Cheap flights, full moon and visa
23rd August, 2009
I'm planning a trip which involves travelling from Hanoi through Laos and Cambodia and then in to Thailand. From the 1st Dec -> 11th I plan on attending Suan Mokhh for a 10 day meditation. After that my only plan is to go to the Full Moon party for new years, and then fly to Australia.
1. Is it best to get a Tourist visa before I leave? Or visit an Embassy in Vientiane or Svannakhet on my way past?
2. How far in advance should I turn up to Koh Phangan! Will 19th be early enough to find a decent place to stay?
3. What options do I have in getting to Australia on the cheap from Bangkok?
Thank you in advance for any help :)
#1 Posted: 23/8/2009 - 18:56
21st January, 2004
Total reviews: 24
At least 113
1) i'd get the visa in Vientiane, but Savannakhet also works -- 6 of 1, half dozen of the other.
2) December is going to be a crazy month on KPN. For background-reading, give this a a whirl:
It's dated, but the advice holds -- if you're happy with budget shacks and don't want to be too close to the party, I'd be angling towards Ao Plaay Laem, north of Thong Sala, but there are a LOT of options!
3) Good question, if I could figure that out I'd be seeing my parents more often! If you're not picky about where you're flying into, then look into AirAsia flights into Perth from KL and Bali, also kinda cheapish routes to Darwin from Bali.
#2 Posted: 23/8/2009 - 19:07
1. Whatever is easiest for you. I personally tend to organise before I leave where I can. But some appear to like to leave options open and address the visa bit later.
2. I can't answer this, but posts elsewhere on Travelfish suggest it's not so much when you turn up, as whether yu can actually get accommodation during that critical period. Those doing their planning early talk about pre-booking accommodation. And, over the past month or so, there have been comments that accommodation is already somewhat fully booked in some places.
3. Try Jetstar, either from Bangkok (BKK) or Phuket (HKT). But, early Jan is holiday time in Oz, so the prices will be somewhat higher than after end jan. Another alternative is to fly BKK or HKT to Kuala Lumpur, and then on to Australia by AirAsiaX. Tiger Airways does BKK or HKT to Perth in Australia (via Singapore). You can take a Perth - Melbourne flight from there. Currently, prices for (say) 20 Jan are:
Jetstar: HKT - SYD A$350
AirAsiaX: HKT - KL - Mel A$315
Tiger: HKT - SGN - PER - MEL A$445
BKK >> similar prices.
Hope this helps.
#3 Posted: 23/8/2009 - 19:17
23rd August, 2009
Thanks, I'll take a look at the flights. Might stretch my stay in Thailand a few weeks after January then if it might be cheaper to fly then. Would it be easy to book something whilst i'm out there? Or is it best to book something now and try and work to a set date?
#4 Posted: 23/8/2009 - 20:25
I read in my loal paper that V-Australia are commencing flights from Thailand to Australia in November, and currently have a sale from HKT - Brisbane A$399.
#5 Posted: 24/8/2009 - 05:35
Add your reply
You need to be logged in to add a reply.
Not a member? you can join here.
|Possibly related discussions||Replies||Views||Latest reply|
|Where to stay for Xmas and NYE for the full moon party (cheap) ...||4||1787||9 Jul 2012|
|Full moon vs Half moon ...||1||1742||15 Apr 2013|
|Full moon festival in Hoi An ...||1||1091||27 Oct 2013|
|Full Moon Party - 6/1 ...||1||3437||22 May 2007|
|Full moon festival in Hoi An ...||4||6546||21 Feb 2008|
|Full Moon @ Philippines ...||5||4181||18 Sep 2014|
|full moon newb ...||3||2176||3 Feb 2008|
|Full Moon Party ...||5||2488||20 Dec 2012|
|full moon party and a-like ...||2||2965||30 Nov 2010|
|Full moon parties ...||2||1944||29 Jul 2010|