Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Buying Chiang Mai flight from airport

• thesage

Joined Travelfish
    27th August, 2009

We are arriving in Bangkok at 14.40 and would like to catch the flight to Chiang Mai at 17.15 from Thai Air. We may have to overnight in Bangkok, but we won't know until we get to Thailand.

Is it possible to buy flight tickets to Chiang Mai from Thai Air at the airport, or must be book in advance?
    (We are coming in on another airline, but to the same airport).

What are the chances of there being place on the flight at the end of September? Are these flights usually booked up?

Thank you

#1 Posted: 27/8/2009 - 15:05

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

You don't say which airport you are flying into. I've a feeling Thai Air has moved all its domestic operations to Suvarnabhumi but I'm not sure.

If so, then there are lots of flights from Suvarnabhumi to Chiang Mai on Air Asia too (and Air Asia is much cheaper than Thai Air).

From Don Muang you have other budget options, Nok Air and One2Go.

Either way, I think you'll probably be able to get on a flight to CM OK, especially in September as it's low season.

Prices will be higher than if you book in advance though.

#2 Posted: 27/8/2009 - 16:46

• thesage

Joined Travelfish
    27th August, 2009

Yes, Suvarnabhumi.
    The choice of Thai Air was their convenient hours.

Thank you.

#3 Posted: 27/8/2009 - 16:49

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

thesage

I don't know what the price of Thai Air is for you, but AirAsia has flights at US$46 BKK - CNK departing 19:10, and also 20:40.

As SBE suggests, it's not peak season, and there are several operators. But, that said, unless you hold grave fears that your inbound flight will be delayed/cancelled, it may be advisable to secure an onwards flight.

Maybe choose to allocate a few hours at BKK airport in case of delay. Also, AirAsia offer you an insurance option in case you cannot meet the departure time (but check the details to be sure).

Cheers

#4 Posted: 28/8/2009 - 06:50

• thesage

Joined Travelfish
    27th August, 2009

Thai Air is only a few USD more. I shall try to book in advance with flexibility option.

Thank you all very much.

#5 Posted: 28/8/2009 - 13:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Flight Price when buying in different countries? ... By stefanw on 2 Sep 2011 1 1604 2 Sep 2011