Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Airline Requirement Stress!!

• lozza1978

Joined Travelfish
    24th June, 2009

Hello

Having just spoke to Emirates airlines who ill be flying with to Bangkok, im stressing hard and really need some help on this please,

My initial plan, the one I have been perfecting for at least 6 weeks is now in jeopardy, my plan was arrive in Bangkok, head north cross the border in to Laos, work my way down into Cambodia and cross back in to Thailand for Christmas.

Id be out of Thailand within the 30 days, then take a further 30/40 days to travel Laos and Cambodia,
    Emirates Airlines have told me that I will need to purchase an onward ticket out of Thailand dated before the expiry of your visa, or within 30 days of arrival,

Not a problem as I don’t intend staying in Thailand for the full 30 days, the problem is I don’t want to change my plan, I want to go via Chiang Mai and I also want to cross the border at Hurray Xai
    I searched the net for coach tickets out of Chiang Mai to cross the border and nothing!!.

Ive searched flights with AirAsia and, they only fly to Kula Lumpur (Wrong Way) I want to be heading east not south!!

An alternative would be to fly from Bangkok to Phnom Pen, But this ***** up all my travel plans and would mean missing Laos altogether and spending week, 10 days in Bangkok
    Can anyone recommend what I should do?

#1 Posted: 31/8/2009 - 18:45

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Just go to a Thai consulate and get a 60 day tourist visa (or do it by post). They are giving them out free at the moment to encourage tourism though there may be a handling charge.

The airline will let you board without an onward ticket if there's a proper tourist visa in your passport.

#2 Posted: 31/8/2009 - 19:17

• lozza1978

Joined Travelfish
    24th June, 2009

I asked Emirates the very same question; they said that I should have a visa for the period reflecting in your itinerary.

I just had a thought though - they want to see an onward ticket to board the plane, thats fine - doesnt mean I have to use the onward ticket once I get to Thailand,

#3 Posted: 31/8/2009 - 19:22

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

You really don't need an onward ticket if you have a 60 day tourist visa in your passport but up to you.

6 weeks is 42 days. The visa is 60 days. Where is the problem?

#4 Posted: 31/8/2009 - 20:06

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Ah sorry I read your post too fast and misread the 6 weeks bit.... you'll be travelling over 60 days in total.

I still reckon that if you have a visa in your passport there will be no problem. I've been travelling to Thailand on a one way ticket every year for the past 5 years or so. In my experience airline check- in staff want to see either a visa in your passport OR an onward ticket if you haven't got one. They never ask for both.

But maybe someone who's flown Emirates recently can confirm this.

#5 Posted: 31/8/2009 - 20:22

• lozza1978

Joined Travelfish
    24th June, 2009

Sorry I should of made the first post clear.

we have 87 days in Thailand/Asia and Emirates are saying they want to see an onward ticket within the 87 days or a valid visa for the duration of the stay, its a pain in the butt and chucking away £35 for a flight ticket which were not going to use.

I have phoned them Today and I asked them to confirm the details via Email, which at first they were hesitant to do but after a 35 minute telephone call they have done so.

Email confiramtion below
    "If you already have visas that cover the entire length of stay, you will be permitted to board.
    If not, you will need to purchase an onward ticket out of Thailand dated before the expiry of your visa, or within 30 days of arrival if you do not already have the visa (since UK passport holders may obtain a 30-day visa on arrival in Thailand).
    Otherwise, you would be deemed as not meeting the entry requirements for your destination country and thus could be denied boarding.

Kind regards,"

lozz

#6 Posted: 1/9/2009 - 03:51

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

What a pain!

Their wording seems to be saying that if you already have the visas you'll need anyway in your passport they'd let you on though. Depends how much time you have before you leave whether that would be feasible or not for you.

One (free) 60 day Thai visa and one other 30 day visa would cover the 87 days.

If you're going overland to Cambodia it's not a bad idea to already have the visa anyway...saves you hassle at the border with immigration trying to get you to pay extra.

#7 Posted: 1/9/2009 - 06:12

• smash

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2009

I work in travel and I get clients all the time who think they can get away with things like this. I always get them to reply to me in writing that they're taking responsibility so I don't get any nasty surprises.

Recently had a guy who refused to book any onwards arrangments in South America put back on the plane on arrival in Buenos Aires and the airline was fined.

Basically, you have to have the correct visas and travel arrangments for each country you are visiting. Emirates is well within their rights (and is actually being incredibly responsible) by ensuring that you either (a) have a visa which gives you a full stay as per your itinerary with them or (b) have confirmed arrangments in to and out of the country which would let you around needing a visa.

SBE you're incorrect in this instance - you can't combine a free tourist visa with a 60-day visa. It's one or the other. So pax will need a visa for the full 87 days OR will need onwards travel arrangments confirmed. And be careful with buying one-way onwards arrangments - have had people pulled up on this too.

#8 Posted: 1/9/2009 - 06:33

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

"SBE you're incorrect in this instance - you can't combine a free tourist visa with a 60-day visa"

That isn't what I said (I don't think). Maybe I wasn't clear.

The 60 day Thai tourist visa is currently free and will be until March.

I was suggesting combining that with 30 day Cambodian visa (not free but lozza will need one anyway).

ie Two "proper" tourist visas already in lozza passport when he/she checks in at the airport. They are both valid for 3 months after issue AFAIK so lozza will be able to use the Cambodian visa when crossing the border overland.

#9 Posted: 1/9/2009 - 07:22

• smash

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2009

Ah okay I see. Apologies! Yes, I think this would work as evidence of intent to travel onwards. I'd be happy to recommend that but would still have a 'at your risk' in fine print! ;o)

#10 Posted: 1/9/2009 - 07:30

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The simplest way around this is to buy the cheapest ticket online you can find out of Thailand within the stated period and just throw the ticket away. Try AirAsia -- they have fares of almost nothing for some routes. Nok Air also worth a go.

The reason not everyone experiences what you are is because it is dependant on the airline. BA is apparently also quite bad on this issue. it doesn't matter to the airline that in practise Thai immigration couldn't give a toss about the onwards ticket (assuming you are a legit tourist) -- the airline just doesn't want to get fined etc.

#11 Posted: 1/9/2009 - 07:53

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

add on to #11:
    could also try budget airlines like Firefly (http://www.fireflyz.com.my - Phuket/Ko Samui > Malaysia), Tiger Airways & JetStar.

AFAIK Nok Air does only domestic routes now (http://www.nokair.com/s1000_obj/contents/html/en-US/WhereWeFly.html).

#12 Posted: 1/9/2009 - 10:12

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

as per wc -- my mistake on Nokair -- wasn't thinking.

#13 Posted: 1/9/2009 - 10:13

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

I flew BA and other than a question at the airport had no problems with this. I explained that I'd leave ane re enter Thailand and they had no problem with it.
    But you gotta go with the airline rules. No point in ruining your holiday for the sake of £30.

#14 Posted: 2/9/2009 - 05:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.