Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

how is the beaches at Haad Nopphara Thara?

• Sampan

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2009
    Total reviews: 3

Hello all!

I'm soon to leave for a 8 month stay in SEA, mainly Thailand, but will also be visiting some of the neighbouring countries.

My travel plans are very "loose" and for Thailand they look something like; arrive in Bangkok and spend about a week to get a feel for it and do some shopping.

After that (in the beginning of October) i'm heading down to Krabi and plan to find some quiet and simple beach accommodation suitable for recreation and stay for a month or two.

So far the descriptions of the western side of Haad Nopphara Thara seems to offer some good alternatives, but from what i gather some beaches in the Krabi area are very shallow and not all that suitable for swimming. Would be that case for the western stretch of Haad Nopphara Thara beach as well?

If so, what could be a good alternative for simple and quiet on (or close to) the beach style living in the Krabi area?

I would be very grateful for any tip.

Oh, and thanks for a terrific site!

Happy trails :)

#1 Posted: 3/9/2009 - 16:43

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I take the western side to be just over the headland from Ton Sai and running east to the small river which separates it from Hat Ton Son which is usually regarded as eastern NT.

Well, the western side is a pretty nice stretch of sand with some good views of offshore karst islands and Kos Yao Noi and Yai, but like the eastern side the water does tend to be pretty shallow low tide.

Not really a tourist beach, but tends to be popular with locals on weekends and other non-work periods. Quite a few food vendors set up in various places.

East NT tends to be a fair bit quieter. Still shallow water at low tide. Although there are some bungalow places, it is within the National Park and so living there would be pretty difficult.

If island living is not out of the question, I would be maybe thinking of somewhere on Ko Jum.

#2 Posted: 3/9/2009 - 18:13

• Sampan

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2009

Thanks for the reply!

The area I'm referring to as "western NT" would be the beach running north/south (inside the bay at the red marker if you follow the link; http://www.panoramio.com/photo/22092132 ), maybe my bearings are all wrong?

#3 Posted: 3/9/2009 - 18:54

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Sampan, do you mean the largely undeveloped strip between the red marker and the river to the right? If so that is the area we're talking about in the Haad Nopphara Thara page as the "Western" bit.

It's been a long time since we've been through there -- as tezza says, there were some good cheap places to stay there -- not sure about now. The beach is very shallow and windblown, but I liked it a lot. Certainly suitable for a very slow couple of weeks

#4 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 06:54

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

I've never been across to the peninsula on the western side of NT/Hat Ton Son. That shot sure looks nice, almost like West Railay. Could be a good place for you if access is okay and it is not in the NP.
    Note that in typical tezza style I got east and west mixed up in my answer above. Always happens when I'm in the Railay area. Duh!

#5 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 06:56

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Just took a closer look at the photo -- it is West Railay -- the roofs of the rooms are those distinct mushroom two storey villa things at the Rayavadee.

#6 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 07:13

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Well spotted somtam.
    I just noticed the strip of sand bottom right - that is the end of East Railay Beach near the path across to Phra Nang. West Railay is behind the trees mid background, the western headland of adjacent Ton Sai beach is far background left, and that long strip of sand far far background left would be NT.

The pic is shot from one of the viewpoints on the headland at the Phra Nang end of East Railay. There is a shot taken from the same place with the camera turned maybe 20 degrees right, about 45% down-page here -
    http://tezzasthaiinfo.blogspot.com/2006/12/krabi-and-railay-area.html

Sampan, you could stay in this area on a long term basis if you are prepared to pay - Railay Beach Club has nice beach houses under those palms in about the right 20% of that flat area between the beaches.

#7 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 13:45

• Sampan

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2009

Thanks a lot for the replies!

Yes somtam, that's the stretch i was thinking about. For some reason i was hoping the beach to be less shallow on that side (too bad the pic was from some where else though, happens quite a bit with google maps i suppose). I think i will have to go there too have a look at least.

Now, after reading on your (excellent!) blog about Ko jum Tezza, I'm beginning to think that it could be a very good choice after all, it looks fantastic! Initially i was thinking that living on an island would limit the possibilities to get around and explore the area too much, but now i'm not sure it matters a hole lot.

However, if anyone has any tips about places on the mainland i would be very grateful.

I should also mention that i will be travelling on a "backpacker budget" :)

//

#8 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 16:41

• Sampan

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2009

Hello again,

Is massage common everywhere? If staying on Ko Yum (or Ko Phayam) would it be easy to access?

//

#9 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 22:05

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Most places I go have some-one can give a massage.

#10 Posted: 10/9/2009 - 18:03

• Advertisement

• Sampan

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2009

That's very good to know. Thanks a million!

#11 Posted: 10/9/2009 - 20:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.