Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

What is the best island at the end of September?

• vinygo

Joined Travelfish
    11th July, 2009

Hi guys,

I'm traveling to SE Asia for 3 months from the 20th September and I have a friend joining me for 10 days. She wants to go south and discover an island and I'm not sure where to take her.

I've been to Ko Tao and Ko Phan-Ngan in March this year and I love it but I would prefer to discover another place. Should I be worried about the weather?

I'm not very keen on going to Phuket but is it better for us to go to (1) Ko Phi-Phi or (2) Ko Samet and Ko Chang or back or southern again and do (3) Ko Samui?

Please let me know about your experiences and weather....

Thank you
    Vincent (UK)

#1 Posted: 11/7/2009 - 18:39

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

End of Sept is tricky because the southern Gulf islands (Samui etc) are nearing the start of their normal wet season of Oct into Jan and the rest of Thailand is usually in wet season.
    If wet season kicks in late in the southern Gulf that could be the go.

Samet is also usually a good one - check TRAVELFISH'S excellent interactive weather map for RAYONg near Samet - amt of rain and no. of rain days (remembering a rain day anywhere may be one short shower/storm at 3am).

I reckon the Ranong area and Trat area islands may be the ones to miss on averages at this time.

Note that the Thai Bureau of Meteorology reckons this Sept may have shortly below average rainfall in the Southern Gulf and Andaman - normal elsewhere - scroll down here http://www.tmd.go.th/programs%5Cuploads%5Cforecast%5C2009-07-01_Seasonal_EN_112027.pdf

Okay, if you I didn't want to go back to Tao or Phangan, I'd head for Samet. Nice island.

#2 Posted: 12/7/2009 - 18:11

• vinygo

Joined Travelfish
    11th July, 2009

Thanks Tezza for your reply, after checking out weather and other sites, Samet will be my destination.

Thanks for your help.

#3 Posted: 20/7/2009 - 15:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.