Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Phuket Town

• virusvaleria

Joined Travelfish
    10th March, 2009

i booked 3 nites in Phuket Twon during xmas. Any tips on what to see/do? and how to get over to Phi Phi Island from there (or other islands for that matter)?
    thanks heaps

#1 Posted: 18/8/2009 - 13:35

• Advertisement

• daveglt

Joined Travelfish
    3rd October, 2009
    Total reviews: 4

Phuket town doesn't really seem to have a lot going on. There's a small market and a few restaurants but it seems to be more a place for the locals. Transport to and from beaches is easy to do though.

#2 Posted: 3/10/2009 - 14:16

• greenman42

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2009

I stayed in a guesthouse in Phuket town, also for three nights, and was a little disappointed with its proximity to the beach. Patong and Kata, the two most popular beaches, are a 15 minute songthaew ride away. Not too expensive on the way to the beach(50 baht or so), but the tuk tuk back that night will blow your budget!(400, 600, 900?)There are plenty of bike taxi's though, so it can be done.
    If you want to be on and off the beaches all day, like I did, you might want to look at getting something in Patong. Even if you lose on the deposit, it might save you time and money.

#3 Posted: 3/10/2009 - 20:47

• boxee

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008
    Location Singapore

i had to stay in phuket town for 5 nights while i was waiting for a cash card to be delivered from england , and dave and greenman are right ,there are not alot of things to do in the day time , a bus to patong bech will cost about 25 baht. and take about 30 minutes to get there. in the night there are quite a few good restaurants and a few good bars that have bands playing.
    if u are there for a few days try the uptown restaurant , my friend lek runs this place and the food is very good , also she is very helpful if u have any questions about phuket town she will be able to help u

danny

#4 Posted: 3/10/2009 - 21:53

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Cheap to get to the Phuket beaches, but yeah, a bit time consuming from Phuket town. I've got an idea the last songthaews back from the beaches may be around 1700-1800 so you can spend a fair time there and still get back cheaply.

Phuket town is only a few km from the Rassada pier for Phi Phi. But the best idea is to shop around trip ticket sellers in town plus your hotel's travel desk for the best price, which usually includes free pickup and transport to the pier - and is often cheaper than the pier ferry ticket price.

Those ticket sellers should also be able to set you up for trips to nearby Coral Island and the more distant Ko Racha.

You can get to Ko Yao Noi on frequent longtails out of Bang Rong, a fair way up Phuket's east coast. Hourly songthaews leave from the same Phuket town market area that the Phuket beach songthaews start.

There are 2 ferries a day for Ko Yao Yai from the Jian Warnet (Gan Wanet) pier near Phuket town to Yao Yai‘s southern pier. This is about 500m “upriver” from the popular Rassada pier used by the Phi Phi ferries, but it took me a while to find a motorcycle taxi guy in Phuket town who knew the location.
    Heimat Garden’s transport page http://www.heimatgardens.com/ferry_times.php shows a car ferry leaving at 1000, but my morning boat was a smaller passenger+goods job which could also take motorcycles via a plank to the upper deck - at 1030. The vehicle ferry was moored alongside, running in the afternoon that day.

If you want to move on from Phi Phi to other islands there are ferries to Lanta in high season, to Krabi and Railay (not really an island) and if you use Tigerline you can island hop all the way to Langkawi in northern Malaysia. We are talking high season only for the latter too.

Finally, if I was in Phuket town and looking for a daytrip I'd definitely do Phang Nga Bay for some of the best seascape/landscape in the world. Often sold as the James Bong Island trip - but you spend minimal time at this bit of a tourist trap because of pressure on boat parking. The rest of the bay is fabulous.

#5 Posted: 4/10/2009 - 09:36

• thailand_as-
    ia

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2009
    Location Germany
    Total reviews: 2

nice temples, a merket... nothing special the same like in every thai city, but a bit more touristik than the north.

#6 Posted: 5/10/2009 - 12:31

• virusvaleria

Joined Travelfish
    10th March, 2009

the reason why i booked in Phuket Town is because we want to get to the major islands off the southern coast and phi phi island and all that.
    Thanks everyone!

#7 Posted: 6/10/2009 - 12:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
phuket town ... By apollo on 24 Jul 2008 3 1943 1 Sep 2008
New bus terminal Phuket Town?? ... By Pigsy on 17 May 2012 13 4393 7 Jun 2012
how do i get from phuket town to ao nang krabi?? ... By g_singh on 28 Sep 2007 5 5206 29 Dec 2012
Rattaya Mansion, Phuket town ... By transki on 17 Mar 2007 0 1957 17 Mar 2007
Phuket Airport/ town to Koh Kho Khao resort ... By wailing1 on 16 Jul 2006 1 3192 17 Jul 2006
Russada Pier in Phuket town to Mai Khao beach? ... By Louw on 17 Dec 2009 2 3560 17 Dec 2009
Sino House Hotel and Apartment in Phuket Town ... By sutida15 on 1 Oct 2009 0 1950 1 Oct 2009