Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Win a holiday to Thailand

• travelfishn-
    ews

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2009
    Total reviews: 30

AP reports "The Tourism Authority of Thailand launched a new campaign Tuesday offering five couples fully paid trips to the country's most popular cities and beaches. In return, they will be asked to blog, chat and tweet about their holiday in a bid to win a grand prize of $10,000, a BlackBerry and a video camera."

To enter, all you need do is submit a one minute video to the competition website here: http://ultimatethailandexplorer.com

Good luck!

#1 Posted: 2/9/2009 - 10:09

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

WOW

What an amazing idea, what bright spark had the intelligence to dream that idea up as a marketing tool...

Cheers

#2 Posted: 2/9/2009 - 10:35

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Everyone's different but Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Samui and Pattaya aren't places where I'd actually choose to go on holiday if I only had a couple of weeks vacation.

I doubt if I'd be able to fake sufficient enthusiasm about any of them to win $10,000 so I don't think I'll bother altering my current travel plans in order to enter this competition.

Will be interesting to see what TAT chooses as the winning portrayal of Pattaya...so far the only people covering that destination are a couple of sailors from the ex USSR looking for a good time.

#3 Posted: 2/9/2009 - 19:45

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

SBE,

I think for $10,000, I'd be able to fake it! The trick would be to take your knowledge and experience and find the most unique and interesting things to see and do, even in the most common places. A roti still tastes great even in Pattaya.

#4 Posted: 2/9/2009 - 23:07

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

Bruce, I think it's an idea copied from the ozzie tourist board!
    they ran a competition recently to win a job, as caretaker of a remote Aozzie island. It was won by an English guy who's job it now is to tweet and whatever about life on the island while maintaining the island - he is the only person staying there although he has got the use of a 4 bedroom villa created especially for him1 Looks amazing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/8122396.stm

#5 Posted: 3/9/2009 - 00:36

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Sparts - yeah the TAT acknowledged that in the AP story referenced above:

""We got the idea from Australia," said TAT official Phanom Kaributra, who is coordinating the contest. "We think it's a good way to use social networking to promote Thailand.""

and also this gem:

"Phanom said the couples would be free to explore but would not be encouraged to "go to red-light districts and places like that.""

#6 Posted: 3/9/2009 - 07:12

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

$10,000 alotted. That means someone stole $90,000. By the time all the oposing parties get thru making accusations and calling for investagations it will be 2049 before it actually happens.

#7 Posted: 3/9/2009 - 09:04

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I just had a look at the actual rules and prizes for this competition.

This is what competing contestants will be required to do:

1. Explore their destination over a period of 6 days, AND…
    2. Share their experiences through the following online media platforms:

* Posting on a blog at www.ultimatethailandexplorers/yourname
    * Uploading video clips on www.Youtube.com/xxx
    * Uploading photos on www.Flickr.com/xxx
    * Maintaining a profile on www.Facebook.com/xxx
    * Posting tweets on www.Twitter.com/xxxxxx

3. Encourage people to vote for them at www.ultimatethailandexplorers.com during the voting period from 10 December 2009 to 8 January 2010.

http://ultimatethailandexplorer.com/index.php?id=22

THE PRIZES:

The winner gets $10,000 in cash (apparently) but they are a bit vague about how much the holiday package is worth... it's either $3000 or $5000 depending on where you look in the box. Maybe they are having trouble adding up how much all the free vouchers to shopping malls etc. are worth.

All the contestants will have to pay their own airfare to Thailand and only the winner gets a 6 day whirlwind holiday in Thailand. The round trip BKK-CM airfare is generously being offered as part of the 1st prize but the winners will apparently have to pay for their airfare to Phuket for the 3 nights they'll be staying there (in two different hotels)

The other 4 winning team prizes are two nights in a hotel and a spa treatment. Three of those hotels are in Pattaya and one is in Phuket.

None of the contestants seem to be getting ANY free nights in a hotel in Samui or Bangkok though they do say "other hotels will be announced soon" in the winner's prize section.... I'm not sure what that means as they already have six nights in hotels. Perhaps they'll be offering downgrades or something.

Looking at the videos so far I don't get the impression the contestants have read the fine print very well ... except maybe the two Russians who want to be in Pattaya anyway.

PS You can win a holiday package by voting too. The prizes for that look marginally better than what the four runners up will be getting and there's the added advantage that don't have to spend hours and hours blogging about how wonderful the most touristy parts of Thailand are.

PPS. Here is the event schedule. As you can see the competition is being held in December but the winners won't be announced till January. That means you may have to fly back to Thailand to get your two fee nights in a hotel in Pattaya unless you've planned a couple of months away from the office this winter.

* 1 September – 15 October 2009: Video clip submission/contest entry period.
    * 19 October 2009: Announcement of 25 Semi-final teams.
    * 19 October-12 November 2009: Online voting period to select 5 finalists from 25 teams.
    * 13 November 2009: Announcement of Final 5 teams
    * 8 December 2009: Final 5 teams arrive in Thailand
    * 9 December 2009: Event briefing / welcome party & press conference
    * 10-15 December 2009: Competition
    * 16 December 2009: Thank you party
    * 10 December 2009 – 8 January 2010: Online voting period to select the winning team.
    * 8 January 2010: Announcement of the winning team.
    * 2 February 2010: Press conference

#8 Posted: 3/9/2009 - 16:44

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Sorry forgot to post a link to the prizes for the winners section.

http://ultimatethailandexplorer.com/index.php?id=3

#9 Posted: 3/9/2009 - 16:46

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

$10K, a BlackBerry and a video camera!!
    Jeez, I've been posting TAT stuff on my site and on travel forums for years - all they ever send is comp. tickets to FANTASIA on Phuket.

Okay, Fantasia is okay the first couple of times, but if I hear the Katoey Review belting out "PHUKET, PHUKET!" to "NEW YORK, NEW YORK!" one more time I reckon I might punt them into near earth orbit.

#10 Posted: 3/9/2009 - 18:00

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

tezza - I've never seen the show -- is it as bad as it looks? Which would be pretty bad as I imagine it to be awful...

#11 Posted: 3/9/2009 - 18:20

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Bit cheesy, but not awful - THE FIRST TIME.

#12 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 16:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.