Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Kanchanaburi and Ayutthaya

• mhlow

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2009

I need ur help again guys. My family and i have decided to go to kanchanaburi and ayutthaya in thailand and we were wondering what there is to do there? Are the elephant rides and bamboo rafting there worth a go?

#1 Posted: 2/9/2009 - 16:06

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

mhlow

For me, Kanchanaburi has a nearby waterfall that is scenically enjoyable. But, the most obvious attraction is that Kanchanaburi was a prisoner of war centre during WW2. As such, there is much history to view. Bridge over the River Kwai, Hellfire Pass (a must see), and the various museums and war graves in the city centre.

Perhaps you might look at what Travelfish says about the two places:

Kanchanaburi, look at this...

http://www.travelfish.org/location/thailand/central_thailand/kanchanaburi/kanchanaburi

Ayutthaya, look at this...

http://www.travelfish.org/location/thailand/bangkok_and_surrounds/ayutthaya/ayutthaya

Cheers

#2 Posted: 2/9/2009 - 17:24

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

Hi mhlow,

Kanchanaburi is a great place in Thailand for outdoor activities, but I agree with Bruce that the real magic of the place is the history dating from WWII and the building of the Death Railway. I imagine it is particularly important for ANZAC's, but the bridge, cemeteries, and museums have always meant something extra special to me too.

Our last trip to Ayutthaya was three years ago now, but we particularly enjoyed taking the afternoon boat trip around the island and eating at any of the restaurants that line the river. Fun stuff. You can read our aging trip report about the place at:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/tripreports/695_ayutthaya---july--06-trip-report

Have fun.

#3 Posted: 2/9/2009 - 23:16

• mhlow

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2009

Thanks BruceMoon and exacto.

exacto, I read ur article and i'm thinking of doing something along the lines you what you did. How did you get to Ayutthaya? My family and i are going to be staying somewhere in Bangkok so would it be recommended that we go on a tour to get there?

#4 Posted: 3/9/2009 - 11:12

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia

Mhlow, no need to get a tour from Bangkok. You can either catch a train or as we did catch a mini van to Ayutthya. Catch the BTS Skytrain to Victory monument. Minivans leave regularly from there.About 2 hrs travel time once the van is full.
    regards

#5 Posted: 3/9/2009 - 11:27

• mhlow

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2009

How about getting around Ayutthya?? What modes of transport are available to get from Wat to Wat?

#6 Posted: 7/9/2009 - 19:40

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

mhlow

Either rent a treadly or shanks pony.

Cheers

#7 Posted: 7/9/2009 - 20:07

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006

mhlow,

like swag says, it isn't necesaary to go with a tour to Ayutthaya , but it is certainly an option. if i were going to do a tour, i'd try to do one that goes by boat from Bangkok at least one leg of the trip. that's a pretty amazing ride up the river from BKK to Ayutthaya.

otherwise, like swag says, the minivans from Victory Monument or nearly any train heading north from Bangkok will stop off in Ayutthaya, as do lots of buses from the Mo Chit Northern bus station.

these transports drop you off in modern Ayutthaya town, which is a fair distance from the ancient ruins and the UNESCO area. but walking or hiring a bicycle as Bruce suggests will certainly work. if you are comfortable driving one, motor scooter rental is also an option. just be careful to wear your day pack on your back rather than place it in the basket on a push bike or motor bike, as the hoodlum's back pack snatch & grab was perfected in Ayutthaya years ago.

it should also be possible to rent a tuk tuk-style motor taxi to tour the ruins. it's a bit pricy but lots of fun. it used to be 200 baht per vehicle per hour flat rate hire, but i don't know what the price is now. have fun.

#8 Posted: 7/9/2009 - 23:08

• AlyssaAnne

Joined Travelfish
    9th August, 2009

Is a trip to Kanchanburi or Ayutthaya a good idea if one only had four days in/around Bangkok before moving on to Laos and Vietnam? Just wondering if I'd be pushing it and if I'd get a fill of a slower pace later in the trip, but both areas sound very tempting.

A

#9 Posted: 8/9/2009 - 17:15

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

A

When planning a journey, everything is tempting. With just 4 days in/around Bangkok, I'd suggest you not entertain K (ie stay put in BKK).

Cheers

#10 Posted: 8/9/2009 - 17:57

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

AlyssaAnne
    Well Bkk has enough to keep you busy for a few weeks, so on one hand you could certainly fill four days there. However if you were looking at doing one of the two placs you mention on a daytrip, I'd suggest Ayutthaya over Kanchanaburi . You can go one way by boat, which will also include a visit to Bang Pa-in and then spend the afternoon at the ruins, with a late afternoon bus or train back to Bangkok. Kanchanaburi is (imo) too far for a day trip to really be worthwhile.

#11 Posted: 8/9/2009 - 18:11

• AlyssaAnne

Joined Travelfish
    9th August, 2009

Hi Bruce,

Thanks again. I had a feeling I might have been pushing things. Will just put it all on my list of To Do Another Time and hope there will be another time. :)

Ta,
    Alyssa.

#12 Posted: 8/9/2009 - 18:13

• AlyssaAnne

Joined Travelfish
    9th August, 2009

Great. Will definitely look into Ayutthaya.

Ta,
    Alyssa.

#13 Posted: 8/9/2009 - 18:17

• humanpowersb

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2014

ayuttaya is easy
    just head to the "old town" and there are dozens of guest house and hotels near by , Tuk Tuk for the most part honest and easy....
    avoid clip joints like Tony's Place
    What a joke
    I had a bowl of fruit there for 60 baht and it barely had a full banana in the tiny bowl and would fill a two year olds belly
    at the wonderful market a block away I had a huge piece of mango and papaya together for 10 baht. the market has a bunch of great
    food stalls as well.
    So I was dismayed at tourists eating Wonder white bread smearing palm oil margerine on it at Tony's Place
    when ALL around town over the top fabulous Thai food at a faction of the price
    go figure

#14 Posted: 20/1/2014 - 21:31

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006

Hey Somtam,

Here's a great example of why shutting off older threads makes sense. In this one, the first-and-only poster had to go back nearly five years to find a thread where he could "casually" take a cheap shot at Tony's Place. Nothing to see here. Move along. Cheers.

#15 Posted: 20/1/2014 - 21:44

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Kanch has more. Erawan waterfalls r great plus u can raft down the river. War stuff.interesting too.

Ayuthaya ruins didnt impress me that much. Awfully hot out there too.

#16 Posted: 20/1/2014 - 23:12

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

U can book 2 night tours of kanch from bkk hotel. Book one that incl erawan. Forget tiger temple. Tigers r sick and poorly treated.

Ayuthaya can be done in a daytrip but bkk temples r more.interesting. national museum in bkk is good too.

Siam Niramit is a good show for night.

#17 Posted: 20/1/2014 - 23:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.