Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Choice of Boat from Thailand to Laos

• benhopes

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Hi,

I will be travelling to Laos from Thailand along the Meking river.

Please could anyone tell me if there is a choice of slow boats on offer? I wouldn't mind paying slightly more for comfort and room. And if so how much does it cost?

Thanks

Ben

#1 Posted: 7/7/2009 - 20:47

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Ben
    The question isn't really clear - where are you going from and to?

#2 Posted: 7/7/2009 - 22:31

• benhopes

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I will be going from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang. I know getting a boat on the Meking river is an option of crossing into Laos - whereabouts I do this I'm no sure. I just wanted to know if there are different options of boats?

#3 Posted: 7/7/2009 - 22:54

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I think you can do it in Pakse, but I'm not sure that helps you. I know you can't do it anymore (used to) in Mukdahan or NKP or That Phanom. I'm not sure about Vientiane or points further north.

#4 Posted: 8/7/2009 - 00:28

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Ben

Everything you needed to know about the boat trip is here:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/laos/3210_the-laos-slow-boat-thread

AND HERE:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/laos/2743_luang-prabang-to-chiang-rai-with-nagi-of-mekong

- - -

It appears to be a trade off between $$$'s and comfort.

Also, in the wet season, the trip up river is slower, and you may have to figure on a night at Huay Xai upon landing (as it may be past the 6pm close for immigration).

Cheers[/red]

#5 Posted: 8/7/2009 - 08:36

• clarerarks

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2009

Hello,
    I would reccommend going the overland route into Luang Prabang, i did this last year, we booked at a travel agents in Chang Mai and im sure most of them allow you to book it now.
    Basically you go overland, travel in a van, go through the border do a bit of 4 wheel driving and stay overnight in an undisturbed part of Laos. Its a great experiance. Then the following day you catch a boat for 4 hours and your in Luang Prabang, Its a bit more expensive option but saves sitting on a boat forever!

#6 Posted: 8/7/2009 - 09:17

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Ben

As I'm sure you already know, I'm also for the overland route from LP to Huay Xai (especially if you tie in a trip to the Gibbon Experience).

But, you may have your heart set on the boat journey.

Cheers

#7 Posted: 8/7/2009 - 09:45

• quitoyyo

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2009

Hi...

I definetly recommend Luang Say cruise boat. (see www.mekong-cruises.com) It goes down 2 days on the mekong river from Houei say to Luang Prabang, it is a luxury boat and you go sleep near pakbeng in a splendid lodge, and right now it is low season, so the prices are really cheap.... all the food is included in the price and it is definetly more comfortable than a bus or a slow or fast boat for sure. have a nice trip!

#8 Posted: 8/7/2009 - 11:11

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Is essence, the slow boats go from Huay Xai in Laos to Luang Prabang. So you'll need first to get yourself from Chiang Mai to Chiang Khong (which is the Thai town on the opposite side of the river). Bus is the most common means. You overnight in Chiang Khong, cross first thing in the morning to Huay Xai, then get the boat. You overnight at Pak Beng half way to LP.

Reviews of the boats are mixed. The trip is stunning -- very very scenic, but the boats tend to be quite crowded now -- and that bothers some, but there's pros and cons to the crowds I guess -- especially for the solo traveller. If you want more space, then an option like Luang Say cruises (suggested above) is another option, but you'll pay considerably for the priviledge.

#9 Posted: 8/7/2009 - 14:21

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

#10 Posted: 8/7/2009 - 20:42

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.