Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

2 Week Thailand Itinery (comments and suggestions welcome)

• Geezy

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2009

Hi All,

I'm going to Thailand for 2 weeks next week. I have never been before and this is my first time away travelling on my own. I am 28 years old. I am really excited and fearful at the same time (healthy fear). I have made a final itinery which goes like this -

Fly into BKK

Spend 3 days in Bangkok then get the day train to Chang Mai and spend 3 days there (i've heard the day train is best for the scenery)

Take a flight from Chang Mai to Ko Samui spend the rest of my holiday there and amongst the islands and then fly back to BKK to return home.

I know 2 weeks is a short time but does this seem 'do-able' to people? And also, what are the costs likely to be?

Ta

Geezy

#1 Posted: 12/8/2009 - 17:31

• Advertisement

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Hi,

Yes that seems totally fine to me. Will you be taking the night train to Chang Mai so you can sleep on the train? I cant remember exactly but it's something like a 10/12 hour train ride. It would be nice in the day but it would be like wasting a day. If you go at night and sleep on the train you save a night's hotel cost and also still get the good scenery when you wake in the morning.

If you do the night train and your on your own 2nd class might be better as you will be in the coach with lots of other people. If you choose 1st class you could end up in a small compartment with another person you don't know - Thai or western/other, male or female (although apparently they try to match sex)

Flying from Chang Mai to the south is fine as I have done before but we actually flew to BKK and then catch another flight to the south (Krabi that time) but BKK to Samui is possible too.

As for costs, the train wont cost much, flights might cost you 2000/3000 baht each time and hotels if you havent booked could cost you as little as a few hundred baht a night to 10000 baht a night.

Most expensive thing in Thailand is beer!

If its your first time make sure you google 'Bangkok Scams' or something like that.

Have a great time and post up any other questions you have.

JMM :)

#2 Posted: 12/8/2009 - 19:14

• Geezy

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2009

Cheers JMM. Thats exactly the type of reply i was looking for. Taking the night train makes sense a it doubles as a the cost of a hotel as well. Thanks for the heads up on the 2nd class compartment. I dont want to end up alone with one other person. Those prices seem ok. Plenty of saving for beer money.

My plan is to fly direct to Koh samui then spend some time chilling on a beach. I will check the scams out as well because i've heard many a bad thing about them!

#3 Posted: 12/8/2009 - 19:37

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Wicked! Glad to help. :)

What flight are you taking to Samui that goes direct?

#4 Posted: 12/8/2009 - 19:39

• Geezy

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2009

I dont really know to be honest mate. I heard that Bagkok airways do a direct flight.

#5 Posted: 14/8/2009 - 17:15

• seagypsy

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2009

Yes, I seem to recall that Bangkok Airways does offer a direct flight from Chiang Mai to Samui. If you want diving or snorkeling (or want to learn how to dive, ie. get certified) then head to Ko Tao.

#6 Posted: 15/8/2009 - 06:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
1st trip...comments/advice on itinery please =) ... By effi_kiki on 24 Oct 2009 7 2380 10 Nov 2009
south vietnam itinery suggestions ... By mellimoon on 26 Mar 2010 0 1139 26 Mar 2010
3 week itinerary in SE Asia - Comments needed ... By randy_from_canada on 8 May 2008 2 3477 15 May 2008
My 3 week itinery in Vietnam - tips? ... By AndyPandy on 22 Aug 2012 11 2373 23 Aug 2012
A week to depature but itinery incomplete ... By John67 on 2 Apr 2010 5 1321 3 Apr 2010
Itinery advice for 'less-orthodox' 6 week BKK - BKK round trip in Aug/Sept ... By jonq1987 on 12 Apr 2012 8 1449 13 Apr 2012