Thailand forum

nakhon si thammarat anyone?

• fondo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2006
    Total reviews: 19
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Not a regular destination I know, but if anyone has information/recommendations about parks, beaches, accom, cultural interests - whatever - feel free to post!

I'll be driving down the Central Coast from Hua Hin, so anything along the way would be good to know too.

BTW, I've done extensive internet research, so I'm really looking for personal suggestions and experiences.

Cheers!

#1 Posted: 11/9/2009 - 08:09

• Advertisement

• fondo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 98

OK folks, I'll tell you about it when I get back.

#2 Posted: 16/9/2009 - 10:27

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

sorry have only been there as a kid many years ago :P

not sure if this falls under cultural interest...in case you happen to visit Wat Phra Mahathat in Nakhon Si Thammarat , it's where the craze over Jatukham Ramathep amulets peaked in 2006-7:
    http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/08/26/headlines/headlines_30046522.php

the most 'powerful' of such amulets were supposed to be those made & blessed at that particular temple. at the height of the craze, domestic flights & buses into Nakhon Si Thammarat were fully booked by believers flocking to Wat Mahathat, accomm was fully booked out, & there were daily articles in the Thai tabloids with claims of miracles witnessed by those who'd bought such amulets. IIRC there was a death + injuries when people got crushed in the stampede to obtain them, & reports saying that the foundations of temple's old chedi were being weakened by the huge increase in traffic. it wasn't just Thais - believers from Singapore & Malaysia also travelled there just to get hold of those amulets & have them blessed at that temple. there was even a special chartered 1-2-go flight that circled the city as monks made 'limited edition' amulets on board...guess you can visit that place as a temple of Thai 'Buddhism' gone a little 'extreme' ;)

#3 Posted: 16/9/2009 - 11:27

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Sorry that you haven't got much help here....

I lived in Nakhon Sri province about 2 years ago in a town called Thung Song. I'd go into the city on the weekend just to go shopping at Carrefour supermarket (real bread!!) and eat some pizza. Probably not anything you're interested in though!

There's some beaches along the coast but I haven't been there so I can't comment. There's also some hot springs, caves, and a moutain in the province which, since you have your own transportation, you could check out. There's a couple national parks... you can camp at Khao Luang.

One think N.S.T. is known for is shadow puppets -- there used to be a small shadow puppet making centre near Wat Matahat, but the guy died last year and I don't know what's become of it...

#4 Posted: 16/9/2009 - 16:10

• fondo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Thanks Guys

I'm heading off from Chumphon in about 2 hours. First stop Khanom. I'll let you know how I go.

#5 Posted: 23/9/2009 - 07:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Getting to Nakhon si Thammarat from Bangkok ... By dylanone on 24 Dec 2006 3 3304 27 Dec 2006
Getting to Nakhon Si Thammarat town ... By kay_kay on 21 Aug 2007 2 2600 22 Sep 2007
Car rental in Nakhon Si Thammarat ... By champer on 2 Feb 2011 0 2681 2 Feb 2011
Accommodation in Nakhon Si Thammarat ... By ecoldwell on 18 Nov 2008 5 2542 22 Nov 2008
phuket to Nakhon Si Thammarat ... By boxee on 28 Nov 2008 4 5020 31 Mar 2014
Nakhon si Thammarat to Pak Bara Ferry Point ... By ecoldwell on 2 Dec 2008 2 2755 4 Dec 2008
Prachuap Khiri Khan or Nakhon Si Thammarat? ... By banana8 on 27 Jul 2010 5 2113 28 Jul 2010
nakhon si thammarat thailand to Ko-Phan-Ngan? Or betteer beaches down south? ... By blueflowers987 on 17 Jan 2010 1 2458 18 Jan 2010