Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

koh samui to phan nga islands

• halongbay07

Joined Travelfish
    4th March, 2009

having never been to thailand before im completely unsure of the best route to take between those two destinations, so if anyone can tell me how easy or difficult it is and the where to boats got from etc that would be appreciated!

thanks.

#1 Posted: 22/8/2009 - 00:11

• Advertisement

• sweetbj10

Joined Travelfish
    1st May, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

from koh samui to koh pha ngan it is just a short boat ride, either by speedboat or by the larger and slower ferry. boats leave from the northern part of koh samui throughout the day, easiest spot to get a ticket to the ferry is at the big buddha pier on the aptly named big buddha beach. ferry ride is about 50 minutes, and a speedboat ride is about 15 minutes. they run more often during the times of full moon parties, not sure the schedule of times exactly, but you can get there and back at least a couple times per day.

#2 Posted: 22/8/2009 - 04:39

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

#3 Posted: 22/8/2009 - 06:33

• halongbay07

Joined Travelfish
    4th March, 2009

thats great thanks guys, i really wanted to visit the bay lslands part, is that actually part of koh pha ngan main land? and if so do you know the best way to get there?

#4 Posted: 22/8/2009 - 15:57

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

Sorry HalongBay07, I don't know what you mean. What bay islands?

Sparts

#5 Posted: 22/8/2009 - 17:52

• halongbay07

Joined Travelfish
    4th March, 2009

lol im not too sure either! i jusy saw an article that said the koh phan gna bay islands are a must see place etc etc

thinking about it now it may well have meant the whole island, if so can you recommend any particular part of it?

cheers.

#6 Posted: 23/8/2009 - 00:15

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hey halongbay07,

do you mean ko pha ngan or do you mean phang nga bay?

like the others have said, ko pha ngan is an island just to the north of samui in the gulf of thailand, a fairly easy ferry boat ride away. there is one island just off the coast of ko pha ngan that i visited once, long ago, call ko nang yuan. it was pretty cool back then but i've heard mixed reviews recently.

phang nga province, on the other hand, is along the andaman sea coast. it forms the northern coast of the shallow phang nga bay that is also bordered by phuket to the west and krabi to the east. there are a series of really cool limestone cliff islands in this bay, including the famous one from the james bond movie called "the man with the golden gun." i've taken tours of this bay twice, departing once from phang nga town and once from krabi. but i bet you can do them from phuket or the phi phi islands as well.

#7 Posted: 23/8/2009 - 04:52

• hmdliven

Joined Travelfish
    19th February, 2011

Hi mates,
    Im heading to Ko Ngai, and wondering if i can find a cheap and back-packaers suit accommodations, can one help me for right options
    Thank's
    Ben

#8 Posted: 19/2/2011 - 22:46

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

Think he means Phang Nga bay islands.

Go to Krabi and book some tours. Easy.

#9 Posted: 21/2/2011 - 06:33

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

Ngai is mostly mid range to expensive. Don't know of any real cheap places there.

#10 Posted: 21/2/2011 - 06:34

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

You can try Paradise Bungalows on Koh Ngai. Pretty basic base and isolated. I paid 600baht/night a year ago (which I think was a bit high considering what I got. But it might be at the cheaper end for you. Check the out reviews on this site.

#11 Posted: 21/2/2011 - 07:05

• ThailandDia-
    ries

Joined Travelfish
    31st January, 2011
    Location Thailand

We stayed at a very very simple bamboo+palm leaves bungalow, right on the beach 800B I think it was called Koh Ngai villa) but bring anti anything that crawls or flights spray - it is in a green can, sold everywhere in Thailand but difficult to find on small islands. Koh Ngai is absolutely stunning!

Koh Hai Paradise resort is where we will stay next time- it is on the remote beach, one resort one restaurant and amaizing snorkeling. It was 500B last year, again very simple but sweet. Lots of doggies in this part of the island.

Hope this helps and hav ea a fantastic holiday)))

#12 Posted: 28/2/2011 - 14:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Ko Samui - Ko Phan Ngan in 17 days ... By brinner on 2 Jun 2009 1 2335 2 Jun 2009
Pakse to Si Phan Don - 4000 islands ... By Boohoo on 20 Nov 2013 7 4791 27 Nov 2013