Thailand forum

London to Bangkok to Laos

• wanderingwa-
    lters

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Hi All

Hopefully i've posted this in the right area as i'm not 100% sure of where to ask this, but here goes.

I leave Heathrow for Bangkok on 8th November and arrive 7.40, 9th November. I plan to flight straight to Luang Parbang without really leaving the the airport but i'm unsure of what time to book the flight. I'm guessing around 1pm'ish to leave time for delays, to collect my bags and get checked back in.

Does that sound about right? or do you thing i should leave longer?

oh and i forgot to add i know i'm more than likely going to be exhausted by the time i get luang Parbang.

#1 Posted: 21/7/2009 - 20:22

• Advertisement

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Who are you flying with ? Any stopovers, or direct ?

If its with a good airline, with a good record for punctuality, you should be fine with 1pm. Its over 5 hrs between landing and takeoff. But, you can never be 100% sure, of course.

#2 Posted: 21/7/2009 - 20:36

• wanderingwa-
    lters

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Should have added this really:

I'm flying with Jet Airways, and i have a 2 hour stop over in Mumbai.

Never flown with Jet Airways so i'm not sure what they are like.

#3 Posted: 21/7/2009 - 20:42

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

I flew with Jet to and around India a couple of years ago. They were absolutely fine.

I always have a similar problem when returning to UK from overseas. How long after I arrive at Heathrow should I leave before booking a train back to my hometown ? (Usually I give it between 3 and 4 hours, but that includes getting the tube back into Central London). So far, I haven't missed one, but I know that one day I will and as the cheap tickets need to be pre-booked, I'll lose my money and need to buy a new expensive ticket.

#4 Posted: 21/7/2009 - 20:56

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

wanderingwalters

I suggest 5 hours is fine.

Personally, I try for 3 hours.

Low cost carriers are what is called 'point to point'. That means they only get you from point to point, there is no consideration of any of your onwards interests.

For that reason, I buy travel insurance. I have yet to make a claim, but should one point-to-point carrier let me down and I miss the next 'link', the insurance contract indicates that i qualify for an insurance claim to get the next flight (I understand that the price of the ticket for the insurance isn't such a big deal).

So, 5 hours appears fine, and have travel insurance that covers such a contingency.

Cheers

#5 Posted: 22/7/2009 - 08:04

• Lawoat

Joined Travelfish
    29th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 5

Wanderingwalters,

"...collect my bags and get checked back in."

Its my understanding if you fly directly to Luang Prabang, there is no need to collect your bags and there is no need to go trough immigration in Bangkok as you are willing to stay in the airport. You just need to make sure you go to the "Connecting flight" desk in Bangkok to get your ticket to Luang Prabang...

#6 Posted: 22/7/2009 - 15:17

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Does Jet Airways fly to Luang Prabang? If not then you will need to get your bags and get checked in on the other airline. You also have to go through immigration and the queues can be quite long sometimes.

Flights from Europe often leave an hour or more late due to air traffic. I'd leave at least three hours for the connecting flight just to be sure.

#7 Posted: 22/7/2009 - 15:52

• wanderingwa-
    lters

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Hi

Thanks for all your comments.

sorry i probably didn't make myself clear. I'll be flying to Bangkok via Jet Airways but then i'll be changing to Bangkok air to fly to Luang Parbang, hence the reason i'll have to collect my bags and re-check back in, well i thought i would?

thanks bruce i will definitely make sure i have insurance that covers flights and transfers.

Thanks everybody for your help

#8 Posted: 22/7/2009 - 16:24

• wanderingwa-
    lters

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Just been looking for flights and they seem to be coming up as very expensive.

Bangkok Air: £192.22

Does anyone know other company that offers the route. or do you think the prices will come down closer to the time?

Thanks for your help!

#9 Posted: 22/7/2009 - 17:49

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

wanderingwalters

No, they ARE expensive.

I don't know your flight details, but Bangkok Airways is showing one way around 7o00Baht = 125 quid.

Amadeus (a search engine) also shows 125 quid here.

Except for flying into Vientiane by AirAsia, all flights inbound (and within) Laos are very expensive.

I read the other day someone quoting 90 quid from Chiang Mai to LP . If you can find that, maybe head on a cheapie to CM, and then LP.

Maybe you can go here and try each of the airlines that fly that route.

Cheers

#10 Posted: 22/7/2009 - 18:57

• Advertisement

• wanderingwa-
    lters

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

BRUCE: Thanks for you help!

think i'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and buy the tickets i've seen from the Bangkok airlines website. They seem to have better timings in case of delay. Sod expense i've only got 3 weeks, now wheres that kidney to sell.

#11 Posted: 22/7/2009 - 19:12

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Also found this site, maybe worth investigating...

http://www.laos-travel-guide.com/air-travel-to-laos.html

Cheers

#12 Posted: 22/7/2009 - 19:12

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.