Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Northern Thailand - must see places?

• livethedrea-
    m86

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2009

Hey,

Will be travelling up north in October and we only have around 5 days. What are the must see places/things to do. Moderate budget and we both 23.

Thanks

#1 Posted: 30/7/2009 - 04:34

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

livethedream86

Up the top of the page of Travelfish is a big Travelfish.org logo. Immediately underneath is a horizontal list of country names. There you will see one called Thailand.

In case you can't do it for yourself, go the the link here.

There, that wasn't too hard was it?

On that page, and on the left, you'll see a pale blue box headed with Jump to a destination.

Underneath that, you'll see a list of regions, when you put your mouse over Northern Thailand, you'll see another 'box' appear with a whole heap of destinations.

If you go read each one, I suggest you'll get a feel for the places you'd like to visit.

There are no "must see places/things to do" - as you put it.

Rather, there are a host of wonderful places, each with great things to see and do.

As an aside, try also reading this 'post' for an idea of why the idea of "must see places/things to do" is annoying to those who refuse to be sheep.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 30/7/2009 - 06:02

• fondo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2006
    Total reviews: 19
    Places visited:
    At least 98

The other side of the story is that human communication is complex and some people don't particularly like, or are not particularly adept at - the methodologies associated with interrogating the pile of electro-information associated with these sites.

OP, I usually just stroll on by this type of post but, seeing you've been told off by cranky and pedantic Uncle Bruce, I'll stick up for you.

If Bruce had understood that communication is complex he would have understood that 'must see/do' and 'we both 23' actually makes perfect sense to people around your age - the ones you are trying to communicate with.

What I understand the OP to be doing is trying to indulge in a type of one-to-one communicative sociality, but using a mass communications medium. He is looking for an answer along the lines of 'we went to xxxx and did xxxx and it was awesome!', which will give some extra credibility to the reams of fairly generic information available in cyberspace.

That's fine by me, I hope someone on your wavelength answers.

#3 Posted: 30/7/2009 - 07:32

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

fondo

I totally disagree with your portrayal. The guy is being lazy. Somehow, instead of doing the 'yards and working out the "the must see places/things to do" for themselves, it's merely a flick onto a discussion to solicit ideas from others.

That is pure laziness.

Had the person written, we are planning on doing XXXXXX and seeing YYYYY, is there anything that we ought also look into to do or see, then they'd have done the 'yards.

fondo, it doesn't matter what spin you put onto it, laziness is still laziness.

Cheers

#4 Posted: 30/7/2009 - 07:38

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'm with fondo on this -- ease up Bruce -- livethedream86 was just asking a simple question and didn't need a lecture.

livethedream86 If you're looking for a reasonably popular and fun spot in northern Thailand, then Pai might suit your needs -- something quieter then Soppong or Chiang Dao could fit the bill. Cave Lodge (see Soppong) is a great spot if you want to get out into the sticks a bit. All of these spots are within a half day's travel of Chiang Mai.

#5 Posted: 30/7/2009 - 08:29

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Somtam

You can be "with fondo on this" all you like, the world is a free place, and this site is (largely) free for comments.

The simple fact is that you have made suggestions for a person that appears too lazy to explore the wonderful information available on the site you have created.

If the person is too lazy to go research themself, tell them to go buy a packaged tour travel-trip through a travel agency.

Here, I refer to Sigmund Freud...

"Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility."

Lazy, afraid of being responsible for one's own destiny, same same.

Cheers

#6 Posted: 30/7/2009 - 08:37

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Whatever Bruce.

It was a simple question about where to go in northern Thailand -- easily answered with a few suggestions. Instead we end up with quotes from Freud ... yawn.

#7 Posted: 30/7/2009 - 09:48

• livethedrea-
    m86

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2009

Geez Brucemoon - get out much?? If you don't appreciate the question why bother answering

#8 Posted: 30/7/2009 - 19:02

• CunningMcFar

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2004
    Total reviews: 45

at the risk of jumping into the fray, I would second Somtam's suggestion of Soppong as a great place to spend a few days exploring. Yes, very quiet as far as nightlife goes, but that is not always a bad thing and there are plenty of interesting outdoor things to do: caving (the Tham Lod system is very impressive), village/forest treks, cooling off in the Lang River. In addition to the obvious cave trips, Cave Lodge also offers kayaking and rafting trips and they have excellent Shan food available from the kitchen. Soppong River Inn is a exceptional little place to stay in town, especially for a couple. For village trekking, track down Sunny, an amiable and knowledgeable Shan guide to the area. Sunny can be found at his tasty khao soi shop in town or you can ask the good folks at Soppong River Inn to give him a ring. My wife and I are very fond of Soppong, and am happy to give my two baht.

#9 Posted: 31/7/2009 - 00:17

• knightinshi-
    ningarmour86

Joined Travelfish
    31st July, 2009

Have just been reading what has been said by the clearly anally retentive BruceMoon and Id just like to say I don’t see what is 'lazy' about asking a question about travelling, activities etc to a particular destination because the last time I checked this was a travelling website which gives advice. Edited: by Somtam2000 - keep it civil - thanks
    Apologies livinthedream86 on behalf of this forum for the rude and unnecessary remarks by someone who obviously has a little too much time on his hands. Nice use of the underline for emphasis also....you really showed whose boss.

#10 Posted: 31/7/2009 - 00:59

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

yeah, i thought saying ltd86 was lazy was pretty silly too. for example, i know nothing about bolivia. so if i asked on a message board what is recommended to do in bolivia, it's because i really wanted to find out from someone who knows. that's what message boards are for.

sometimes i see questions on a board that i don't think are worth answering too. so i just skip 'em. enough said?

anyway, ltd86, if you are still reading, here's a few ideas. they aren't meant to be a difinitive answer, but rather a starting point to be filled in with your own research.

for most folks, chiang mai is a good starting point for exploring northern thailand, particularly if it is your first trip to the region. there is heaps to do there and you could easily spend your entire five days there.

chiang dao is a great side trip from chiang mai. it could even be done in a day, but an overnight is worthwhile.

the pai, soppong, mae hong son loop is another goodie, particularly for a couple in their early 20's. lots to see and do on that journey, and you could even fly one way to save a bit of time.

if you are really looking for something a bit off the beaten track, take a look at naan province.

by the way, what types of things do you like to do? outdoorsy stuff or temples or thai massage or food or what? that helps folks make specific recommendations to fit your tastes. regards.

#11 Posted: 31/7/2009 - 07:12

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

exacto

"sometimes i see questions on a board that i don't think are worth answering too. so i just skip 'em. enough said?".

You've indicated that before, and I sometimes follow.

But, there is a conundrum: (1) the issue of helping an inexperienced person and (2) assisting in making Travelfish the must look destination for SE Asia travel knowledge.

Despite the view of Stuart that Travelfish has a front door and visitors are directed through this and can learn to do research this way (or that's my perception from his comments) I think many come to Travelfish via a google search (or something) and come straight in without entering via the structured approach. In this way, they may end up on a 'post' page and merely wander around the Forum pages only. For that reason, I feel that some form of 'educating' is needed (at times).

For me, ltd86 didn't indicate any background that revealed how one would 'position' his/her question. I actually thought my 'education' lesson would assist him/her doing some basic research: albeit with a bit of tongue-in-cheek stuff.

In hindsight, the tongue-in-cheek stuff shouldn't have been included. But I do not resile from the view that ltd86 ought to have demonstrated more comprehension of the background matter leading up to his/her question and positioned it in that way: thus leading to my 'education' of how to so do.

I note fondo also takes a similar approach to you "I usually just stroll on by this type of post.

I've spent much of my life helping ppl, it must now be in the blood.

While it appears some IT-phobes don't readily appreciate modernism and all that that has to offer society, the hard fact is that we don't have a society unless we help each other: and that includes a modicum of education.

Cheers

#12 Posted: 31/7/2009 - 09:46

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

I have found many of Bruce's posts of tremendous help when researching my own trip. He knows the area well and often points people in the right direction. He clearly enjoys answering the questions on the forum and gives up a lot of his time to help others. Most of us, I suspect, will do lots of research before travelling, but will we return to the forum to answer questions after we're back..? Unfortunately, not many do; but Bruce does !

However, Bruce does on occasion get, well.....a bit grumpy with people. He's an Aussie version of Richard Wilson in 'One foot in the grave' (Brits know who I mean). Now Bruce is older than I am, but to all you younger folks out there, it is true, I'm afraid; as you get older you get grumpier. Bruce has made grumpiness into an art form, that's all; he's a master of it.

Personally, I don't understand why Bruce can't ignore posts which make him grumpy, but he can't. Or just post 'More detail, please'.

I actually like reading the posts; I even like reading the silly ones. After all, at times, we all have silly questions. What concerns me sometimes is that if a newbie stumbles onto the site, sees Mr Grumpy's answer and thinks 'Hmmm, maybe I won't bother asking my silly question, 'cos its bound to get slated'. Now what a shame that would be.

#13 Posted: 31/7/2009 - 20:36

• billbevan01

Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2009
    Location Global Village

I think you'll probably like Pai and you'll probably enjoy Chiang Mai. I doubt you'd like Chiang Rai much.

#14 Posted: 31/7/2009 - 20:59

• livethedrea-
    m86

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2009

To everyone who has given helpful suggestions - thank you very much. First time traveller here, so I'm sure some of you can understand that it is a bit daunting trying to figure out a route to take - hence asking such a broad question. To those who provide the wealth of information available on this website, I say thank you, it has provided great detail into the facets of Thailand I would like to embark upon.

Nokka, I completely agree with your statement "What concerns me sometimes is that if a newbie stumbles onto the site, sees Mr Grumpy's answer and thinks 'Hmmm, maybe I won't bother asking my silly question, 'cos its bound to get slated" could not be more true.

But again, thank you to those who were considerate of the "newbie".

#15 Posted: 31/7/2009 - 22:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Laid back places in northern thailand + internet access in room? ... By webno on 1 Jul 2006 6 2604 3 Jul 2006
Places to snorkel in November? In northern half of Vietnam? ... By EdwardTrunk on 7 Sep 2013 2 1785 9 Sep 2013