Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Vaccinations Help Needed

• Geezy

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2009

Sorry to start a new thread about something thats probably been discussed on here but i couldnt find anything and i'm starting to panic a bit.
    I booked a 2 week trip to Thailand on impulse and i leave in 17 days.
    I havent had any vaccinations yet. What ones do i need? Do i need them? Have i f****d this part of my planning up?

Many Thanks for your replies in advance

Geezy

#1 Posted: 6/8/2009 - 15:37

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

First off, don't panic.

Next, use the Search function in the top left corner, and enter the word 'vaccinations'. You will see a whole list of articles and discussions.

Alternatively, jump to the TF Health forum and start reading the posts: http://www.travelfish.org/board/topic/travelhealth

In particular, have a look here:
    http://www.travelfish.org/feature/99
    and here http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/travelhealth/6961_dizzy-with-travel-health
    and here http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/thailand/3675_vaccination-requirements-if-going-to-phuket-for-1-week

for some info and debate on this.

What part of Thailand are you going to? Presumably, if there for two weeks you are sticking to the main tourist areas, in which case you probably won't really need anything.

Also do a search on 'mosquitoes' or 'deet' - there has been some lively debate about taking anti-malarials -vs- preventing mozzie bites in the first place.

#2 Posted: 6/8/2009 - 18:23

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Geezy

Lisa's advice is pertinent and appropriate.

Depending on where you are going, where you are coming from, and what vaccinations you've already been given, it's likely you'll probably need no more vaccinations.

But, to be sure, determine where you are going, and go consult your local GP. Your GP will have access to the Travel Doctor website, and will make recommendations.

But, in so doing, don't fall victim to the drug company's desire that you be a pincushion for all their drugs.

And, unless you are going way outback, malaria will only require sensible clothing, and a bug repellent.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 6/8/2009 - 19:53

• Geezy

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2009

Thanks Busy Lizzy and Bruce. As you mentioned Bruce, i think i may have fell victim to the Drug Companys desire to pin cushion my ass! To be fair, they charged me £115. I will mostly be travelling in the main tourist areas. I think its a small price for peace of mind and it will shut my mum up! :-)

It breaks down like this for anyone who needs info - I had 2 jabs.

1) Low dose Diptheria, Tetanus and Polio. £31
    2) Combined Hepititus A and Typhoid. £84 (this was combined so it cost extra)

This was all part of the doctors recommendation based on me travelling through mainland Thailand in low risk areas. Boarders with different countries carry the most risk of diseases apparently

Geezy

#4 Posted: 7/8/2009 - 16:00

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Geezy

Think of it this way...

1) Low dose Diptheria, Tetanus and Polio. £31
    2) Combined Hepititus A and Typhoid. £84

The Diptheria, Tetanus and Polio you would have had as a kid, these are booster shots to keep you 'up to date'.

Hep A is now a worldwide condition, it will assist you even when you take the garbage out at home. The only one that was needed for Asia (as such) was Typhoid.

Cool, eh?

Cheers

#5 Posted: 7/8/2009 - 18:54

• Geezy

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2009

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think thats what you call 'getting shafted' mate :-(

#6 Posted: 7/8/2009 - 21:50

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

hehehehe

Yea, but think of it more as preventative maintenance.

Cheers

#7 Posted: 8/8/2009 - 05:11

• nzvic

Joined Travelfish
    29th July, 2009

Two sons and one of their partners have spent from 10 years to several mths in Thailand without any shots and haven't had anything.

Being older I probably should've had some shots, but have left it too late now; so am relieved to read the above.

Cholera was recommended by pal who worked in SE Asia?

#8 Posted: 8/8/2009 - 07:30

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

I definatley wouldn't recommend not getting shots. If it helps, as I live in the UK I get some shots for free and some I pay. I got exactly the same shots as you. They did recommend rabies as I was thinking of heading to Indonesia but we didn't have time as it means getting a course of jabs (three).

#9 Posted: 17/8/2009 - 23:52

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

PS The Uk foreign office have a section on theit website recommending which jabs to have. It's updated daily and can be used by those foreign to the uk.

#10 Posted: 17/8/2009 - 23:53

• Advertisement

• Geezy

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2009

Sparts - They tried to get me to have a Rabies shot also. I politley declined and i was skint and couldnt afford it anyway. They had a price list with all the shots i could have. It was a bit weird how you can just turn up and pay for these 'drugs'

#11 Posted: 18/8/2009 - 17:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Vaccinations needed ... By gillfred on 1 Sep 2006 5 4627 13 Sep 2006
Vaccinations needed for Vietnam and HK? ... By kierantravelmonkey on 12 Jan 2011 1 2757 12 Jan 2011