Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Ko Phangan: Sarikantang vs Cocohut Village

• smash

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2009

Hi all,

Can I get some advise re which property people prefer (and why) at Leela Beach in Phangan? Was originally looking at Santhiya but have decided we want to be closer to the action seeing as we're going to Phangan for the Full Moon Party... Love the look of Santhiya, but not sure many 'like minded travellers' will be staying at a five-star SLH...

Don't mind spending around THB3500-THB4000 per night which which would get a Beachfront Suite at Sarikantang. I'm leaning towards Sarikantang as it looks a bit more appealing on their website. We'll be getting towards the end of our trip and want something nicer on Phangan as will be back in wooden bungalows the following week learning to dive on Ko Tao.

Cheers,
    Ash

#1 Posted: 29/8/2009 - 03:26

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I found Sarikantang a nice place to stay as a 'treat' as our trip was ending. It was a nice 'resort' with a range of room options; I stayed in one of the cheaper, aircon rooms that was back from the beach, but it was absolutely fine - plenty of space, and clean. The pool was nice and clean. I remember the beach being OK although I didn't go swimming there.

We were not there for the FMP's so I can't comment about that.

I can't compare it to the other property you mentioned, but I would definitely go back to Sarikantang if looking to treat myself.

#2 Posted: 29/8/2009 - 04:43

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Smash -- all the props on Leela Beach are extremely popular over FMP -- reservations pretty much essential.

Between Coco Huts and Sarikantang -- six of one half dozen of the other -- though the latter is marginally further away from the road, so slightly quieter.

It is a glorious beach.

#3 Posted: 29/8/2009 - 07:16

• smash

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2009

Out of interest, what is 'six of one half dozen of the other'?

Sarikantang looks a bit more boutique-ish. Coco Huts is cheaper though and their wooden bungalows look cute.

Decisions, decisions...

What is late-May like in Koh Phangan and Koh Tao? Good weather? We're completely skipping Koh Samui - assume we're not missing much by doing this with 5n Phangan, 6n Tao and then 14n Phuket?

#4 Posted: 29/8/2009 - 08:58

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Sorry, I slipped into an Australianism -- it means there is little difference between the two.

May will see some rain, but will be drier than the east coast.

#5 Posted: 29/8/2009 - 11:38

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

For what its worth, I visited Leela for an update look last fortnight - the resorts are adjacent in the western part of the beach where the sand is real nice. Note like all Phangan's south-coast beaches the water gets a bit shallow at low tide, but at Leela this leads to patches of coral close to the surface with sections of sand between big enough for a few people to sit around with their chins above water checking the scene. And if they have a snorkelling mask it's real neat to stick yer head under to check the fishies etc swimming around the coral.It's a bit hard to swim at lowest tide but no problem away from this.
    I don't think you will go wrong whichever of the two resorts you pick. Coco had upgraded since I last visited and Sarikantang's pool area and beach bungalows looked real nice.

#6 Posted: 29/8/2009 - 17:19

• thompson150

Joined Travelfish
    5th August, 2011

Hi all,

I'm hoping to book Coco Huts for the FMP in November 2011.

However, they asked for a 100% payment upfront via paypal. Is this standard? I usually just arrive on the day and hope to find somewhere nice!!!

#7 Posted: 5/8/2011 - 16:59

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

You could take your chances if you are getting there a few days before the FMP... but have a backup plan for alternative accom. I would imagine that they get booked up around the FMP.

You could always contact them directly and ask about paying a deposit only, I guess.

#8 Posted: 5/8/2011 - 18:08

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

You could take your chances if you are getting there a few days before the FMP... but have a backup plan for alternative accom. I would imagine that they get booked up around the FMP.

You could always contact them directly and ask about paying a deposit only, I guess.

#9 Posted: 5/8/2011 - 18:08

• adampatto

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2011

Thompson150 did you end up staying at Cocohut in November?

I would be curious to know your thoughts or if anyone else has stayed at these properties if they have any feedback?

#10 Posted: 15/1/2012 - 14:41

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
anyone stay at Sarikantang Reosrt on Ko Phangan? ... By truesd10 on 23 Apr 2009 2 1518 27 Apr 2009
pooltrap village koh phangan ... By kaede on 8 Sep 2010 3 2213 29 Mar 2011