Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Tattoo shop recommendations

• Macky

Click here to learn more about Macky
    Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2009
    Location United States

I'm Kind of a tattoo nut. I like to get one in every new place I visit. Does anybody have any experience with tattoos in Thailand or recommend any places? And is there anything I should lookout for other than the obvious cleanliness issues? I don't want to wander into the first place I see and get a shitty unhygienic artist who overprices, ya know?

-Macky

#1 Posted: 10/7/2009 - 04:23

• Advertisement

• stokates

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2009

+1

Also does anyone know of a place who do a more tribal tradition like tattoo? With bamboo (I think) ... not an electronic needle etc.

#2 Posted: 10/7/2009 - 05:37

• stokates

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2009

+1

Also does anyone know of a place who do a more tribal tradition like tattoo? With bamboo (I think) ... not an electronic needle etc.

#3 Posted: 10/7/2009 - 05:37

• stokates

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2009

+1

#4 Posted: 10/7/2009 - 05:37

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Macky & stokates

Unlike some western nations, there are little or no health criteria governing tattooing in SE Asia. So, there WILL be places that have significant health risks. On this issue, you need to exercise caution.

There have been plenty of posts to Travelfish about tattooing.

May I suggest you type the word tattoo into the Search Travelfish box in the grey area up above (on the left) and read what others have had had to say.

Cheers

#5 Posted: 10/7/2009 - 06:22

• binderdoned-
    at

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2009

Jimmy Wong in Bangkok is very well known reputable place. It's a family business, his daughter is a great tattoo artist as well. They organized huge tattoo shows in Bangkok and Pattaya in the last few years, but sadly not this year. http://travelhappy.info/bangkok/bangkok-tattoo-parlour-jimmy-wongs/

#6 Posted: 12/7/2009 - 07:35

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Bruce
    What's the big deal? Wort case what will you contract? HIV? Hepatitus C? I don't know, I wouldn't sweat it.

On the other hand... maybe Bruce has a point.

#7 Posted: 12/7/2009 - 18:28

• anelson_82

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Hey Macky!

I've heard of a place about an hour from Bangkok called Wat Bang Phra. They practise Sak Yant here which is an ancient form of tattooing that I believe originates from Cambodia (Don't hold me to that though!)

I myself will be paying a visit to Wat Bang Phra when I go to Thailand as I love tat's as well. There's a really good website that explains all about Sak Yant if you wanted to look. www.Sak-yant.com

If you ever go to Borneo you should check out their tribal designs, they also tattoo with a Bamboo needle.

Would love to see a picture if you get one done......good luck!!

#8 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 20:28

• scott13

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2012

I can recommend Tiki Tattoo on Koh Phangan Island.
    One of the best Bamboo artist in Thailand and has multiple Awards to back this up.

He is specialized in Maori / Polynesian work as he is from New Zealand, but has a unbelievable knowledge of Tatau and Asian Bamboo tattooing

very clean and professional !

#9 Posted: 18/8/2012 - 11:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.