Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Where to go in early September

• balibutterf-
    ly

Joined Travelfish
    25th July, 2009

My husband and I are traveling to Thailand in early September, spending a few days in Bangkok and then we will have a week where we would like to visit another part of Thailand.

Mostly we are looking for somewhere with good weather, nice restaurants and quality massage and a place to stay where we won't feel too crowded and won't be affected by noise in the evenings.

At the moment we are considering Chiang Mai or Ko Samet but are open to suggestions. We have already visited Samui.

Another factor is that since we only have a week we don't want to spend too much time traveling and especially would like to avoid or minimize sea travel because my husband gets seasick.

Any suggestions? Accommodation recommendations would also be much appreciated. We would like to keep it under $50 a night.

#1 Posted: 25/7/2009 - 08:33

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

balibutterfly

Travelfish has some amazing stories that provide the sort of details I suspect you are after.

In the fist instance, try here:

http://www.travelfish.org/feature/108

Second, try reading these...

http://www.travelfish.org/feature/65

http://www.travelfish.org/feature/87

http://www.travelfish.org/feature/121

and also this (which, though oriented as a trekking destination, there are so many hidden delights here [from food, to sublime scenery, etc.]- and not far from Chiang Mai)...

http://www.travelfish.org/feature/66

- - -

Hope this helps.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 25/7/2009 - 09:38

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

If you check TRAVELFIH's excellent interractive weather map you will see that apart from the Samui area islands, Samet tends to have least rainfall early Sept, so yeah, that is a good island option.
    I really like the first of the quiet beaches, Ao Putsa/Pudsa/Tubtim and Tubtim Bungalows gets good reviews - including TRAVELFISH'S reviewer. I have some pix of the beach and Tubtim below.

You can avoid long sea trips by flying onto Samui, but you have already been there. However neighbouring Phangan is a great island and is only a 20 km ferry trip away - google for Lomprayah which has a pretty big catamaran ferry between Samui and PHangan.
    Hat Salad is one beach fits your asks - google for Cookies. A quieter beach again is Bottle Beach - google for Bottle Beach One.
    Lots of other options of course.

#3 Posted: 25/7/2009 - 09:51

• balibutterf-
    ly

Joined Travelfish
    25th July, 2009

Thanks for the link guys. Lots of information there.

Chiang Dao looks nice and Samet is still a possibility.

Brucemoon have you actually stayed in any of the bungalows in Chiang Dao? Something like this is appealing because we tend to enjoy finding a quiet spot where we can relax with massage and food on site, so long as it is good.

#4 Posted: 25/7/2009 - 12:38

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Yes

I stayed at Nest. It is set amongst really tall Teak trees overlooking the Chiang Dao mountain.

This place has the most wonderful Thai/English chef. Her food is great.

They have opened a second place - Nest #2. The bungalows are less attractive, but the chef there is more oriented to Thai cooking (Nest #1 = European cooking with a Thai twist).

I just found their website (go here).

I actually hired a car and used the Nest as a base to go wandering around the area as well.

Cheers

#5 Posted: 25/7/2009 - 12:47

• balibutterf-
    ly

Joined Travelfish
    25th July, 2009

Thanks Bruce. Did you try the massage while you were there?

#6 Posted: 25/7/2009 - 12:55

• balibutterf-
    ly

Joined Travelfish
    25th July, 2009

I also read a review that mentioned very noisy roosters in the morning and the lack of mosquito nets on the beds. Did you have any experience of this?

#7 Posted: 25/7/2009 - 12:56

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

balibutterfly

The massage was great.

I like country sounds, yes there were roosters, but I don't remember them being a problem.

We use the ceiling fan at night and so the mosquito's don't (and didn't) annoy us. From my memory, there were flyscreens on the windows.

The rooms aren't western style 'resort' standard. Rather, comfortable rural Thai standard (which perhaps may be classed as resort to locals).

Cheers

#8 Posted: 27/7/2009 - 07:38

• balibutterf-
    ly

Joined Travelfish
    25th July, 2009

Thanks for the info Bruce. We have decided to go to Chiang Mai and then maybe visit Chiang Dao as a day trip to have a look.

Thanks for all your help.

#9 Posted: 27/7/2009 - 09:39

• balibutterf-
    ly

Joined Travelfish
    25th July, 2009

Thanks for the info Bruce. We have decided to go to Chiang Mai and then maybe visit Chiang Dao as a day trip to have a look.

Thanks for all your help.

#10 Posted: 27/7/2009 - 09:40

• Advertisement

• thailand_as-
    ia

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2009
    Location Germany
    Total reviews: 2

Try pai in mae hong son, a great destination in north thailand for some quiet and peaceful days!!
    have fun on your travel tour.

#11 Posted: 27/7/2009 - 13:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Travel in early September ... By smsclaydog on 7 Mar 2008 1 2199 1 Jun 2008