Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Is possible reach the BKK airport with a local cheap bus?

• claudiaband

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2009

Hi, I'm leaving sunday from BKK international airport and i would like to know if there are local cheap buses to reach the airport. ( from Khao San zone) Thank you so much!

#1 Posted: 23/7/2009 - 00:50

• Advertisement

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Yeah, there's an airport bus and I think it's about 150B.

Bus routes and numbers:
    Route AE-1 goes on the expressway from Suvarnabhumi to Silom road. You can connect to the Skytrain or subway from Silom.

Route AE-2 goes on the expressway to Banglamphu. This is the one to get on for Khao San road.

Route AE-3 goes to the Nana (soi 3-4) part of Sukhumvit road.

Route AE-4 goes from Suvarnabhumi to Hua Lamphong, Bangkok's main train station.

#2 Posted: 23/7/2009 - 01:07

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

That's the airport bus but there are also local buses that go to the airport which cost 35B. I've never used a one as I'm always afraid of missing my plane!

http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/56

The skytrain link is supposed to be opening on August 12th. That will cost the same as the airport bus (150B) I think.

http://www.urbanrail.net/as/bang/bangkok.htm

#3 Posted: 23/7/2009 - 01:55

• googdot

Joined Travelfish
    20th March, 2007

The Skytrain link was supposed to open August 12th, but this has now been moved forward to December '09. I think the target launch date is now set for December 5th.

#4 Posted: 23/7/2009 - 07:40

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Do yourself a favor and take a metered taxi. It won't be that much more than the airport bus (around 185 baht) and it's worth the extra money. Take a local crap bus and God knows when you'd get there. Missing an airplane and costing you serious money is not worth the extra two or three bucks you might save.

#5 Posted: 23/7/2009 - 12:30

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

'Take a local crap bus'
    Actually the 556 which runs hourly and stops just around the corner from Kao San Road is an air-conditioned bus which does most of the trip on the expressway.
    I've taken it many times.The only drawback is it doesn't seem to have a set time but there is one every hour.
    Get it at the main bus stop on Ratchdamnoen.The guesthouse staff can give you directions. It is only about 100 metres from KaoSan.

#6 Posted: 23/7/2009 - 15:01

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

There are some things you really don't want to screw the pooch on. In that category I place catching my flight home. Leaving the airport and looking for a cheap bus, driving to Chiang Mai on a cheap bus... etc. etc. is OK. If things go wrong and you miss the bus, or end up on the wrong one... OK, no big deal. Catch the next one or go to a different place. If the bus is slower than you thought it would be, no big deal. But screw up getting to the airport... big deal.

#7 Posted: 23/7/2009 - 16:45

• williamtayl-
    or

Click here to learn more about williamtaylor
    Joined Travelfish
    9th June, 2009
    Location Japan

Madmac writes:
    "Do yourself a favor and take a metered taxi. It won't be that much more than the airport bus (around 185 baht) and it's worth the extra money. "

Providing you can find a taxi driver willing to use a meter . (Wish you spys from the Tourism Authority of Thailand would do something about this.)
    The estimate of 185 seems to be a bit low, especially when you consider the expressway tolls that you have to pay and the strong possibility of traffic jams. I think 250-300 is better estimate of total costs.
    But you are right this isn't really a place to be stingy if you have a connecting flight to make and/or heavy luggage.

Skytrain to the airport by December? Anyone think that is actually going to happen?

#8 Posted: 23/7/2009 - 17:36

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

If you have time just sit at the bus stop if the bus doesn't come within the hour hop in a taxi.I have yet to meet a taxi driver who doesn't use his meter or argues if you ask him to put it on.Most of the taxi drivers come from Isan and they are the nicest people in Thailand.
    The airport local bus is as fast as a taxi because it takes the expressway and is air-conditioned.Why not save money,you can't lose out if you plan ahead, give the bus a try

#9 Posted: 23/7/2009 - 17:49

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Providing you can find a taxi driver willing to use a meter."

I travel to Bangkok about every three months - I have yet to meet a taxi driver who won't use the meter - with the big exception being leaving the airport. There it's always an arguement because they know they have you by the cajones - they all want more money.

Still, this is one thing I recommend you splurge on.

#10 Posted: 23/7/2009 - 18:27

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

he's going to the airport not coming from it. Still, I get your point the airport can be an exception to the rule.Take the free bus to the transport centre and you will find lots of taxis with a much more amenable attitude.The taxis are at the rear of the transport centre.

#11 Posted: 23/7/2009 - 18:51

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

he's going to the airport not coming from it. Still, I get your point the airport can be an exception to the rule.Take the free bus to the transport centre and you will find lots of taxis with a much more amenable attitude.The taxis are at the rear of the transport centre.

#12 Posted: 23/7/2009 - 18:52

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"he's going to the airport not coming from it. Still, I get your point the airport can be an exception to the rule.Take the free bus to the transport centre and you will find lots of taxis with a much more amenable attitude.The taxis are at the rear of the transport centre."

This was exactly my point - he's going to the airport, hence meter will be the rule without hassle.

Here's what I do. Grab my pack, walk to the road. Stick out my thumb at the first taxi going by (which usually takes about one minute), jump in and say Suvarnabhumi (pronounced soo-wan-nah-bpoom). He asks me if I want to take the highway (meaning I pay the tolls). I say yes. And off we go. Don't go during rush hour. I was once stuck in the taxi for an hour and a half getting to the airport. Still had plenty of time, but I was starting to get a little nervous after a while.

#13 Posted: 23/7/2009 - 19:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.