledge and was seeking ideas and help.

And, various ppl spent time helping.

Then, it goes and admits its devious little ways in a contemptuous fashion.

So, I gather from your actions that you welcome and entertain time wasting clowns!

bleagh!!!!!

to the bevan, which reminded

#13 Posted: 7/7/2009 - 05:31

• billbevan01

Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2009
    Location Global Village

Hi Everyone, thanks for your really useful ideas which are really valuable first-hand information on lot of places. We haven't any preconceived ideas on where to go and lots of these places are places we haven't visited so all of this is fantastic knew information that will really help us decide where to visit.

Somtam - thanks for the tips for travelling with babies. This will be a new experience for us. We agree completely about the nappies. We really don't want to leave piles of disposables behind us when in Thailand. We use re-usables now - Bambino Mio - which is why we'll be doing lots of washing.

Peace and Love,
    Bill

#14 Posted: 7/7/2009 - 22:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.