Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

looking for a great place to shack up for a month or two

• owsleybeck

Joined Travelfish
    1st May, 2007

I am getting booted out of China for a month or two as i have been working here for more than 5 years. I am hoping to find a great place to stay maybe in a bungalow that has great facilities that is affordable maybe some place that I can stay for a few months at a decent rate. I'm not really interested in staying in a city.

#1 Posted: 16/9/2009 - 15:44

• Advertisement

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

How soon are you getting booted out of China?

High season is coming up, so beach towns are going to start filling up and prices will rise. Your best bet for cheap long-term accommodations is the established backpacker-friendly islands like Ko Tao, Ko Phangan, or Ko Lanta. Lots of people stay there for weeks (or months) at a time, so wrangling yourself a longterm discount should be easy.

I can't make any specific recommendations for the islands as I haven't been out there recently, but here's one for Phuket that I know does good monthly rates. I know you said no cities, but Phuket is big and you could rent a motorbike and explore a new beach every day :)

Joe Mansion: ~5,500 B per month + util

#2 Posted: 16/9/2009 - 16:17

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Maybe consider one of the Mekong riverside towns in the NE, in particular Sangkhom, Chiang Khan, or the biggest of the bunch, Nong Khai. Even NK has a small town feel to it.

All of them have great, inexpensive places to stay, have all the facilities most people could want, and are not busy with tourists.

#3 Posted: 16/9/2009 - 18:53

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Meant to add Mukdahan and Khong Chiam, as well. Khong Chiam, while gorgeous and quiet, is a bit more off the track, but it still has pretty much everything one might need for that long and it's only about 45 minutes from Ubon.

#4 Posted: 16/9/2009 - 18:56

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

And Trat.

#5 Posted: 16/9/2009 - 20:47

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Stuart
    The advertising page can't be eliminated and is blocking this thread. I think it'ss a tech problem.

#6 Posted: 16/9/2009 - 22:11

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

same as MADMAC, noticed that the message block portion is extra wide, but at least i can access the thread.

i think i'd definitely want to have a view of water somewhere, so would likely either try to pick an island like durian suggests or a nice spot along the mekong river in the northeast. i imagine the northeast would be less expensive and a bit more charming. two months? you'd have time for one of each...

tilapia's suggestion of trat appeals to me quite a bit because i have really enjoyed my time there, plus it is close to several good little islands where you could make a series of week-long visits.

if you haven't yet, look into getting the currently offered no-cost 60-day Thai tourist visa before you arrive in Bangkok so you'll have the most flexibility on where you go and how long you stay.

#7 Posted: 17/9/2009 - 07:12

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

MadMac, exacto, is that better?

Tks

#8 Posted: 17/9/2009 - 07:36

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

yes. page layout looks normal now.

#9 Posted: 17/9/2009 - 07:45

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

It would help if you narrowed down what you were looking for in a place. There are plenty of interesting places, but specifics on what kind of "facilities" you would like and on how much you want to spend would help narrow the search.

#10 Posted: 17/9/2009 - 12:49

• Advertisement

• owsleybeck

Joined Travelfish
    1st May, 2007

Thanks so far guys. Well to specify a little more. I should have about 150,000BT to 200,000BT for the two months. If I'm getting a forced vacation I want to make it worth my time. I was thinking perhaps south down Lanta way or Phuket . A great cozy guest house or maybe if its only for a month I may look into renting a pool Villa. I was also considering staying at the Marine Park Resort in Lanta if I can get a good deal with those guys as the last time I stayed there I hade a great time.

Basically I am interested in a base of operations that has reliable Wifi so that I can continue doing my Job while i am away and some place where I can relax as well.

I think Krabi or Phuket will be great because it is close to a lot of options for weekend trips and what not such as Koh Pha Thong.

So I am willing to spend anywhere from 5000 to 60,000 BHT a month.

Im not to concerned with the price I just want great atmposphere and great people maybe do a month on the cheap and a month on the rich side. that sort of thing. So anyone that has some great ideas or that are cheap or expensive please contribute to the thread!

B

#11 Posted: 17/9/2009 - 20:08

• xontros

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2009

I could stay in Koh Tao for a couple of months. Or even more... It has a very relaxed easy going atmosphere. And the sea is magnificent!

#12 Posted: 18/9/2009 - 06:47

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Can't help you much, as you sound like you want to be down south near the ocean. I live way up north.

#13 Posted: 18/9/2009 - 12:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.