Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

NYE 2009-2010 In Thailand

• virusvaleria

Joined Travelfish
    10th March, 2009

We are off to Sth East Asia for 4 weeks and we're gonna be in thailand during NYE.

Whats a good celebration spot?

We were thinkin either Bangkok or Phuket

#1 Posted: 16/7/2009 - 10:23

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

VV

NYE is a western concept. The Thai celebrate New Year in April.

So, any partying to be had is solely for western tourists.

However, the Thai do celebrate the Full Moon (often with a party). The full moon this your coincides with New years Day, so there will be some fun places. Go look:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/thailand/6210_ko-pha-ngan-nye-2009-2010-full-moon-party

and

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/thailand/6906_help----koh-phangan-accommodation-full-moon-party

and

http://www.travelfish.org/feature/45

Aside from this, elsewhere on Travelfish, contributors have made mention of other locations in Thailand that hold full moon parties. Type full moon party into the Search Travelfish box up in the grey area up top and go for it.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 16/7/2009 - 11:54

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"NYE is a western concept. The Thai celebrate New Year in April.

So, any partying to be had is solely for western tourists."

Bruce, I don't want to bum you out, but the world is changing dude. This is no longer true. Thais celebrate the New Year. In Mukdahan we have a huge fire works deisplay, there are parties all over town, everyone gets drunk... it's just like back home. And as you know, we have no tourists here and damn few expats.

VV, I guess it depends on tastes. If there is some special acvitity you enjoy (for me it's salsa - so I would go dancing in Bangkok) well every activity can be found in Bangkok.

Pattaya is a party town - but on the dark side of the force.

Phuket gets big points for being romantic.

Guess it depends on what you're looking for.

#3 Posted: 16/7/2009 - 13:21

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

John

Apologies...

I figured there to be a difference between having a party (the Thai don't need a reason for that) and New Year.

Learning all the time...

Cheers

#4 Posted: 16/7/2009 - 13:56

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Nope, no difference. They are using our calender more and more now anyway. Last New Years two of my Thai dancers gave me a kiss and asked me what my New Yearts resolution was going to be... it's a holiday they are largely adopting - because they like a good excuse to party.

The bottom line is New Years here feels like New Years in Germany did... but it's not as cold out. So the poster will have no problem finding places for a New Years celebration even outside the tourist spots.

#5 Posted: 16/7/2009 - 15:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Ko Pha Ngan NYE 2009/2010 full moon party ... By katycrunchie on 7 May 2009 104 49096 14 Dec 2010