Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Best/Most exciting Jungle experience in Thailand?

• koenoosterb-
    roek

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2009

Hi,

I'm going to thailand for 3 weeks for the first time and I'm really searching for an exciting rainforest experience, which one do you guys think is best and where is it organised? Where can you find the purest most beautifull thick rainforest experience?

Best would be with 1 night stay in the middle of the jungle or something. (but not too much to the North of the country since that's off our route.)

-koen!

#1 Posted: 12/7/2009 - 19:58

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Try Khao Sok.

#2 Posted: 12/7/2009 - 21:43

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

The term 'jungle' means different things to different people.

Generally, on mainland Thailand, most dense vegetation is not jungle. Why? because slash'n'burn farming over centuries has denuded, and any regrowth is not jungle.

Where there is a semblances of jungle it's locked up in a national park. Perhaps the best example of jungle (in Thai terms) is Khao Yai National Park.

The alternative is jungle on islands. For example, (big) Koh Chang but most accommodation here is focussed on the beaches.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 07:50

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Try Um Phang National Park in Tak province, Western Thailand.

It's not easy to get to, but it's one of the best remaining jungle experiences in Thailand. Very remote and "pure".

If you tell me which part of Thailand you're going to I can give some other suggestions. Any chance you're going to Malaysia? Taman Negara is an excellent rainforest experience - it's the world's oldest primary rainforest.

#4 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 12:45

• koenoosterb-
    roek

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2009

hey! thanks for the replies you guys

to answer idreamofdurian;

Our trip will start in bangkok, head out a little to the northeast to Kanchanaburi/Sangkhlaraburi, then we'll head south to visit Khao Sok national park, as well as the islands (ko samui/phangan/tao)

If there's nice trekking tours nearby ill definitly check them out.

#5 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 17:43

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

koenoosterbroek

I see by your post #5 you have already got your itinerary planned. But, you originally wrote:

I'm going to thailand for 3 weeks for the first time and I'm really searching for an exciting rainforest experience, which one do you guys think is best and where is it organised? Where can you find the purest most beautifull thick rainforest experience?.

Can you understand how people responding to your original question can get annoyed after they put in time and effort to answer you, when you already know where you are going?

Had you indicated where you are going, and then asked whether that was the best forest, I suggest you would not have annoyed people, and maybe got better answers.

I hope others reading this will understand that it helps to ask questions with the responder in mind.

- - -

idreamofdurian

Um Phang NP is really good vegetation, but it has been used for swidden farming, and is not jungle.

I looked at wikipedia to get the 'words':

Jungle usually refers to a dense forest in a hot climate, such as a tropical rainforest. The word jungle originates from the Sanskrit word jangala which refers to uncultivated land, among other meanings. The term jungle is generally used to refer a dense tropical forest or a swamp with an abundance of animal and plant life.

[colr=red]Cheers

#6 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 18:06

• koenoosterb-
    roek

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2009

i know what my initial plans are but there's much room for changes

#7 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 18:50

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

"Can you understand how people responding to your original question can get annoyed after they put in time and effort to answer you, when you already know where you are going?"

I don't think the OP DOES know where s/he's going Bruce! S/he seems to think Kanchanaburi/Sangkhlaburi is in the north east of the country.

Here is a map of Thailand koenoosterbroek.
    http://www.travelfish.org/country_map/thailand

Nevertheless everyone was a clueless newbie once (even you Bruce!). When you're going somewhere the information overload can be overwhelming and confusing and it's very easy to miss the best option. I know I like to have a few personal recommendations before I start looking for more detailed information. It's hard to know where to start otherwise.

In this case Khao Sok seems to fit all of the OPs geographical and time constraints which is why I suggested it... it's not necessarily THE most authentic experience in SE Asia but I doubt if many people actually want to trek for days through mud and cross torrents to see pure/unadulterated rainforest. If there's a road and it's easy to get to then it obviously won't be 100% "pure" (but for some reason people always hope they can have everything).

The OP is on a 3 week holiday in Thailand and is going to be near Surat Thani and s/he mentions wanting to stay one night in the jungle, not a week.

Obvious answer---> Khao Sok.

This said the other suggestions can be useful to other people so it's not a complete waste of time if the OP doesn't take your advice.

I made a mental note of Um Phang National Park and Taman Negara for example. Thanks idreamofdurian! :-)

#8 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 19:14

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Bruce
    You're getting pedantic again!

Now, why anyone wants to walk around a Thai jungle you've got me. Hot, humid, nasty insects, snake filled... I don't get the appeal.

#9 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 19:24

• koenoosterb-
    roek

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2009

you know what people;
    i'll check out Khao Sok and maybe the Tak province.

nevermind this topic from now on.. i thought of it as a friendly question, to the travel community to get some fun and positive feedback, but some take this way too serious and negative for my taste. i'm out

#10 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 20:31

• Advertisement

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore

geez Bruce, are you also a member of the ThaiVisa.com forum? This is the kind of response I'd expect there...

koenooster - most of us don't bite, promise :)

#11 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 23:22

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

SBE

I agree with you "I don't think the OP DOES know where s/he's going.

But, that wasn't obvious with the original post.

I recognised initially that 'k' probably doesn't use English as the 1st language.

Nevertheless, (and this comment also includes idreamofdurian) those that do a bit of homework and ask questions seriously targetted to their travel agenda generally get good answers. The clowns that ask open ended questions hoping that someone else will fashion an agenda for them are airheads.

It's not my website, it belongs to Stuart. That said, as a contributor, I believe that airheads ought be 'educated' to respect the time and effort the 'responders' expend to help those well intentioned people seeking answers to their real concerns. The alternative is that airheads control the agenda and good advice goes elsewhere.

Cheers

#12 Posted: 14/7/2009 - 07:06

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Discussion forums are not for the timid.

#13 Posted: 14/7/2009 - 12:51

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore

Bruce: When I see a dumb question and doubt that the OP will appreciate my carefully researched answer to their query, I don't answer it.

Yes, it obviously would have been helpful to know Koe's itinerary (even if it was just a rough outline)...

I think that questions with fuller details tend to get fuller responses. ex. "What's a good park in Thailand?" warrants a brief answer, while "What's a good park in the south of Thailand to see primary rainforest and fauna during the wet season?" gets a longer one.

#14 Posted: 14/7/2009 - 13:15

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

idreamofdurian

I appreciate your comment.

I'm of the school that (in effect) says [color=purplestand up and be counted.

The price one pays for standing up and being counted is that one wins nothing on the freebies competitions, but that's life.

Personally, I value Travelfish on many counts. I like helping people. I'm not one to shy away from saying like it is.

Stuart may not necessarily like my style. But, there are enough really positive comments about the way I go about contributing to suggest I am helping those that are really focussed on advancing their holiday experience. Thus, I don't see too many negatives to suggest I take a step backwards.

Cheers, and keep well.

#15 Posted: 14/7/2009 - 16:58

• koenoosterb-
    roek

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2009

here's a tip;

people dont seek negative people to have conversations with. people tend to be in an optimistic mood want the other person who talks back to be able to add to that mood and not bring it down. nobody wants help from a depressed and negative person. you might want to help others, but they might not want help from a person like you. change your act buddy

#16 Posted: 15/7/2009 - 07:51

• koenoosterb-
    roek

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2009

and nobody likes the weird thing with the colours and the quotes dude...it's rediculous..

#17 Posted: 15/7/2009 - 07:52

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Ahhhh, K

You didn't go after all!!!

Oh, well, it must be the colour of in the site.

Shazam

#18 Posted: 15/7/2009 - 09:23

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"change your act buddy"

This sounds negative to me.

#19 Posted: 15/7/2009 - 14:02

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

John

Does too.

But, then, as you realise, buddy has connotations that don't apply to me.

Cheers

#20 Posted: 15/7/2009 - 14:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Jungle Experience ... By CosmicStar on 12 Apr 2009 1 1800 13 Apr 2009
Our Jungle House survival experience ... By travbug on 2 May 2010 8 3073 17 May 2010
Unique boat/jungle experience in South central Vietnam ... By henski on 12 Apr 2009 1 2184 13 Apr 2009