Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Travel Info

• JacknKel

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2009

Hi There

My son & I will be traveling to BKK and we were going to book accomodation for further SE Asia travels from there. We will arrive in October and be traveling up until Jan/feb 2010. Thailand/Laos/Vientnam/Cambodia banck to BKK. Should we book ahead Accom for Xmas/New Year/School Holiday time? Problem is we dont know exactly what country we will be as we were going to wing-it from BKK. Should I be concerned? My son is 12 years old so I dont want to be stuck with no where to sleep. We are not Bckpacking it but dont want 5 star either. Any thoughts on safety do's & dont's would be greatly appreciated. Im a bit nervous but very excited... should we pack a heap of stuff or just buy what we need over there....so many questions so little time :-)

thanks
    Kelly

#1 Posted: 6/8/2009 - 08:00

• Advertisement

• JacknKel

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2009

oops not Banck to BBK! I meant back to BKK

#2 Posted: 6/8/2009 - 08:01

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

It depends!

Depends on where you will be over that peak season period. Very popular spots "on the trail" like Ko Samet Ko Phi Phi Ko Pha Ngan and Luang Prabang (for example) will be very busy and, especially if you're looking for a family room, you could end up a bit stuck if you don't have a reservation. That said, if you're in a less popular spot at that time, then there is little need (if any) for a reservation. So you'll probably need to do some rough planning so you've an idea where you'll be at that time, and act accordingly.

Hope that helps

#3 Posted: 6/8/2009 - 08:20

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

JacknKel

First, it sounds like you are what is often referred to as flashpacker - you do the backpacker travelling, but you prefer to stay in a flasher (but not too flash) style of accommodation. Many on this site are like that (me included).

As for pre-booking accommodation...

When I come into a city from a long distance, and especially when I arrive after (say) 4pm, I really enjoy not having to worry about booking a room. I usually book one night in advance. That way, I can relax into the city/town.

Somtam is correct about the southern Thailand coastline during peak season. That said, you may merely choose to be there when the crowds are not. And, be in the backblock regions instead.

I don't know whether you've looked at the accommodation section of Travelfish - linked to each highlighted city/town, but the Guest Houses are akin to hotels, but with atmosphere and ambience. Also, you'll generally bump into lots of other travellers - who, if you choose to chin-wag with - will add heaps to your journey & accommodation choices. In some respects, these conversations are essential as you intend to take your time and 'wing it' as to the next destination.

Im a bit nervous but very excited... should we pack a heap of stuff or just buy what we need over there....so many questions so little time :-)

There are some discussions on this here on Travelfish. Go look at:

post 1 to read

post 2 to read

post 3 to read

You'll pick up heaps of ideas/opinions/prejudices/etc. there.

Cheers

#4 Posted: 6/8/2009 - 09:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.