bangkok
    phuket
    phiphi
    ko lanta
    krabi
    ko samui
    bangkok

over 6 weeks

i will be travelling with a friend who needs to return home then.

I would like to stay for another month or so or until my money runs out and want to stay as flexible as possible concerning travel plans.

can i get a 60 day visa and then go off on a side trip to cambodia or vietnam before returning to thailand for a little while before i go ?

do i need to plan if i want to do this and get a multi entry visa ? (am thinking the entry would be wasted if i decided to spend my remaining time in thailand)

if i had been in thailand say 50 or less than 60 days could i go to an immigration office and get a 30 day visa extension to stay in thailand ?

thankyou for your replys

#1 Posted: 10/8/2009 - 14:16

• Advertisement

• jumpinjono

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2009

im from the U.K by the way

to explain my first question better can i pay at the border to leave / return - make a trip to cambodia / vietnam on a 60 day tourist visa

#2 Posted: 10/8/2009 - 14:20

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

jumpinjono

Go look at the fourth post here.

If you fly in, you get 30 days, no worries, if you go out of Thailand and back into Thailand by overland, you only get a 15 day - go here and touch for Thailand.

So, if you want to be sure, take note of the details in the first reference.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 10/8/2009 - 14:32

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

WHen leaving the Uk the airline may ask for proof of an onward ticket (Thai immigration never do!) OR a visa., (My understanding and experience of a few months ago, is that is being enforced unless some knows otherwise).

Currently I believe 60 day tourist visa are free so you lost nothing by applying for one. The 30 day extention is not free, however, at 1,900 Baht. When leaving Thailand your visa is finished, unless you have a mulitple entry (which may not be free).

You can apply for another 60 visa in Vietianne and that would give you the 60 days when crossig at a land border, otherwise, as already stated, it's 15 days. It is unclear if you will would get a 30 days visa IF you have an onward ticket at the end of that 30 days.

#4 Posted: 14/8/2009 - 19:43

• jumpinjono

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2009

Thanks for your replys theyve been very helpfull, could somebody please tell me if this is right.

Ive been in thailand for say 50 days on a 60 day tourist visa i obtained before i went.

I then decide to go to cambodia , so i go to bangkok to the cambodia visa office ? get a 30 day visa , cost say £10
    then travel from bangkok to siem reap , then phnom penh.

I then decide to go to vietnam so i go to vietnamese tourist office in phnom penh and get a vietnamese visa for say 30 days , cost say £20 (sorry cant remember cost offhand!!)

I then travel through vietnam to hanoi
    ( this is the bit im not sure of )
    ive changed the date on my return ticket from bangkok to allow say one and a half months for my little trip around cambodia and vietnam ,
    I want to arrive back in bangkok a couple of days before my flight leaves - now , will they give me a free 15 or 30 day visa on the plane from hanoi as long as i posess my return ticket back home ?

or do i need to buy a new thai 30 day visa in hanoi to cover me for the few days before my flight leaves ?

thankyou for taking the time out to reply , if some body could just put me straight on these last few points i should be clear
    thank you , jon

#5 Posted: 15/8/2009 - 00:55

• seagypsy

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2009

"I want to arrive back in bangkok a couple of days before my flight leaves - now , will they give me a free 15 or 30 day visa on the plane from hanoi as long as i posess my return ticket back home ?

or do i need to buy a new thai 30 day visa in hanoi to cover me for the few days before my flight leaves ?"

If you fly back into Thailand (for example Air Asia cheap flights from Hanoi back to Bangkok) then you'll receive a NEW 30 day visa exemption stamp. And even if you were to re-enter overland (for example Laos or Cambodia) you'll receive a new 15 day visa exemption. It really doesn't matter much if you're only going back to Thailand for several days to catch your flight back out to the UK unless you need to be in Thailand beyond those 15 days.

#6 Posted: 15/8/2009 - 02:10

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

"I then decide to go to cambodia , so i go to bangkok to the cambodia visa office ? get a 30 day visa , cost say £10"

You can get a Cambodian visa when you arrive in Cambodia - you do not need to arrange it ahead of time. Cost is USD$20 (or was it $25??).

And I agree with what seagypsy posted - you will get another free 30-day visa (actually, it's an exemption rather than a visa) when you fly into Thailand from Vietnam (or a 15-day one if you arrive overland). Again, you do not need to pre-arrange this; it is granted at the airport.

Which each arrival at the airport, your 30-day countdown starts over again.

#7 Posted: 15/8/2009 - 03:08

• jumpinjono

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2009

thankyou busylizzy and seagipsy , your both stars !! and thankyou to everybody else who replied on this post and gave answers .

#8 Posted: 15/8/2009 - 03:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.