Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thai Boxing Camp?

• incognitach-
    ikita

Joined Travelfish
    21st August, 2009

I'm looking to travel to Thailand to attend a boxing camp and train in Muay Thai.

I'm a 29y/o female with some experience in martial arts, Muay Thai included, but in this context, I would call myself a beginner. I'm not looking to be a professional, or even fight necessarily, but I'd like the experience of rigorous training for a few weeks or possibly months, depending on how things go.

I'm looking for a school that is reasonably priced and relatively authentic, whatever that means. That is open to beginngers/foreigners, but is not solely for that purpose. That trains actual Thai boxers, that is maybe off the beaten path a little, and that has some members that speak english, because unfortunately I don't have a second language, other than my poor Spanish.

In my research I have come across Lanna Boxing Camp, or “Kiat Busaba”, in Thailand’s northern capital city of Chiang Mai. I was wondering if anyone had any experience/info on this or any other boxing school? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

#1 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 23:24

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Hey little sister, there is a gym in Ubon Ratchathani that is training a handful of foreigners AND Thais (together). It is deep in Isaan, and not on a tourist track. I've been to some of their fights - they can fight. It's a very tough sport, but you are obviously aware of this. If you are interested, I will see if I can get you more details. Not a lot of women in the sport though (but there are some). To get a fight you'll probably have to actually fight in Bangkok.

#2 Posted: 22/8/2009 - 11:50

• incognitach-
    ikita

Joined Travelfish
    21st August, 2009

Thanks for your response! Any info would be helpful. I'll check out the link you included too.

#3 Posted: 26/8/2009 - 00:27

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

There is Horizon on Ko Pha Ngan: http://www.horizonmuaythai.com/ It's quite out of the way and I'd imagine most of the students are foreigners, but could be worth a look.

There is also a muay thai gym walking distance from Khao San Road -- it definitely trains both Thais and foreigners. No website that I know of, but anyone on KSR will be able to point you in the right direction. There is a story about it here: http://www.khaosanroad.com/nicole/nicolepage.htm

Cheers

#4 Posted: 26/8/2009 - 07:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Muay Thai (boxing)?? ... By Averydka on 10 Nov 2006 1 2208 10 Nov 2006