Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

staying in a buddhist temple in SE Asia!!!

• soQQuadro

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2009

Hi everyone. This site is quite amazing( almost regretted having bought the LP guide.eheheh)
    anyhow I'd really like to know whether is feasible to stay a couple of nights in a monastery and share monks life or anything close to that.I'll b travelling from mid October,November,to middle of December through North Thailand,North Laos,central Vietnam and Cambodia. any suggestion???
    ah! talking about myself and my man.mid 20's couple.
    TA in advance

P.S. being new I post this already,but in the wrong place I later realized, sorry!

#1 Posted: 3/8/2009 - 08:50

• Advertisement

• seagypsy

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2009

Yes it's possibel to stay in monastaries or 'kyaungs' in Burma, especially in trekking areas like Kalaw or above Pindaya. Some major religious centers such as Bago or Sagaing also allow for meditation pilgrimages.

#2 Posted: 15/8/2009 - 06:39

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

As far as I know, however, couples do not stay in temples together. In fact, residence for women is much more limited. Are you talking about becoming a monk (or the female equivelent) for a limited period of time, or just kind of visiting while in residence?

#3 Posted: 15/8/2009 - 12:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
staying in a monastery in SE Asia :) ... By soQQuadro on 3 Aug 2009 4 3049 11 Aug 2009