Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Guide Book help

• jakethedog

Joined Travelfish
    22nd November, 2008

I curently have a Frommers Thailand 7th edition. Frommers has served me well for trips to europe but seems to be lacking some for Thailand.

I saw a Fodors Thailand which seems to have more info and Rough Guide has a new Thai guide book coming out in the fall.

I was looking for some comments, recommendations for guidebooks to complement the Travelfish files.

Thanks Dan

#1 Posted: 2/8/2009 - 00:35

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Dan

It really depends on what you want from a guide.

Some like the personal readability of rough guides, Frommers, etc.

Others, myslef included, like a guide that merely offers facts - such as Lonely Planet.

I like Lonely Planet because it gives me maps, it advises on 'attractions' - which fall into the categories of:

1. national icons/monuments (religious & other)
    2. sites of history (buildings / museums), and
    3. non-urban places of interest or enjoyment (ie. parks, waterfalls, etc.).

And, their section on 'Getting There/Away' or 'Getting Around' is exceedingly useful to me.

I think little of the Lonely Planet recommendations for accommodation, but they are useful as a sort of guide to read the Travelfish accommodation options.

As for Thailand, if you are interested in Lonely Planet, go to a 2nd hand shop & get edition 11 (2005). The later versions are the subject of much criticism.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 2/8/2009 - 07:07

• jakethedog

Joined Travelfish
    22nd November, 2008

Thanks Bruce....I guess I will have to compare each to see which one suits my needs.

Regards Dan

#3 Posted: 4/8/2009 - 12:16

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I carried both Lonely Planet and Travelfish e-guides around Thailand last year. The info in TF was far superior in my opinion -easier to read, more reliable and informative reviews on accommodation. Lonely Planet had the better maps, but to be honest, we didn't end up using them that often.

Next year, I will just rely on TF.

#4 Posted: 4/8/2009 - 14:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.