Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Chiang Mai>Chiang Rai>Luang Prabang>Vientiene

• mukapecah8

Joined Travelfish
    28th December, 2006

Hi guys,

My question:

starting from chiang mai>chiang rai>luang prabang>end up at vientiane. IN 10 DAYS.

I know it will be definite rushing, so any ideas for this 10 days?i might cut chiang rai? or luang prabang? or how?

is this possible:?

24-26/12 - chiang mai 3days
    27-28/12 - chiang rai 2days
    29-31/12 - luang prabang 3days
    01-02/01 - vientiane 2days

What do u think for 10 days my 'speedo' travel itineraries?
    ...waiting for the opinion now. plz guide me.thx

-apek-

#1 Posted: 2/9/2009 - 22:57

• Advertisement

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

need to factor in time for travelling from place to place.
    to help us help you - what are you interested in seeing/experiencing? & your transport budget?

ultimate 'speedo':
    Day 1: Chiangmai > Luang Prabang (1h plane)
    Day 2: Luang Prabang > Vientiane (40min plane)

ultimate budget 'speedo':
    Day 1: Chiangmai > Chiangrai > Chiang Khong (~6h direct bus)
    Day 2+3: Huay Xai > Luang Prabang > Vientiane (~24+h direct bus)

less than 10 days :P

#2 Posted: 2/9/2009 - 23:47

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

apek

I'm with the 'cat as to plane from Chiang Mai to Luang prabang.

However, if you want to go overland, I'd skip Chiang Rai (unless there is something there that holds great fascination).

There's a VIP mini-bus from Chiang Mai directly to Chiang Khong (leaves about 10, arrives about 3). Reason? because the rest of the journey to Luang Prabang will be full on bus travel, so try and minimise time in a bus.

The (1st) bus leaves Huay Xai about 9am, but be at the bus station an hour before. Go check the bus station when you arrive Huay Xai - that way the ticket sellers will know you're a pax. I found that buying bus tickets from ONLY the bus station is a major rule not to be broken.

The bus from Huay Xai to Luang Prabang involves 2 buses - Huay Xai to Luang Nam Tha (day 1), and Luang Nam Tha to Luang Prabang (day 2). The former arrives about 2pm, and at the main road bus staion - leaving a 10k tuk-tuk to ride to town (and accommodation). Bus #2 leaves around 9am: again be there an hour early (you can pre-purchase the tix the afternoon before at the highway bus stop).

Cheers

#3 Posted: 3/9/2009 - 05:33

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

#4 Posted: 3/9/2009 - 15:35

• mukapecah8

Joined Travelfish
    28th December, 2006

wonderingcat - hahaha....even less than 4 days..cool cool...im gonna see nothing except nice cabin or exquisiteness bus interior.

BruceMoon - thx for the feedback. so my plan now is im gonna cut my trip in chiang rai...i'll go direct from chiang mai to luang prabang, but is there a direct bus? or do need to stay for at least one days in the border?
    i try my best to maximize my journey overland so i can spend most of my day in these 3 places within 10 days [chiang mai>luang prabang>vientiane]
    how is it possible gentleman??

#5 Posted: 3/9/2009 - 21:14

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

mukapecah8

In the short time you have, please reconsider flying from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang .

The bus...

Chiang Mai > Chiang Khong (and small boat over Mekong) stay Huay Xai = US$20 app.

Huay Xai > Luang Nam Tha (approx 5 hours) stay Luang Nam Tha = US$6 app

Luang Nam Tha > Luang Prabang (approx 9 hrs) = US$12

Accommodation Huay Xai, Lunag Nam Tha = US$30

Total cost by road, about US$68.

Total cost by air US$90 or 100.

So, not much diffderence, and you have 3 extra days to enjoy either Chiang Mai and/or Luang Prabang.

Cheers

#6 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 04:30

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

The plane from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang does sound like it might be the best good option for you mukapecah8 given your limited time and the promotional fare.

The road between Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng really is very scenic and if you fly to LP you should have plenty of time to do Vientiane overland with an overnight stop in Vang Vieng if you want.

I haven't done the Huay Xai -->Luang Nam Tha --> Luang Prabang road trip ... just wondering what the scenery like on that route? Is it better than what you see on the two day slow boat?

#7 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 05:04

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

SBE

I haven't taken the boat from Huay Xai to LP as a single trip. I've driven along the Thai section of the Mekong between Chiang Khong and (about) Pak Tha: where it enters Laos. The banks on both sides are denuded of vegetation. I've (long) boated upstream from Luang Prabang for several hours. Again, the banks hold little (native) vegetation. The vid footage I've seen of the banks around Pak Beng also show denuded river banks.

The road between Huay Xai and Luang Nam Tha runs through a valley, most of which is cleared for agriculture. The upper slopes of the valley sides (often some distance away) is largely vegetated. Perhaps because there is not the repetitive sameness as occurs along the Mekong, it is an enjoyable journey.

From Luang Nam Tha to Luang Prabang, the bus travels over several (steep) ranges. For possibly a third of the whole journey, one travels through good quality vegetation (on one side, or the other, or both). As well, the villages, and their small crop style farming, dotted along the journey also make for an attractive ride.

The only downside (to the speed focussed westerner) is that the land journey can be long and tedious. Then again, in a cramped boat with no way to exercise muscles, and a repetitive scenery, the boat isn't a preferable option. Sad, as for longish journey's I've come to prefer boat travel in SE Asia the most.

Cheers

#8 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 05:44

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Thank you Bruce! That was very informative ... people rarely describe what the view out the window is like on bus journeys but it does influence me a bit when deciding routes/modes of transport. Sounds like the Luam Na Tha-LP section is rather nice if you have the time to do it.

#9 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 05:55

• mukapecah8

Joined Travelfish
    28th December, 2006

oh…bruce thx a lot!

then i will start my quick 'release' from chiang mai>luang prabang>vientiane.
    frens,with best regards, i'll fly.

#10 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 20:11

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Hanoi --> Vientane --> Luang Prabang --> Chiang Rai --> Chiang Mai ... By sophierose87 on 11 Jun 2010 2 4738 18 Jun 2010
Flights from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang & Luang Prabang to Hanoi(V'nam)? ... By aussieboonmar on 8 Mar 2006 7 9557 19 Aug 2011
From Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang by bus ... By Banana17 on 24 Nov 2011 11 2915 6 Jan 2012
Chiang Mai ---> Luang Prabang ... By walkingtrees on 8 Jul 2010 4 2284 13 Jul 2010
Getting from Luang Prabang to Chiang Mai ... By Echo10 on 22 Jan 2010 0 3008 22 Jan 2010
luang prabang from chiang mai ... By rhess106 on 16 Nov 2008 3 3002 17 Nov 2008
Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang? ... By JamieG on 19 Sep 2010 6 3985 22 Sep 2010
Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang ... By Nokka on 19 Jul 2009 3 3847 20 Jul 2009
fly from chiang mia to luang prabang or LP to BKK ... By lorna123 on 9 Nov 2010 3 1695 30 Dec 2010
Luang Prabang to Chiang Rai ... By hmuscente1 on 28 May 2010 11 6586 20 May 2014