admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

And now for something from the utterly ridiculous department.

The Nation reports today that tutorial schools and internet cafes will be closed for 2 weeks from July 13 until 28.

This is in a bid to prevent the spreading of "influenza 2009".

May I suggest respectfully that instead, they close parliament from July 13 until 28 to protect the rest of the country from more ridiculous rulings like this one.

#1 Posted: 9/7/2009 - 21:21

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

#2 Posted: 9/7/2009 - 21:21

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Closing all internet cafes in Thailand for two WEEKS?? My god what will backpackers on KRS do to fill the time???

Another silly law that irks me is the beer selling times. I can't count the number of times I've been caught out in supermarkets ... "Sorry you can't buy that can of Chang because it's 2.03pm."

It's even more irksome when the guy behind you gets through with 12 bottles of whisky because bulk buying is allowed between 2pm and 5pm!

#3 Posted: 10/7/2009 - 00:05

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Sorry that should be KSR.

....or Ko Phangan or Ko Tao...

#4 Posted: 10/7/2009 - 00:07

• Lawoat

Joined Travelfish
    29th June, 2009

Euuuhhh? Can you please explain that rule regarding buying beer? Sounds ridiculous to me ;-)

#5 Posted: 10/7/2009 - 00:10

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

Lawoat.
    Basically you can't buy beer from the 7/11,supermarket etc by the single can,bottle before 5pm.However,you can walk across the street to the small restaurant and they will sell it to you. But you pay a bit more.
    And as for shutting Internet cafes for 2 weeks what can one say.....What's the difference between shutting them and restaurants etc.

#6 Posted: 10/7/2009 - 03:47

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

You can buy alcohol from 11am to 2pm and from 5pm to midnight unless you buy it in bulk ...in which case you can buy it any time.

This silly law was introduced when ex prime-minister Thaksin was in power but they didn't drop it after he got booted out.

Alcohol sales are also restricted whenever there are elections and also on days which have religious significance.

Kids do tend to congregate in internet cafes to play games online...I presume that's why they are shutting them.

#7 Posted: 10/7/2009 - 04:25

• Macky

Click here to learn more about Macky
    Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2009
    Location United States

lol thats friggin great. I'll be arriving there for the first time to go backpacking on the 18th - smack in the middle of this nonsense.

#8 Posted: 10/7/2009 - 04:28

• fevoldj2

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2009

Is wi-fi access still available and are guest houses allowed to offer internet still?

#9 Posted: 10/7/2009 - 07:20

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

This sounds like a Hey, Mr China, we can do silly games too!.

Somtam, it also suggests that laptops and Ieee's become a travellers necessary convenience.

Can you help comprehend an apparent paradox in the story run by The Nation:

The cabinet on Thursday ordered closing of tutorial schools asked net cafes to close for two weeks...

The venues, usually crowded with young people, were asked to start closing on July 13 until 28

Either the net cafes were given a choice (ie asked) or will be ordered to comply. Which will occur?

Cheers

#10 Posted: 10/7/2009 - 08:36

• Advertisement

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

Egypt killed all their pigs - waste of time
    The earing of surgical masks is a COMPLETE waste of time - it may even INCREASE risk of infection - some PRAT in Thailand suggested it would reduce risk by 80% - presumably he owns the Thai Pointless Mask Compnay Limited (very).........

As ever Thai officials haven't a clue - because they don't really have a job - so long as they sit on their arses and do nothing things are OK - but every now and then one of them wakes up and has an IDEA!!! - that's where the trouble starts.

#11 Posted: 10/7/2009 - 12:42

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Bruce, here is the exact wording in the link Somtam provided.

"The cabinet on Thursday ordered closing of tutorial schools asked net cafes to close for two weeks as a measure to prevent spreading of the influenza 2009."

Since when was the word "order" a synonym for the word "ask"?

You emphasized the "ask" by using bold italics and underlining it, but it is is not what the newspaper report said!

#12 Posted: 10/7/2009 - 15:01

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

This is Thailand =- rthe difference between "ask" and "order" and how a newspaper translates it is anybody's guess!

#13 Posted: 10/7/2009 - 15:05

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

SBE

I suggest the online newspaper report as indicated by Somtam said exactly as I transcribed. All I did was underline the word ask.

Reason, because I use the word ask]/u] to request something, not to order that something occur.

My question remains valid.

Cheers

#14 Posted: 10/7/2009 - 15:55

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

Of course you're valid - just not very clued up - that's all!

#15 Posted: 10/7/2009 - 16:15

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

khunwilko

Don't be a clown.

The point here is that in the common use of English, if someone asks that something be done it is up to the entity asked to choose whether to respond.

The electronic newspaper article uses the word ask] to indicate how the government sought internet cafe's provide support for the matter.

If the Thai newspapers have an odd way of using Englsih, then I suggest it helpful if we westerners were 'educated'.

Cheers

#16 Posted: 11/7/2009 - 06:33

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

the point is TIT!!!- and you cant take ANYTHING literally - least of all newspapers and politicians

#17 Posted: 11/7/2009 - 06:50

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I just had a look at some other press reports. I think they've "ordered" closure of the schools and "urged" internet cafes to close. The latter probably won't happen unless they up the alert level to a 3.

From the Bangkok Post today.

Kamnuan Ungchusak, the Disease Control Department's spokesman, said the pandemic in Thailand stands at level 2, where the fatality rate is at 0.4% of the total number of flu infections.

The measure is adapted from the US Centers for Disease Control and Infection standards. Accordingly, the Public Health Ministry categorises the severity in five levels based on fatality rates.

At level 2, health officials would ask the public to avoid crowded places and take other precautions, he said.

Curbs on access to public places where the virus could be transmitted easily would be imposed from level 3, where the fatality rate is 0.5%-1% and above.

Access in and out of the country might be ultimately banned at level 5, when deaths have reached more than 2%.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/20026/1200-thais-likely-to-die-of-flu

#18 Posted: 11/7/2009 - 06:54

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

SBE

Since the Mexican 'fiasco', we in Australia have been switching between levels 3 and 4, and at one stage went to 5.

What I noticed is that the 'declaration' appears to have more to do with justifying unplanned for heath expenditure than dealing with the disease.

When the initial alert was posted, the media here went beserk (as they do on any scare issue). Gov't officials were being pushed into making some administratively costly decisions based on the media hype: merely to show the public they were capable of dealing with the 'hype' of pandemic.

Now that we've had a bex and a good lie down (or stepped back and appraised reality), all the nation is doing is asking people who feel like they have the flu to go get it checked out with a health professional. If the person has the disease, then they are required to isolate themselves.

Yes, the number of people getting the disease is slowly increasing, but health officials say that the rate is no different than if they locked the nation down.

Originally, with lock downs, closures of schools, etc., the cost to taxpayers was extremely high. Now, the cost to taxpayers is relatively small: those being 'daignosed' get the check for free, those with flu can get a subsidised rate for Tamiflu, they buy their own masks.

Would the current reaction in Thailand have anything to do with the forthcoming international conference in Phuket?

Cheers

#19 Posted: 11/7/2009 - 08:03

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

SBE

After posting above, I read a local newspaper article that says more than I can about the current Australian attitude to swine flu...

http://www.news.com.au/business/story/0,27753,25759149-462,00.html

As you can see, its big time, but no big deal!

Cheers

#20 Posted: 11/7/2009 - 08:08

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Although Australia has more cases and 18 deaths as opposed to Thailand's 15,the fatality rate in Thailand seems much higher. Not as high as in Argentina though...2,677 cases and 82 (possibly 95) deaths!

Back to silly rules re alcohol. I remember being in Bangkok during a major election and there was a strict ban on alcohol sales for 3 whole days. All the bars were shut and restaurants couldn't serve alcohol either. Naturally one stocks up in advance when that sort of thing happens and we were having a wee party with the staff downstairs at SUK 11 (to celebrate the election result amongst other things). The men in brown came and tried to arrest the owner's son, Anil, but he wasn't worried and didn't even pay any tea money to the cops. He pointed out that no alcohol was sold on the premises and that all the booze the cops could see had been bought before the ban came into effect.

You can't BUY alcohol but there's no law against you drinking alcohol on "dry days". This said it's more polite not to get paralytic drunk on religious holidays or the King's birthday.

Here's a list of possible dry days which you may find useful when planning your vacation in Thailand. ;-)

http://www.bangkokunlimited.com/dry_days.htm

#21 Posted: 11/7/2009 - 17:42

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

On my trip to Bangkok there were people wearing those masks all over the place. Even the girl who gave me a foot massage was wearing one.

#22 Posted: 12/7/2009 - 18:31

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

THai and in fact most East Asian nations will do however virtually ALL the masks worn are a complete waste of time and will actually INCREASE the chance of infection in some circumstances.

#23 Posted: 12/7/2009 - 20:30

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I have never heard they can increase your chances of contracting something, but they are of minor value in preventing the contraction of something. Surgeons use them to protect their patients, not the other way around.

#24 Posted: 12/7/2009 - 23:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.