Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Help with Southern Thailand Itinerary

• luchy1309

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2009
    Total reviews: 7

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hello! I have been using Travelfish itineraries all through my trip in SEA, and have been wonderful. However,now I need a bit of help with planning my trip to the Islands in Thailand.

I am flying from Hanoi to Bangkok the night of the 28th of July and have till the 26th of August to explore the islands.

I want to go to both sides of the southern islands. The islands I would like to visit are Phi Phi, Lanta, perhaps Riley. And on the Andaman Coast Samui, Tao, and perhaps Phangan.

What I don't know is what would be a better way to do it. Where to start, in which side? I think flying is the best option from BKK to either Surathani or Phuket, because its faster and it comes out even cheaper than doing it by bus or train. Any thoughts on this?

Please help! I would like to know what would be the best way to do this islands trip, and how to get from one island to the other, and from one side to the other.

Thanks a lot!

#1 Posted: 23/7/2009 - 14:18

• Advertisement

• krisim

Joined Travelfish
    20th July, 2006
    Total reviews: 8

Hi,

For the south part of your trip I would choose to fly to Krabi (Air Asia fly to Krabi). If you want to visit Riley you can do that before you take a boat to either Phi Phi or Lanta. There are dayly boats from Krabi to both Lanta and Phi Phi and there are also daily boath between Lanta and Phi Phi.

If you do Krabi - Lanta - Phi Phi, you can then take the bote from Phi Phi to Phuket . From Phuket you can fly to Samui (but only with Bangkok Air and they are not as cheap as Air Asia) or you can take a bus to Surathani and take the boat to Samui. Frequent boat goes from Samui to Phangan and Ko Tao .

From Ko Tao you can take the boat to Chumpon and then the bus back to Bangkok.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 24/7/2009 - 14:41

• luchy1309

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2009

Thanks so much for your reply! I now have a clearer idea on how to organize my trip. I have one more question... I found a good ticket from BKK to Phuket on the 29th at 7 something in the morning, which suits us great because we wouldn't have to leave the airport at all after arriving from Hanoi. So, would it be OK to fly to Phuket instead of Krabi, or is it more recommended to fly to Krabi?

#3 Posted: 24/7/2009 - 14:54

• krisim

Joined Travelfish
    20th July, 2006
    Total reviews: 8

It's OK to fly to Phuket , I thought Krabi where better if you wantet to go to Riley and I don't think there is a direct boat from Phuket to Ko Lanta, you have to go via Phi Phi. But then you can do Phi Phi first and then go to Lanta and from there take the boat to Krabi and visit Riley if you want to. From Krabi you can take the bus to Surat Thani and then the ferry to Samui.

#4 Posted: 24/7/2009 - 15:58

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

The advantage of Phuket is more frequent flights and often better deals. Ferry distance is about equal but the Phuket pier is further from the airport. Phuket has MORE ferries but I don't know whether is has more departure times in low season.

Anyway I'd do that side first - flying to Samui aint cheap.
    Note in previous low seasons there has been no ferries between Phi Phi and Lanta or even Krabi and Lanta. I don't think this VERY low season will be any different. So you will have to use the minibus service from Krabi town onto Lanta via the vehicle punts.

Anyway, I'd fly into Phuket - do Phi Phi, Krabi/Railay, Lanta, go across the isthmus to Surathani via Krabi and then ferries Samui, Phangan, Tao - back to the mainland at Chumpon, bus or train back to Bangkok.
    Google Lomprayah which has a fast big catamaran you can use to island hop from Samui to Chumpon and then their own bus back to Bangkok.

#5 Posted: 25/7/2009 - 10:04

• luchy1309

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2009

Thank you very much for your help. I will do as you recommend, I already bought my ticket to Phuket ;)

#6 Posted: 27/7/2009 - 18:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Southern Thailand Itinerary Help ... By jennakuz on 4 Jan 2012 5 1374 7 Jan 2012
Itinerary from Southern Thailand onwards ... By georgiaj on 8 Jun 2012 2 1475 9 Jun 2012
Possible two week itinerary for Southern Thailand, too much for so little time? ... By lys36 on 21 Aug 2013 4 2313 25 Aug 2013