Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Military Backpack

Posted by FRAG on 2/9/2009 at 17:08

Hey, I'm going over for a month backpacking around Thailand and Cambodia.
Would I be able to use my old Army Cammoflage Bergen (Backpack) to save me buting another or would it cause me problems?
Should I bite the bullet and buy a more civilian option?

Many thanks
Frag

#1 FRAG has been a member since 1/9/2009. Posts: 4

Posted by BruceMoon on 2/9/2009 at 17:31

FRAG

Really, what you want to take to hold your gear is your opinion. If anyone suggests otherwise, tell them to take a hike.

There is a discussion on backpacks here at this post . On the 'gear' thread (here on Travelfish) there are other comments as well.

But, at the end of the day, I say why can't you take the pack that you find OK?

Cheers

#2 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by FRAG on 2/9/2009 at 17:48

Bruce,

Thanks for your post, I was concerned of it attracting attention from Police or Government Officials being of a military nature.

If anyone has had any problems or unwanted attention, please let me know.

Cheers Frag

#3 FRAG has been a member since 1/9/2009. Posts: 4

Posted by SBE on 2/9/2009 at 20:21

"I was concerned of it attracting attention from Police or Government Officials being of a military nature."

I very much doubt it. Army camouflage pants (trousers to us Brits) and tiny sexy army camouflage shorts for the ladies have been in fashion for a while in Thailand and are sold everywhere.

Your backpack should blend in just fine.

#4 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,002
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by Sparts on 3/9/2009 at 00:39

Possibly a stupid question, but is it fully waterproof? That'd be my biggest concern. I'm thinking you probably have a cover for it.

#5 Sparts has been a member since 5/6/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 167
 Where has Sparts been? 

Posted by FRAG on 3/9/2009 at 00:51

Nope not a stupid question but a point I haven't overlooked.

I have various waterproof bags that go inside it to keep stuff segregated.

#6 FRAG has been a member since 1/9/2009. Posts: 4

Posted by Sparts on 3/9/2009 at 04:31

Also, if you've read some other threads on this site you'll already know that security can be an issue. Although a pack that can be locked or secured in some way won't keep a determined thief out it's still serves a purpose and will make people think twice.

Enjoy your trip

#7 Sparts has been a member since 5/6/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 167
 Where has Sparts been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.