Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Where to exchange money?

• shazhippych-
    ild

Joined Travelfish
    20th June, 2009
    Location South Africa

I leave for Thailand in 3 weeks and am unsure where is best to exchange my money!
    I have heard that you get a better exchange rate in Thailand. Is this true?
    I am leaving from South Africa, so would it be better to do it here before I go, or once I arrive there?
    Peace, Shaz

#1 Posted: 16/7/2009 - 20:58

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Generally speaking you get your best rate if you exchange cash here in Thailand. You can change money at any bank. The airport has plenty of money changers and there are some in Bangkok as well.

#2 Posted: 16/7/2009 - 21:21

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Shaz

Other than at the end of the barrel of a gun, the absolute worst place to exchange money is at an airport.

The first rule is to know the exchange rate between the two currencies you want to exchange.

To get to know the mid-market (or about absolute best) rate of exchange, go here. Keep checking every few days to get an idea of how the currency exchange is fluctuating.

Second, it depends on what you are doing for currency. Are you bringing travellers cheques? Are you bringing an internationally exchangeable currency like US$ or similar? Are you using an ATM to withdraw cash? Or, some mix of all.

- - - -

Personally, I suggest you get about US$100 worth of Thai Baht from your bank in SA for when you arrive.

I'd also pre-book my first night's accommodation so that when you 'land' you are only going to need transport money, and also not going to be hassled too much about where to stay as well as get cash.

I use an ATM machine to get my money. I'm Australian, I pre-load an account with money, then I withdraw as needed. The banks give me about the mid-market rate.

If you are using Travellers Cheques, generally you take the Thai bank exchange rate, but can sometime get better at exchange booths - its always best to know the current exchange rate.

Hope this helps.Cheers

#3 Posted: 17/7/2009 - 04:40

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I checked rates when I used to live in Germany, and I got a better rate at the airport (but about .25 baht) than I would have with the German bank. I did this twice, in 2002 and 2006 when I moved here. So at least in my experience home bank was worse than the airport. Best rate I ever got was a money changer in Sukhumvite over by Soi 4.

Moving here I contemplated doing an electronic money transfer, as the sum was large. But the difference between bringing cash and exchanging it at the bank was significant, magnified by a lot of cash.

I use the ATM here now, but there's a 150 baht service fee for every overseas transaction. Plus whatever your home bank charges.

#4 Posted: 17/7/2009 - 11:02

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

John

On the 150baht fee, the thread sort of ended with some ATM's apparently not charging - 7-11, Western Union - were the last 2 cited.

Is it now all ATM's, or are there some that still don't charge?

Cheers

#5 Posted: 17/7/2009 - 13:16

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

All the banks agreed to it. Every place I have been to so far charges the fee... so I think it's all of them now. But, of course, I haven't been to every ATM in Thailand.

#6 Posted: 17/7/2009 - 21:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Money exchange ... By kriskeogh on 24 Feb 2012 3 1211 24 Feb 2012
Money exchange (Dongs) in Chau Doc ... By BB on 30 Aug 2011 2 2638 1 Sep 2011
airport money exchange late at night ... By walkingtrees on 25 Jul 2010 3 2678 25 Jul 2010
Sungai Kolok / Rantau Panjang border Money exchange ... By FrenchArt on 6 May 2012 1 2090 18 Jun 2012