Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Mae Sariang

• ano_1

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2009

Hi,
    Was considering staying at Mae Sariang whilst driving Mae Hong Son loop. Seeking information from anyone who has taken the Mae Sariang day trip to Mae Sam Laeb and the Salween River... is it worthwhile? if so who did you arrange thru and approx cost?
    Many thanks for any help

#1 Posted: 10/9/2009 - 11:27

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

ano

You don't need to pay anyone to take you to Sam Lab, you can drive yourself - though the last kilometre needs a sturdy 4WD. I drove there in a small Honda sedan a couple of years ago. Parked at the viewpoint (if you drive, you'll know what I mean), and walked the rest.

Go look at this map and also this other map .

If you want to go to Tha Ta Fang village, you can hire a boatman at Sam Laeb.

Lovely countryside. Well worth the drive.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 10/9/2009 - 12:46

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

Yup,well worth the trip.The scenery is great and a trip on the Salween River the icing.Did a trip a few years back but I can't remember the price.I'm sure any guesthouse in Mae Sariang could organise it for you.

#3 Posted: 10/9/2009 - 16:03

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Funny, we've a researcher in Mae Sariang at the moment -- he did a tour of every single karaoke bar in town the night before last -- said it has an amazing number of bars for such a small town. Depending on the blurriness of the pics, we might make it into a story on the site.

As per the others the trip to Mae Sam Laeb is great and well worth doing. It's a very scenic spot. I did it by motorbike, no real need to do it as a tour, but there are a couple of small travel agents in town who can help you out.

Pretty part of the country.

#4 Posted: 10/9/2009 - 18:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.