Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Aircon or fan room?

• pia2am

Joined Travelfish
    22nd January, 2009
    Location Denmark

Hi
    I´m planning my 2 month in Thailand, Cambodia and Laos.
    Do we, a family of 4, need an aircon room or is a fanroom OK in southern Thailand and islands?

Thanks

Pia

#1 Posted: 26/7/2009 - 23:49

• Advertisement

• pia2am

Joined Travelfish
    22nd January, 2009
    Location Denmark

Forgot to say we will be in SE Asia from mid dec to mid feb.

#2 Posted: 26/7/2009 - 23:52

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

Hi Pia!

Here's an answer straight from the fish's mouth:

Fan good air-con bad

You're in the tropics so you know it is going to be hot, but the evenings are often surprisingly cool. If you're on the beach, look for rooms with good window space to let in that fine sea breeze. In cities you want a room on a higher floor and preferably with a window. Oddly, often rooms on the upper floors are cheaper.

I typically go for the fan-cooled room over the air-con simply because it is cheaper and in most cases more charming. I do get air-con rooms when I'm in Bangkok however, since that city doesn't cool off much at night. The white noise of the air-con unit also covers other sounds and helps me sleep. The other time I'll splurge for air-con is when it is just too hot to sleep otherwise. But as you'll be down south during the relatively cool time of the year, fan-cooled should do the trick.

What do you say Bruce?

#3 Posted: 27/7/2009 - 01:14

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Pia

I'm with Exacto on this one too.

I also find that where I opt for aircon, I'm not a happy camper the next day. It's not about sleep, rather that I'm 'conditioned' not to acclimatise to the natural environment. So, the more I use aircon, the less I adapt to a hot day.

The other aspect not covered is that there aren't that many properly operating aircon units around. Yes, they take the air temp down, but often too far, aren't able to be apprpriately adjusted, etc., etc.. Then there are the rooms where the aircon is so clogged up, the temp reduction is almost useless.

So, for all the above, try and go for fan where ever possible.

Cheers

#4 Posted: 27/7/2009 - 07:32

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

The time of year you're traveling here it gets downright cold where I live (Mukdahan). Last year nighttime temps routinely went below 10 degrees celsius. One evening was six degrees. Days warm up to something OK - but too cold to swim.

But Bangkok is much hotter and where you're going I would imagine it's warm enough to swim. But nights fan should be fine.

#5 Posted: 27/7/2009 - 11:30

• thailand_as-
    ia

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2009
    Location Germany
    Total reviews: 2

hey, in this time is not the hottest time, its about 30 degree in this travel time. in night time it can be 20-25 degrees. i prefere a fan in thailand, and actually you come here because it's more hot than at home or? have nice holidays!!

#6 Posted: 27/7/2009 - 13:42

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

As stated above, you will acclimatise much more quickly if you have a fan-room where possible. You will possibly find out that you are also generally healthier!

I stayed in quite a few air con rooms on my trip last year, and whilst the individual air con units were OK, I ended up loathing the centralised air con systems used in some hotels. The air was stale, the rooms were more likely to feel 'damp and musty'. I also got two colds over a 6 week period - both times after staying a few days in hotels with the centralised systems. I would now avoid them -I just don't think you are breathing 'healthy' air.

#7 Posted: 27/7/2009 - 17:37

• pia2am

Joined Travelfish
    22nd January, 2009
    Location Denmark

Thanks a lot for all your responces. I like the fact that you all agree on getting a fan-room, which will work out way cheaper in the long run.

Pia

#8 Posted: 27/7/2009 - 18:23

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

A few advantages of having a room with air are that with all of the windows shut the room is quieter. With fan only rooms you always have the windows open, some screens are not much good and mosquitoes can sneak in. Also, if your room is on the first floor or has a window that people can walk by - a thief can also climb in your window because a screen is not much security!

Just another opinion.

#9 Posted: 29/7/2009 - 09:34

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"A few advantages of having a room with air are that with all of the windows shut the room is quieter. With fan only rooms you always have the windows open, some screens are not much good and mosquitoes can sneak in. Also, if your room is on the first floor or has a window that people can walk by - a thief can also climb in your window because a screen is not much security!"

And a valid one it is... In my wife's village, it's so noisy from seven AM until 11 PM you can forget about sleeping - and we can't close out the sound with that house.

In the hot months AC is nice for sleeping - although as Bruce points out it isn't helping you adjust to the climate. But in the cold months I prefer a simple fan on low.

#10 Posted: 29/7/2009 - 12:08

• Advertisement

• KevinCorr

Joined Travelfish
    15th June, 2004
    Total reviews: 39

If you can afford it, it is nice to cool off if you want. You don't have to set it to cold. You could just drop from 100 to 80F or 38 to 27C.

I like to turn it off to sleep.

#11 Posted: 29/7/2009 - 13:32

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"I like to turn it off to sleep"

I set mine on 25 degrees and use the energy saver function for sleeping. I find that about right in the hot months. From November to March, though, we bundle up at night - it's cold.

#12 Posted: 29/7/2009 - 13:57

• xontros

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2009

Personally when in Bangkok I needed the aircon. With all the concrete and stuff it was too hot sometimes. But in Laos and the islands the fan was perfect and although some of the rooms we stayed had aircondition we didn't use it over 1 hour per day.
    The only thing to take into consideration are the mosquito nets as mosquitos tend to be an annoying problem if they decide to fly next to your ear all night long...

#13 Posted: 3/8/2009 - 23:23

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Aircon everytime!

#14 Posted: 7/8/2009 - 15:25

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Jon

But, you're a Pom, any wonder!!!

[size=14[color=blue:)

Cheers

#15 Posted: 7/8/2009 - 19:02

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Was supposed to be..

:)

#16 Posted: 7/8/2009 - 19:02

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Would't mind if it had a snow blower.

#17 Posted: 9/8/2009 - 00:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.