Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

2nd opinion for the 1st part of my travel itinerary please!!

• Lakey

Joined Travelfish
    29th July, 2009

Hello everyone

Can I just say what a great site. As a first time solo backpacker reading this site has given me some excellent advice and also put some of the old nervous to rest!

In terms of my travel I am not restricted by time at all and want to see as much as I can for the reasonable budget I have. I plan on seeing Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia & Malasyia but as this is the first time I have planned anything like this I would appreciate your advice on the first part.

Plan is to start in Bangkok then head to:

Kanchanaburi
    Ayutthaya
    Phitsanulok
    Sukhothai
    Tax
    Umphang
    Lampang
    Chang Mai
    Pai
    Mae Hong Son
    Mae Sariang
    back to Chang Mai unless can get direct to Chang Rai?
    Chang Kong & then into Laos

As I mentioned time is not a concern for me I just want to experience everything the regions have to offer. As I won't know where I'll be at what time I will be leaving the booking of accomodation to the last minute. Will this cause me huge problems as it will be high season?

If anyone can suggest maybe places I have missed out or have any other destinations then I am all ears.

Thanks for your help on this

#1 Posted: 31/7/2009 - 19:15

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Lakey

I really envy you: no time constraints, and heading in the 'right' direction.

Might I suggest that once you are 'on the beaten track', you'll get so much feedback from those also travelling that you'll be burdened by trying to see/do it all.

But, then, when you're 'off the beaten track', you'll most likely meet ppl who will refer you to out of the way places that aren't part of the banana pancake trail (on this see this post). It'll probably be these ppl who will influence you most.

You've identified a great list of places in NW Thailand. John (MADMAC) will wonder why you're not visiting Isaan - Isaan is a great area, and quite different to the NW of Thailand. But, you may choose to return through Isaan at a later time.

The issue, I suggest, is that you have to start somewhere, you have to have an itinerary sort of mapped out (even if you depart it), not necessarily because you have to follow it, but because you have to start somewhere (sounds circular, but it isn't).

From Bangkok, you have to go SW (sort of) to go to Kanchanaburi. Then, unless you want to trek across to Um Phang (look on Travelfish for details), you will have to return to Bangkok to head to Ayuthaya and then northwards.

By making the points on a map, you are doing the right thing.

There isn't anything I'd suggest you ought see / not see. Rather, just be open and go with the flow. Your current agenda will change, and you'll be the better for it.

Gee, I envy you.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 31/7/2009 - 19:31

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Hi Lakey,

Your list of places looks OK but you are visiting places that are all pretty similar (Central/North). Thailand is a very diverse country and the south is quite different from the North and the North East is different again. (different scenery, food, language, people etc..)

It's hard to get all of Thailand squashed into one trip but as you state that you have no time limit you could fit some other places in. Although it don't seem like a backpacker/traveller thing to do, taking a domestic flight with a cheap airline like Air Asia is a great way to get to somewhere in the south, say Hat Yai. You could then bus from there all the way up to Bangkok stopping at various towns on the way. (I've done something similar heading south) Then continue north from BKK.

Personally I would want to see all sides of Thailand but if your happy with what you have planned I can't see a reason why it shouldn't work.

Have fun!

#3 Posted: 7/8/2009 - 16:06

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

For this bit:
    Chang Mai
    Pai
    Mae Hong Son
    Mae Sariang
    back to Chang Mai unless can get direct to Chang Rai?
    Chang Kong & then into Laos

If you reverse it, then you can easily skip Cm.
    ie.,
    Chiang Mai - Mae Sariang - Mae Hong Son - Pai - Chiang Dao - Tha Ton - river trip to Chiang Rai - Chiang Khong -> Laos.

Would also suggest fitting in Soppong (between MHS and Pai) and there's quiet a few other places along that loop worth checking out...

have fun

#4 Posted: 7/8/2009 - 21:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
help neede, your opinion on itinerary ... By marie79 on 3 Jan 2010 2 1346 4 Jan 2010
3 week Itinerary - would love your opinion!! ... By sackonmyback on 19 Dec 2007 6 1750 21 Dec 2007
SE Asia itinerary: quick opinion needed! ... By dommels on 7 Feb 2014 0 377 7 Feb 2014
Could you please have a look at my 23 day singapore/malaysia itinerary and give your opinion? Thanks ... By richkimmens on 28 Feb 2008 0 2584 28 Feb 2008
Suggestions / Opinion on Itinerary - Thailand & Cambodia ... By shadek on 23 Dec 2009 1 1892 31 Dec 2009
First time Great Indochina loop: opinion on itinerary, thanks! ... By t0uchable on 5 Mar 2010 8 4895 23 Mar 2010
Request for Expert Opinion on my Tentative One-Month Itinerary ... By srk052004 on 22 May 2009 5 1811 8 Jun 2009
13 days Budget Itinerary Java Bali. Opinion? ... By jivie798 on 31 Mar 2013 4 2056 15 May 2013