Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Which beach/island?

• Susan

Joined Travelfish
    14th October, 2005

We will be in Laos and maybe Vietnam or Cambodia for four weeks next February. We want to end the trip on a realaxing beach...Choices we are considering are Koh Pu/Jum, Ko Chang, or the Surin Isands Nat. Park. Also thought about Phu Quoc in Vietnam. Last time we were in Thailand we did the Poseidan Live aboard in the Similans and loved it, but we want to stay put this time at the beach. We are looking for a quiet spot, with good swimming and snorkeling not too far. Any suggestions would be welcome!

#1 Posted: 13/9/2009 - 07:34

• Advertisement

• furneburner

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

What about staying at poseidon's bungalows?

I'm doing poseidons similan trip and staying at their bungalows in December?

So the snorkeling trip is worthwhile? Did you see anything interesting (sharks, mantas, large fish, octopus etc)?

#2 Posted: 13/9/2009 - 08:22

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I really like both Jum and big Ko Chang - but they haven't got great snorkelling off the beach. Jum is the much more laid back of the two.

Of your list I'd go for the Surins (even though I haven't stayed there - but my experience of National Park accommodation on Adang and Tarutao is positive and I know snorkelling is top rate by Thai standards in the Surins).

#3 Posted: 13/9/2009 - 09:12

• furneburner

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

The surin's also some similar snorkeling packages available to the Similans, but they are quite expensive and involve accommodation on the islands (tent's or bungalows).

However, from what i have read, getting a boat to the island and organizing the accommodation yourself works out cheaper. But it would be advisable to organize the accommodation before you go as opposed to just rocking up.

#4 Posted: 13/9/2009 - 09:28

• Susan

Joined Travelfish
    14th October, 2005

Thanks for the advice. We did stay at Poseidon bungalows..very nice..the beach there was pretty small. The live aboard was great. My husband ended up in a bunk that seemed to get a lot of engine fumes..other than that we loved it. Now after further reading, we are thinking of dividing our beach time between Laoling and Kradan. Any advice on the best way to arrange transportation to each of them and between the two? Does going to one place first make more sense? After the week, we will head back to BKK for the flight home.

#5 Posted: 13/9/2009 - 22:11

• christof

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Lao Liang is really beautiful...I love it there. My friend mike runs the ecoresort on Lao Liang. They also do the transfer from Krabi on a regular basis. It is great value for money...tents are better than most beach huts and there is plenty of food. Snorkeling is good for beach snorkeling in Thailand. You can contact him at michaelweitzman@hotmail.com

The Surin Islands have sensational snorkeling. Furneburner is correct that it is better just to sort it out yourself. Transfers to the Surin Islands from Khuraburi were between 1200Bt-1600Bt return last season.

You do not need to book in advance in general. Only if you go at Christmas or Chinese New Year or Sonkran. Accommodation on the Surin Islands was 80Bt a night if you bring your own tent and 300Bt a night if you use one of theirs. Food is 80 Bt a meal or 200 Bt for the dinner set.

Another up and coming island is Koh Phra Thong which has snorkeling on a par with Lao Liang and some good cheap accommodation options. You can also make your visit to the Surin Islands from KPT (disclaimer: I run the Koh Phra Thong website and offer booking services for the local bungalows & homestay program. we do NOT profit from this. for our full policy please read about_us found by clicking the link at the top)

#6 Posted: 13/9/2009 - 23:15

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Re the Surins: The 1200B price is for a slow boat, 1600B for a speed boat. I prefer the slow boat myself because it's not as bumpy if there are waves and it doesn't take that much longer. If there aren't enough passengers they'll put you on the speed boat anyway (no extra charge).

You'll probably have to spend the night in Khuraburi as both types of boats leave at 9am and you have to be at the pier before this to sign in at the NP office. You can rent tents in Kuraburi if you want at Tom and Am's place... not nearly as good quality as the ones the NP has but if you're counting pennies it's a bit cheaper.

For Kradan,probably your best bet is to get an overnight sleeper train to Trang and go and see one of the travel agents near the station.I quite like Seabreeze ... right next to the station on yur left as you come out. They've always been very helpful and friendly every time I've used them but there are a number of other travel agents/cafes nearby too. Any of them can arrange transport and phone ahead to make sure there are vacancies ... they'll want to book you in for the first night probably but you don't have to book more than one night. See if you like it and change resorts if necessary when you're there if you like.

I think you'll have to come back to the mainland to transfer between Laoliang and Kradan unless you charter a private boat but ask about that when you get to Trang.

#7 Posted: 14/9/2009 - 02:33

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Alternative - Google Tigerline. Their fast ferry starts at Phi Phi, runs to Lanta, then Ngai/Muk/ and apparently starting this November, Kradan - the last 3 not necessarily in that order. From there it goes onto Ban Chao Mai pier near Trang, then Laoliang, then Lipe. Reverse order too of course.
    Their website also shows they have minibus connections with Trang, Phuket, Surathani and others, including Khao Lak from memory.
    I've travelled on it to Laoliang - fast, bit expensive.

The Trang islands daytrip boat out of Lanta is another alternative to Kradan.

#8 Posted: 14/9/2009 - 08:49

• Susan

Joined Travelfish
    14th October, 2005

Thank you..I like the idea of not having to go back to the mainland..

#9 Posted: 14/9/2009 - 20:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.