Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Kanchanaburi to Bangkok during Songkran

• ano_1

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2009

Hi,

Have just realised travel plans I have made rely on the mini or other buses running between Kanchanaburi and Bangkok during Songkran, has anyone any ideas/experience re this. Thanks for any help.

#1 Posted: 17/9/2009 - 16:44

• Advertisement

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

Hi,
    Buses still run in Songkran. Choice of minibus from your guest house or government bus from the local station (goes to Southern bus terminal in Bangkok).

In Kanchanaburi, Songkran last a whole week, rather than a day. The road is blocked with trucks all day & most of the evening, throwing water so allow extra time for any trip. Also, if you are using the government bus station it will not be possible to arrive there dry! Be ye warned!

(Actually I would try to avoid Kanchanburi during Songkran as a whole week of being unable to walk around without getting soaked does get on your nerves after the first 3 days!)

#2 Posted: 17/9/2009 - 20:21

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

The train from Bangkok Noi station in Thon Buri to Kanchanaburi and reverse may be an option too. As far as I know, it continues to run through the holiday period, although you'll be a sitting duck on the train for people looking to soak a farang.

I'm with Mike on this one. I try to keep a low profile during the Songkran holiday, at least after the first few days.

#3 Posted: 18/9/2009 - 04:42

• ano_1

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2009

mike and exacto,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am working under the assumption that Songkran is celebrated 13-15/4/2010 inclusive and hoped getting out of Kanchanaburi on the morning of 13/4 may avoid the worse ( or best?- depending how you view it!) of it. Can I have your thoughts please.
    ps: we were in phuket during a previous Songkran and whilst the tourists celebrated it for 3 days plus., Thais celebrated it seriously for the 1 day only, though cannot recall which day that was!
    again my thanks for the help.

#4 Posted: 18/9/2009 - 05:37

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

Yes, I think songkran starts on the 13th. The event in Phuket is small beer to what happens in Kanchanburi, trust me it's a whole week! Talcum powder as well! If you are only there for a day or two it might be good fun, it's just not so funny when you are drenched through (back pack & all) and have to sit on a bus for a few hours.

#5 Posted: 18/9/2009 - 14:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.