Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Travel Plans for Oct - Suggestions Please??

• MichBee

Joined Travelfish
    14th August, 2009

Hi,

I've got Thailand as my last leg of my trip... hoping it will be the much needed holiday from the rest of the trip :P

I wanted to run what I have at the moment to see if its okay!?! And for any other suggestions. Looking for it to be a bit slow paced but still want to see things.

Arrive Bangkok - 1/10/09
    Bangkok - 2/10/09 (floating markets and temples)
    Koi Samui - 3/10/09
    Koi Samui - 4/10/09 (cooking class)
    Koi Samui - 5/10/09
    Koi Samui - 6/10/09
    Phuket - 7/10/09
    Phuket - 8/10/09 (elephant ride)
    Phi Phi - 9/10/09
    Phuket - 10/10/09
    Bangkok - 11/10/09 (flight back to Sydney)

Any comments/ suggestion would be much appreciated!

Cheers
    MichBee

#1 Posted: 14/8/2009 - 12:59

• Advertisement

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

If I had a week and was planning to spend it on a Thai island or two, I'd probably pick the east or west coast and stick to one area. E.g., you could go to Samui and if you feel like changing islands, check out Pha Ngan or Ko Tao. Or, you could head to Phi Phi and check out Ko Lanta if you feel like it. Personally, I wouldn't recommend Phuket unless you have some specific reason to go there, but then I've only briefly seen the main beaches (which I hated) so maybe there are quieter spots too.

Both the east and west coasts see quite a bit of rain that time of the year, but from what I understand, it should be a bit sunnier on average in the east.

#2 Posted: 14/8/2009 - 13:11

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

You seem to be sticking to the most well known "touristy" destinations... Was this intentional? Different people have different tastes so maybe it was or maybe you just haven't heard of any other places. What kind of accommodation, facilities and environment are you looking for?

Weatherwise... well I've been on Ko Phangan (Gulf side near Samui) in early September and the weather was very good .... but weather is weather, hard to predict what it'll be doing this year!

#3 Posted: 14/8/2009 - 15:19

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

October not great on either coast, but if I had to choose, likewise I'd go east coast, so i'd suggest skipping Phuket and Phi Phi and having more time on the east coast -- perhaps head from Samui to Ko Pha Ngan or Ko Tao depending on your interests.

if you're already committed to Phuket, then if you do one of the long day trips out to Phi Phi can be quite a good deal, and less disruptive than moving house just for the one night (if you know what I mean).

You can go elephant riding on Samui.

The floating market is a long day trip out of Bangkok, and it is a bit of a tourist trap -- with just two days in Bkk I'd lean towards staying more local, perhaps see a few temples, Jim Thompson's house or perhaps do a bit of cycling.

SBE also has a write-up on Taling Cham floating market which may also be of interest (if you're in town on the weekend).

Hope that helps - cheers

#4 Posted: 14/8/2009 - 16:44

• MichBee

Joined Travelfish
    14th August, 2009

Thanks for all the suggestion, I think we may just stick to the east coast this time then!
    Cheers

#5 Posted: 17/8/2009 - 09:24

• starfish

Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

I just got home from Thailand (very depressed), and i would 100% go to Ko Toa. It was beautiful and alot more relaxed than Samui (way too many Girlie Bars). however i would book accommodation as we found it quite hard with alot higher prices if you dont dive.

#6 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 22:56

• bwayne

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2009

Hi

I am traveling to Thailand in October/November with the following plan:

25 Oct Arrive Bangkok
    26 Oct Phuket
    27 Oct Phi Phi
    28 Oct Phi Phi
    29 Oct Suggestions
    30 Oct Suggestions
    31 Oct Suggestions

*I will be traveling with a friend so we ould like to do the lesser travelled route but maybe something with a bit of a nightlife

For the last part I will be traveling solo so don't wan to go to far off the beaten track so that I can hook up with other travelers

1 Nov Ko Samui
    2 Nov Ko Pha Ngan (FMP)
    3 Nov Suggestions
    4 Nov Suggestions
    5 Nov Suggestions
    6 Nov Singapore
    7 Nov Depart Singapore

I concerned re the weather in the east does the rain ruin your entire day this time of the year or is it duration of the rain typically short?

Should I base myself in Ko Pha Ngan and rather do day trips to Ko Tao or is worth it to stay on Ko Tao (I am only planning to snorkel)

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks

#7 Posted: 26/8/2009 - 03:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
In Bali with four kids plans have gone awol any helpful suggestions ... By luti767 on 17 Sep 2013 3 935 17 Sep 2013