Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

FAST answer needed! best treks for this time of year

• halongbay07

Joined Travelfish
    4th March, 2009

im in bangkok at the moment and we really want to do a good jengle trek in the north. one travel agent told us chiang mai national park is the only option at this time of year, is this right?

and if not where is the best place for the most authentic treks with the best scenery ect?

brucemoon suggested chiang daio which i would have been happy to go to until the travel agent advised us you cant go there cos its still the wet season.

any help & tips would be great!

Thanks.

#1 Posted: 3/9/2009 - 17:41

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Isn't it still wet season in CM too?

Bruce Moon is not the ultimate expert on everything believe it or not. I'd look at the link Somtam posted too if I were you.

http://www.travelfish.org/feature/138

Looking at the weather map, Tak seems to be relatively dry in September so Sangkhlaburi might be an option but check what local papers are saying about the weather right now.

#2 Posted: 3/9/2009 - 17:53

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

halongbay07

Very simple solution - go change your travel agent.

Also, read this thread...

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/thailand/7448_trekking-in-northern-thailand--

ps. is this fast enough???

Cheers

#3 Posted: 3/9/2009 - 17:55

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

It's going to be wet regardless of where you go in the far north and I'd ignore what the travel agent said about Chiang Mai National Park -- primarily because there is no such thing.

If you're looking for a three night/four day trek and time is tight (ie you can't sit around and wait for a group to form) I'd say ignore the agent and go to Chiang Dao -- better still give one of the guesthouses there a call (we list the best ones on TF) and ask them what they can do for you -- they'll be able to better advise you on local conditions than some agent in Bangkok.

If Chiang Dao doesn't work, then Chiang Rai would be my second choice -- I'd go there before Pai or Soppong.

The other option is to go west instead of north -- Sangkhlaburi for example -- but then there are no "hilltribes", but plenty of stuff to do.

#4 Posted: 3/9/2009 - 17:57

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

halongbay07

Despite the venom from SBE, I try to help.

There's a good weather map at:

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/48327.html

For the next week or so, it suggests the area may incur storms, but not all-day wet.

If you 'click' on the map box on the left, it 'explodes' to a googl weather map:

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=18.78000069&lon=98.98000336&zoom=8&pin=Chiang%20Mai%2c%20Thailand&type=hyb&rad=0&wxsn=0&svr=0&cams=0&sat=1&sat.num=1&sat.spd=25&sat.opa=85&sat.gtt1=109&sat.gtt2=108&sat.type=VIS&riv=0&mm=0&hur=0

I don't know when you are planning to go trekking, but if the next day or so, you may get damp, but probably not 'wet'.

Cheers

#5 Posted: 3/9/2009 - 18:02

• halongbay07

Joined Travelfish
    4th March, 2009

thanks alot guys thats quality! and yeah bruce that was alot faster than i expected!!

#6 Posted: 3/9/2009 - 18:03

• halongbay07

Joined Travelfish
    4th March, 2009

cheers bruce, we are planning on heading north around the 9/10th of this month.

#7 Posted: 3/9/2009 - 18:07

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

"Despite the venom from SBE, I try to help."

Drowning other posters' advice out ... even Somtam's ... is not necessarily the most helpful thing you can do Bruce.

Somtam already posted the link I mentioned on another similar thread.

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/thailand/7448_trekking-in-northern-thailand--

There too the OP seemed to be under the mistaken impression that you knew more about trekking options in Thailand than Somtam does ... why is that do you think?

#8 Posted: 3/9/2009 - 18:59

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

if you are bent on heading to upper north (Chiangrai/Chiangmai) to trek - when you get there, ask around if anyone knows when Akha villages in the area will be celebrating their swing festival:
    http://akha.hilltribe.org/english/akha-swing.php

should be about this time of the year, & different villages stagger their dates so that people can go visit relatives & friends in other villages. some villages will also build the Akha version of a ferris wheel.

#9 Posted: 3/9/2009 - 20:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.